Topics

Tek 603 - transistor markings

toby@...

Hi,

I noticed some of the transistors in the 603 Z amplifier have blue and
white stripes on the _back_, e.g. the 2N3906 pictured here:

https://groups.io/g/TekScopes/photo/249616/0?p=Created,,,20,2,0,0

Does anyone know the significance of the stripes? Some have 3, some have 2.

Just curious,
--Toby

Dave Seiter

I have lots of transistors marked like this- I think it was done so after hand assembly one could look at the colors and quickly determine if any of them were in the wrong location, or if an incorrect type had been used.  That said, I've also seen the same color codes on multiple types, so who knows.
-Dave

On Saturday, July 18, 2020, 06:50:15 PM PDT, toby@... <toby@...> wrote:

Hi,

I noticed some of the transistors in the 603 Z amplifier have blue and
white stripes on the _back_, e.g. the 2N3906 pictured here:

https://groups.io/g/TekScopes/photo/249616/0?p=Created,,,20,2,0,0

Does anyone know the significance of the stripes? Some have 3, some have 2.

Just curious,
--Toby

White, black, blue would be 906 for the 2N3906.

White, black, yellow would be a 2N3904.

Regards

On 2020-07-18 9:56 p.m., Dave Seiter wrote:
I have lots of transistors marked like this- I think it was done so after hand assembly one could look at the colors and quickly determine if any of them were in the wrong location, or if an incorrect type had been used.  That said, I've also seen the same color codes on multiple types, so who knows.
My best guess is that it is binning or matching done by Tek on incoming
parts (e.g. hFE range), but I don't really know.

--Toby

-Dave
On Saturday, July 18, 2020, 06:50:15 PM PDT, toby@... <toby@...> wrote:

Hi,

I noticed some of the transistors in the 603 Z amplifier have blue and
white stripes on the _back_, e.g. the 2N3906 pictured here:

https://groups.io/g/TekScopes/photo/249616/0?p=Created,,,20,2,0,0

Does anyone know the significance of the stripes? Some have 3, some have 2.

Just curious,
--Toby

Kerry Burns

I’ve also seen these striped transistors used in 1970s Revox audio equipment – probably occurred in other brands too.

Kerry

On 2020-07-19 12:09 a.m., Kerry Burns wrote:
I’ve also seen these striped transistors used in 1970s Revox audio equipment – probably occurred in other brands too.

Kerry

Here's another example from a Fluke DMM.

From: <TekScopes@groups.io> on behalf of <toby@...>
Reply to: <TekScopes@groups.io>
Date: Sunday, 19 July 2020 at 1:45 pm
To: <TekScopes@groups.io>

On 2020-07-18 9:56 p.m., Dave Seiter wrote:

[...]

Miguel Work

In some manual I read that was a code for a factory selected transistors, colours is a beta code.

From: <TekScopes@groups.io> on behalf of <toby@...>
Reply to: <TekScopes@groups.io>
Date: Sunday, 19 July 2020 at 1:45 pm
To: <TekScopes@groups.io>