Topics

eBay / PayPal Changes and our alternatives

Tom Gardner

I did not write that. Please be careful with your attributions.

On 11/08/20 01:01, John Griessen wrote:
On 8/10/20 3:24 PM, Tom Gardner wrote:
  since I'm buried in unused tech stuff. Where is the
best place to find new owners given that we will no longer sell on ebay?Does
this forum have a For Sale area?
I use the Test-Equipment-For-Sale-Wanted-or-Exchange@groups.io list for buying selling and the specific groups also and always have a better experience than ebay since 5 years ago.

There is no reputation system in those yet, and it just works because of the narrow focus and most of those people are good rep. Is there any FOSS project to replicate the good reputation building tracking of transactions that ebay has done?

John Griessen

--
John Griessen

Tom Gardner

Why not put them on the DiLette Sales corporate website?

On 10/08/2020, Dick Wilson at DiLette Sales via groups.io
<cmdrdick42=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Just a quick question, since I'm buried in unused tech stuff. Where is the
best place to find new owners given that we will no longer sell on ebay?Does
this forum have a For Sale area?

Dave Daniel

There is the groups.io Test-Equipment-For-Sale group.

DaveD

On Aug 10, 2020, at 14:14, Dick Wilson at DiLette Sales via groups.io <cmdrdick42=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Just a quick question, since I'm buried in unused tech stuff. Where is the best place to find new owners given that we will no longer sell on ebay?Does this forum have a For Sale area?
On Saturday, August 8, 2020, 12:34:42 PM EDT, Dick Wilson at DiLette Sales via groups.io <cmdrdick42=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Eastern Airlines had a high concentration of refugees from Cuba. I suppose that I should have said Cuban Americans. They were known to be staunch supporters of their unions and willing to fight for their rights. My own route often included Miami as a layover. I partied with and know several of them personally. I supported their cause. Carl Icahn was a cold blooded corporate raiding SOB whose greed had no bounds.
On Friday, August 7, 2020, 12:28:15 PM EDT, DaveC via groups.io <davec2468=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Cubans?

Dave

... What totally shocks me given the high percentage of Cubans that were affected, is that he is still walking around.CmdrDick

DaveC <davec2468@...>

Cubans?

Dave

... What totally shocks me given the high percentage of Cubans that were affected, is that he is still walking around.CmdrDick

Dick Wilson at DiLette Sales

Just as an added note, I read one article that added the brute, Carl Icahn to the mix.
https://www.paymentssource.com/"Four years after leading a charge to make PayPal more nimble by severing it from eBay, investor Carl Icahn is reportedly dissolving his investments in the payment company.Icahn originally pushed for eBay and PayPal to separate in 2014, arguing eBay's ownership of the payment company made other partners reluctant to collaborate with PayPal out of competitive concerns. Reuters reported the sale of Icahn's stake, as well as dumping his position in AIG.eBay's management initially pushed back against Icahn by arguing the auction/payment company tie-up was inseparable and noting eBay's earlier attempt to build its own payment engine failed. eBay also reported PayPal received most of its digital payments volume from eBay purchases. eBay initially purchased PayPal in 2002, beginning a long relationship of intertwined services.But the companies separated later in 2014, with PayPal's management changing its tune by trumpeting an independent PayPal's ability to quickly add new digital transaction technology and merchant partners to compete with Square, Amazon and Walmart as well as pursue its goal of supporting payments inside physical stores.That take turned out to be correct, as PayPal has reported strong earnings driven by its expanding Venmo P2P app and its Braintree software development business.PayPal and eBay had retained a nominal payment processing relationship, though that too has begun to wane, as eBay chose to gradually shift processing to Adyen over the next five years.Icahn, who dumped his eBay position after the PayPal split, has been gradually selling off his PayPal position more recently while adding to his positions in Herbalife and Hertz. Icahn's investing career dates to the 1980s, when he was known as a "corporate raider." ".Just as a reminder, Carl Icahn is the bloke responsible for the demise of Eastern Airlines and the dissolving of their employee retirement fund. He got hundreds of millions richer while thousands of employees futures were decimated. What totally shocks me given the high percentage of Cubans that were affected, is that he is still walking around.CmdrDick

On Thursday, August 6, 2020, 01:02:35 PM EDT, Steve Goldstein <steveg6@...> wrote:

PayPal was originally called Xoom - Elon Musk was one of the founders.
There's no relationship I know of to the present-day company with that
name.  Since interest rates were high when it started their plan was to
make money off the float of what people kept in their accounts - they
advertised "Always Free" or something like that.  They later changed their
name to PayPal and the fees started.  Then it was sold to eBay, and later
spun out again with some sort of arrangement remaining between the two
companies..

Steve Goldstein

PayPal was originally called Xoom - Elon Musk was one of the founders.
There's no relationship I know of to the present-day company with that
name. Since interest rates were high when it started their plan was to
make money off the float of what people kept in their accounts - they
advertised "Always Free" or something like that. They later changed their
name to PayPal and the fees started. Then it was sold to eBay, and later
spun out again with some sort of arrangement remaining between the two
companies..

Vince Vielhaber

I'm in a number of ebay FB groups and needless to say Managed Payments, aka Ayden, is a recurring topic. The thing is, the only concerns or complaints anyone has is before they switch - nobody likes change. After they switch, noone is complaining, at least not publicly.

Vince - K8ZW.

On 08/06/2020 11:56 AM, Dennis Tillman W7pF wrote:
I missed this follow-up announcement from eBay on April 19, 2018 which says
buyers will still be able to use PayPal to pay for goods until July 2023.
After I read this my conclusion was that this notice was very carefully
written to deliberately avoid any mention at all about eBay requiring
sellers to switch to Ayden which they will still have to do. That tells me
that eBay still thinks they can force sellers to move to Ayden.
Ebay must be very confident they will not lose many sellers by making them
switch to Ayden. Time will tell.
Dennis Tillman W7pF
------
eBay and PayPal today confirmed the signing of a previously-announced
agreement to offer PayPal as a way to pay on eBay until July 2023. This new
agreement builds on the payments partnership between the companies to make
PayPal available as a payment option on eBay's new intermediated payments
model.

"PayPal has been a great partner for eBay, and as part of our new payments
experience PayPal will continue to be a key form of payment for our global
customers," said Devin Wenig, president and CEO, eBay. "We are pleased to
continue to offer PayPal as a form of payment on eBay and look forward to a
continued, strong partnership with PayPal going forward."
------
Dennis Tillman W7pF