From: TekScopes@groups.io [mailto:TekScopes@groups.io] On Behalf Of Peter K via groups.io
Sent: 10 August 2020 11:22
To: TekScopes@groups.io
Subject: Re: [TekScopes] 2432A Chan Delay adjustment

Thanks for the guidance.
From Scope’s SM I read, that I have to connect CH1 and CH2 through a 10X attenuator to generator and set it output amplitude to MAX. In specs for the PG506 is written that max output signal is 100V.
That means, that the scope expects fast rise signal with amplitude 10V and unknown frequency.
I tried different ones from 1 kHz to 1 MHz with no luck.
I will keep use it that way until I find a suitable calibration device .
Regards,
Peter.

Peter K

Thanks for the guidance.
From Scope’s SM I read, that I have to connect CH1 and CH2 through a 10X attenuator to generator and set it output amplitude to MAX. In specs for the PG506 is written that max output signal is 100V.
That means, that the scope expects fast rise signal with amplitude 10V and unknown frequency.
I tried different ones from 1 kHz to 1 MHz with no luck.
I will keep use it that way until I find a suitable calibration device .
Regards,
Peter.

victor.silva

Looking up the specs for the PG506 from the manual available online shows that the fast rise output has a risetime of 1ns or better.
I think the max is about 1V and 1 MHz should be fine.

--Victor

Roger Evans

Peter,

I don't have direct experience of this but typically an amplitude of 1V or so and PRF of 1kHz - 1MHz would be fine. The scope is looking for a well defined (in time) trigger point and comparing the actual position of the trace on screen with where the calibration software thinks it should be. You would need a risetime in the 1ns region, possibly 2ns would be OK.

Regards,

Roger

Peter K

Thanks for the answer.
I did not find anything like the one described.
There is a video with this procedure in youtube for 2430:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8Ig3QeHfm4
It seems that 2430 don’t need chan delay adjustment.
I just want to know what signal the scope expected from signal generator to pass this routine. SM only says to set the Calibration Generator (PG506) for fast rise output.

Colin Herbert

I think you'll find that there is a switch to the right of the AMPLITUDE rotary switch which looks a little like the "AC/GND/DC" switches on many Tek scopes. This switch is marked STD AMPL/FAST RISE/HIGH AMPL and when put in the FAST RISE position the PERIOD led lights up and the AMPLITUDE led extinguishes. The controls on the greyed section of the front panel become operational and you can select the PERIOD and PULSE AMPLITUDE. The outputs are two BNCs; either fall or rise. It should all be in the manual.
Colin.

My scope 2432A gave a 9300 Trigs/Repet fail error some time ago. It works fine but I decided to fix it.
I did do a cold start and self cal passed. Also Atten Gain and Trigger adjustments passed.
My difficulty is Chan Delay adjustment. The Service manual (page 5-13) just said: “Set the Calibration Generator for a FAST RISE output”. But it is not clear what frequency and amplitude (Vp-p) is expected by the scope. I don’t have Calibration Generator PG 506. I read the manual on PG506, but it did not become clear.
I know that for non-critical applications the external calibration can be ignored, but I just won’t to remove the annoying inscription on start up
Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks, Peter.

Peter K