Topics

TM 500 Power Module Tester and Utility Power Supply

Dave Casey

There are already photos on the TekWiki page for this plugin showing
exactly what you're asking for. The unit shown is of identical construction
to mine (down to the sharpie labeling of the PWB part number and the
hand-scribed number in the soldermask above it).

Dave Casey

On Sat, Aug 1, 2020 at 1:15 AM Bill Perkins <sales@...> wrote:

I have one that was made by Tek (has a Tek serial number). It has a
single,
purpose built Tek PWB in it, which has been numbered "670-8715-00" in
Sharpie. The two trimmers in mine are Bourns 386 series. All the front
panel controls and I/O are connected to the PWB with hookup wire
(including
the Scope output). The board is laid out such that all these connection
points are near the front panel end of the PWB, and they all appear to
be
labeled in the etch layer.

Dave Casey
Would you mind pulling the covers off and taking a few photos of each
side of the PCB and both sides of the front panel?

I'm interested in building one myself too.

Thanks!
Jared
Likewise . . .

Bill

Bill Perkins

I have one that was made by Tek (has a Tek serial number). It has a single,
purpose built Tek PWB in it, which has been numbered "670-8715-00" in
Sharpie. The two trimmers in mine are Bourns 386 series. All the front
panel controls and I/O are connected to the PWB with hookup wire (including
the Scope output). The board is laid out such that all these connection
points are near the front panel end of the PWB, and they all appear to be
labeled in the etch layer.

Dave Casey
Would you mind pulling the covers off and taking a few photos of each side of the PCB and both sides of the front panel?
I'm interested in building one myself too.
Thanks!
Jared
Likewise . . .

Bill

Jared Cabot

On Sat, Aug 1, 2020 at 12:39 PM, Dave Casey wrote:

[...]

On Fri, Jul 31, 2020 at 12:43 PM Colin Herbert via groups.io <colingherbert=
blueyonder.co.uk@groups.io> wrote:

Does anyone know any more about this item? It has the ID# 067-1201-99 and
I have the Tek "manual" for it as a pdf. There was also another document
which was termed "Construction Note". Did Tek make any of these, or did
they see them as totally for people to make themselves? The "manual" that I
have has the ID# 061-3001-00. The "Construction Note" (which I also have a
pdf of) seems to be exactly that as well as being a Service Manual in that
it gives some assembly information that would be useful to a constructor.
Both documents include a schematic, but I cannot find any information on
the function of two preset pots R127 and R227. These are described in the
Replaceable Electric Parts List as "non-wirewound, 5K0, 20%, 0.5W" and I am
assuming that they set the +15VDC and -15VDC output levels respectively.

It looks like an interesting item.

Colin.

On Fri, Jul 31, 2020 at 12:43 PM, Colin Herbert wrote:

[...]

Colin,
The pots are Bi Technologies MODEL 72
3/8” Square Single Turn Cermet Trimming Potentiometer
https://www.mouser.com/datasheet/2/414/72-3497.pdf

Looks like any jelly bean trimmer would work,'

Cheers,
Dave M

Dave Seiter

It's on tekwiki, the last entry in the TM500 section.

On Friday, July 31, 2020, 12:39:58 PM PDT, Larry McDavid <lmcdavid@...> wrote:

Someone please provide the locations where these documents are available
or actual links to the documents. It is not helpful to talk about the
documents and not link to them.

Larry

On 7/31/2020 11:21 AM, Harvey White wrote:
It's worth building, if only partially.

As designed, it allows you to check AC voltage and phasing, bulk
supplies, power transistor beta (not directly), and provides a +5 and
+/- 15 volt general purpose supply.

Tektronix may or may not have made these, I don't know.  The description
suggests that it was intended for internal use as a testing tool.

If you do not want or need the regulated supplies, then bringing out the
transistors individually allows using a transistor tester.  A plugin
strip for a 5 volt regulated supply and pickoffs for the other pins (to
go to a front panel) could be made fairly easily, there are some designs
already that simply bring out the pins.  What you do with those pins is
up to you.

It's a design where you could throw a bit of technology at it and
automate some things, but that's an "up to you" kind of thing.

The pots are in the feedback circuit for the regulators and should
adjust the 15 volt supplies.

Harvey

On 7/31/2020 1:43 PM, Colin Herbert via groups.io wrote:
Does anyone know any more about this item? It has the ID# 067-1201-99
and I have the Tek "manual" for it as a pdf. There was also another
document which was termed "Construction Note". Did Tek make any of
these, or did they see them as totally for people to make themselves?
The "manual" that I have has the ID# 061-3001-00. The "Construction
Note" (which I also have a pdf of) seems to be exactly that as well as
being a Service Manual in that it gives some assembly information that
would be useful to a constructor. Both documents include a schematic,
but I cannot find any information on the function of two preset pots
R127 and R227. These are described in the Replaceable Electric Parts
List as "non-wirewound, 5K0, 20%, 0.5W" and I am assuming that they

--
Best wishes,

Larry McDavid W6FUB
Anaheim, California  (SE of Los Angeles, near Disneyland)

Larry McDavid

[...]

Harvey White

[...]

Colin Herbert