Topics

DP512 12 GHz Digital Prescaler

Egge Siert

Hi to All,

Just spotted on eBay.de: chassisparts of a DP512 12 GHz Digital Prescaler with a front like the DP501. Anybody who knows more of this? Some time ago I also spotted a single wide Rubidium Standard with the usual late TM500 colours.

https://www.ebay.de/itm/Tektronix-Gehauseteile-von-Einschuben/293621089346?hash=item445d2e4442:g:PmUAAOSwxJVe7nZX

Greetings,

Egge Siert

JoeKoch

Hi,
I buyed it.
The front looks like a modified DP501 and the holes for LEDs are drilled afterwards. The front is also not a typical laminate for the late series, its a thick plastic ( ~1 mm ) . I never had seen such a front type.

The other Rubidium Standard plugin with the blue PCBs are selfmade. I owned these PCBs also . Version 1 PCB is not really ok, wrong holes and wrong contact spacing.

cheers

Joe

Egge Siert

Hi Joe,

From a German eBay Member (I assume a former Tektronix Germany employee) I got the following answer:

"Guten Tag, ja ich weiß es, es sollte mal einen Eigenbau eines Prescalers bis 14 GHZ werden, das Projekt wurde aber nie gestartet.

Mfg Klaus Chudzinski"

The earlier mentioned Rubidium Standard Plug-In was in fact a 10MHz GPS Standard named GS510. Pictures of it are now in the posession of TekWiki.

Greetings,

Egge Siert

stevenhorii

I believe at one time a company called Spectracom built a TM500 rubidium
frequency standard plug-in.

On Sat, Jul 11, 2020 at 04:36 Egge Siert <eggeja2@...> wrote:

Hi Joe,

From a German eBay Member (I assume a former Tektronix Germany employee) I
got the following answer:

"Guten Tag, ja ich weiß es, es sollte mal einen Eigenbau eines Prescalers
bis 14 GHZ werden, das Projekt wurde aber nie gestartet.

Mfg Klaus Chudzinski"

The earlier mentioned Rubidium Standard Plug-In was in fact a 10MHz GPS
Standard named GS510. Pictures of it are now in the posession of TekWiki.

Greetings,

Egge Siert

Holger Lübben

HI!

A german Tektronix fan constructed three plugins:

1) RO510 10MHz Rubidium Oszillator. Two protoypes were built.
http://w140.com/tekwiki/wiki/RO510

2) DP512: A 12GHz 1:1000 prescaler. One prototype was built. It worked up to 14GHz.

3) GS510: A 10MHz Oszillator based on a trimble GPS module. One prototype was built
http://w140.com/tekwiki/wiki/GS510

All prototypes were constructed around this card:
http://w140.com/tekwiki/wiki/SD_TEK_500_Prototype_Card

There was a plan to finish the construction and to sell these plugins. But unfortunately the constructor died.
None of the involved people had any relationship to Tektronix.

Holger

Hi Egge Siert,
You have only part of the story.

There is a TM 500 Rubidium Standard. It is the PTB-100. It was made by the Efratom Division of Ball Aerospace which can be seen at
http://w140.com/tekwiki/wiki/Ball_Efratom_PTB-100
I have had two of these over the years.

There are at least two other TM500 GPS Frequency Standards. I made the first one in 2008 using a Rockwell-Jupiter GPS Receiver and a Phase Locked Loop designed by James Miller G3RUH. I found the design on the internet. They are no longer there but I saved a copy. I will include it in a PDF documenting both of the GPS frequency standards I built.

I built his design in a single wide TM500 prototype. I named it my "FS501 GPS Frequency Standard".
In 2012 John Miles KE5FX gave a much better GPS Receiver module. This was a Trimble Thunderbolt. I combined this with a wonderful Monitor program designed by Didier Juges KO4BB, who, among other things maintains the manuals depository at
http://www.ko4bb.com/getsimple/index.php?id=manuals
That became my "FS502 GPS Frequency Standard". That has been working ever since 2012.

I recently was given an HP Z3801A GPS Receiver which, according to John Miles is an excellent GPS receiver. Unfortunately the PC Boards inside it would require a triple wide TM500 to accommodate them. So I may not be able to make that the basis of another GPS plugin unless I can find a 3-wide TM5xx plugin to take apart for its case. I do have 6 Nixie Tubes for it because something this accurate only deserves the best possible display. I am pretty sure I can fit the Nixie Tubes into the HP Z3801A but it will be tight.

I really like how you did the front panel of the GS510. What did you use? I would love to be able to duplicate that same material and style that Tek switched to even if it is not as durable as the anodized aluminum front panels of most of the 7000 plugins and TM500 plugins.

Dennis Tillman W7pF.

--
Dennis Tillman W7pF
TekScopes Moderator

Harvey White

Could you make a 3 wide frame from two defunct 500 series plugins?  Left, right and a center plugin to support the front panel, although you could argue the center one depending on what voltages you need.

Harvey

On 7/12/2020 4:39 PM, Dennis Tillman W7pF wrote:
[...]

Hi Dennis,

Sorry to say I am not involved with the GS510. According to Holger Lübben: this was a German Tektronix Fan who died. Thus I assume his knowledge is lost.

Greetings,

Egge Siert

garp66

hi Dennis,

If I understand, from msg# https://groups.io/g/TekScopes/message/144922,

Ed states that there were at least 3 different versions of the PBT-100:

-- Does anyone know in detail what the differences were ?

-- & If some modifications could make my unit have better performance ?
If so, I am hoping you might deposit this information on the TekWiki for our edification.

I have the M-100 docs, but is there any additional .pdf's Or Tek docs ?

I would like to know more about this unit !

thank you,
rick