From: TekScopes@groups.io [mailto:TekScopes@groups.io] On Behalf Of Roger Evans via groups.io
Sent: 04 August 2020 15:56
To: TekScopes@groups.io
Subject: Re: [TekScopes] FG502

The fine adjustment knob gives about a factor of ten improvement in the precision with which you can set the frequency measured against a DC503 counter. The only reason that comes immediately to mind is that it would help to give an almost static Lissajous figure in XY mode against some other generator. Any other ideas?

Roger

Stephen

On Tue, Aug 4, 2020 at 03:56 AM, Roger Evans wrote:

The fine adjustment knob gives about a factor of ten improvement in the
precision with which you can set the frequency measured against a DC503
counter. The only reason that comes immediately to mind is that it would help
to give an almost static Lissajous figure in XY mode against some other
generator. Any other ideas?

Roger

Hummm... Interesting. If only my FG503 was working...
I have to find the time to get back to it..

Roger Evans

The fine adjustment knob gives about a factor of ten improvement in the precision with which you can set the frequency measured against a DC503 counter. The only reason that comes immediately to mind is that it would help to give an almost static Lissajous figure in XY mode against some other generator. Any other ideas?

Roger

Stephen

On Mon, Aug 3, 2020 at 10:33 PM, Colin Herbert wrote:

Interleaved

The pdf manual that I have doesn't suggest that there is a detent. However ,
it describes it as a "Frequency Vernier" and labels it "CAL". Confusingly, the
photo on TekWiki labels it "VAR". My FG503 and FG504 both label the similar
controls "VAR", but it has to be said that the labels are a little worn. I
might suggest that the photo on TekWiki shows a replacement knob for the
original "CAL" knob. But I have been wrong before.
Mine also reads “VAR”...

This all beggars the question of why a "Frequency Vernier" is needed when
there is a big "Frequency Hz" control on all of these Function Generators?
Yep

Perhaps it just adjusts the frequency over a small range?
Colin.
Probably. I’m no expert, but I don’t really see any practical use for that feature.