Topics

OT - Any interest in starting a Tektronix Logic Analyzer Group?

jslcanuck

Of course; we understand the evolution of the technology and the industry, but
there are as many valid (and often personal) reasons for wanting to run this old
stuff as there were for that abandoment. Rather than continue the debate here,
though, what the hell...

I was going to hold off annoucing until I'd gotten it a little better established, but
I might as well come out now, while a few people are interested. I've created the
group "Logic Analyzers" at https://groups.io/g/logicanalyzers

At the moment it's right out of the box, so please be patient while the usual setup
bugs get worked out.

I also want to be clear on one thing: ALL MAKES, ALL DIGITAL DEVELOPMENT
AND DEBUG EQUIPMENT. No brand snobbery. Logic analyzers, emulators
(another category completely unrepresented, and hard as hell to find anything on
them), signature analyzers, the lot. At this point I'd say "Everthing except device
programmers", because I don't want to poach those from the Data I/O group, which
is fabulous and where we make room for other makes too.

Also, regarding the old Yahoo Tektronix Logic Analyzers group that only has a
placeholder here: I've had a number of conversations with John, the group's
owner, and he's indicated that it failed to transition to groups.io because of the
cost involved, but that he has the archive. I've offered whatever assistance I
can muster to recover the archive's content (at no cost) so that it can make its
way to his groups.io group. What happens with that group (and content) relative
to this new one is a conversation we can have later.

So, folks, BRING IT! Let's get the forum rolling, and I can't wait to see how fast we
can fill up that 1gig allocation with manuals and software!

Jonathan

There was a Tek Logic Analyzer Group on Yahoo.
I was very excited when I found it several years ago and I joined it only to discover that there was very little activity. I suspect that when it was first formed there was a significant amount of interest and activity. I was disappointed when it seemed that over time members lost interest for a variety of reasons.

I suspect there are many reasons why that happened such as:
1) The logic analyzer business is very risky because development costs are very high, product lifetimes are short, potential market size is small, and product delays can result in a useless product.
2) CPU technology evolves at a lightning pace and CPU speeds are so fast hardware can't possibly keep up.
3) Tek got out of the market long ago (wisely).
4) There are cheaper alternatives.

Personally I still enjoy connecting 8-bit and 16-bit CPUs to logic analyzers which is how I learned a great deal about computers back in the late 1970s when I built my first personal computer.

I would love to see a new forum created on Groups.io for Tek Logic Analyzers.
Dennis Tillman W7pF

--
Dennis Tillman W7pF
TekScopes Moderator