From: TekScopes@groups.io [mailto:TekScopes@groups.io] On Behalf Of John
Sent: Tuesday, July 14, 2020 10:19 AM
To: TekScopes@groups.io
Subject: Re: [TekScopes] 2465 Project, story so far.

Awesome, thank you for this info, I have managed to dig out a couple of 27128 Eproms so will be able to load the binaries onto these and preserve the originals (just in case).
Just need to find a eprom copier to plug them into.
I will keep you informed if they work, thanks again for your help.

John Carter

Awesome, thank you for this info, I have managed to dig out a couple of 27128 Eproms so will be able to load the binaries onto these and preserve the originals (just in case).
Just need to find a eprom copier to plug them into.
I will keep you informed if they work, thanks again for your help.

John Carter

Chuck Harris

Some different sizes were used over the life of the plain 2465.

U2162 was variously:
160-1994-03 SN:B010101 -> B010999 (16K)
160-1994-04 SN:B011000 -> B012499 (16K)
160-1994-06 SN:B012500 -> B021965 (16K)
160-1994-07 SN:B021966 -> on up (16K)
---------------------------------------
160-1628-03 SN:B010101 -> B010999 (8K)
160-1628-04 SN:B011000 -> B012499 (8K)
---------------------------------------
160-1628-06 SN:B012500 -> B021965 (4K)
160-1628-07 SN:B021966 -> B025239 (4K)
160-1628-08 SN:B025240 -> on up (4K)

U2178 was variously:
160-1625-03 SN:B010100 -> B010999 (8K)
160-1625-04 SN:B011000 -> B012499 (8K)
160-1625-06 SN:B012500 -> B021965 (8K)

U2362 was variously:
160-1627-03 SN:B010100 -> B010999 (8K)
160-1627-04 SN:B011000 -> B012499 (8K)
160-1627-06 SN:B012500 -> B021965 (8K)

U2378 was variously:
160-1626-03 SN:B010100 -> B010999 (8K)
160-1626-04 SN:B011000 -> B012499 (8K)
160-1626-06 SN:B012500 -> B021965 (8K)
---------------------------------------
160-1995-03 SN:B010100 -> B010999 (16K)
160-1995-04 SN:B011000 -> B012499 (16K)
160-1995-06 SN:B012500 -> B021965 (16K)
160-1995-07 SN:B021966 -> B025239 (16K)
160-1995-08 SN:B025240 -> on up (16K)

So, if you have 1994-08, and 1995-09, they are 16K, and go in sockets
U2162 and U2378.

1994-09, and 1995-09 are newer than my manual, but they
are socketed the same as the 07, and 08.

Newer should work just fine.

-Chuck Harris

John wrote:

Hi All, I think that I have managed to find something close to the original 2465 ROM's, is anyone on here able to tell me the difference between these pairs of ROMs
Original 160-1994-08 (cant find)
Original 160-1995-08 (cant find)
and
106-1994-09 (have got binaries)
106-1995-09 (have got binaries)
Is it just a later version of ROM or is it for a different model scope ?

Thanks in advance

Siggi

Hey John,

if you look on TekWiki, you'll find a whole lot of ROM images:
http://w140.com/tekwiki/wiki/ROM_images. These are tagged with the
instrument they belong to, and I believe the suffixes are the version
number of the ROM. It looks like 160-1994-11.bin and 160-1995-11.bin are
the latest for the 2465. I remember I upgraded my 2467 to the -9 version
from how I got it.

Siggi

On Sun, Jul 12, 2020 at 5:16 PM John <trogg58@...> wrote:

Hi All, I think that I have managed to find something close to the
original 2465 ROM's, is anyone on here able to tell me the difference
between these pairs of ROMs
Original 160-1994-08 (cant find)
Original 160-1995-08 (cant find)
and
106-1994-09 (have got binaries)
106-1995-09 (have got binaries)
Is it just a later version of ROM or is it for a different model scope ?

Thanks in advance

DaveH52

I think I saw some ROM images in the files section.

Hi All, I think that I have managed to find something close to the original 2465 ROM's, is anyone on here able to tell me the difference between these pairs of ROMs
Original 160-1994-08 (cant find)
Original 160-1995-08 (cant find)
and
106-1994-09 (have got binaries)
106-1995-09 (have got binaries)
Is it just a later version of ROM or is it for a different model scope ?

Thanks in advance

Hi Andy, Thank you for the offer, I'll let you know, I think i can possibly get hold of a blower, but I still have to find a checksum for the EPROMs or a hex dump to re-load them.
Will keep you posted ....

Andy Warner

I have a programmer and probably have EPROMs I can donate to the cause if
there are dumps available I can use. My scope is a 2465B, so I can’t just
clone ones from that.

On Sat, Jun 6, 2020 at 17:08 <trogg58@...> wrote:

Hi, Andy, thanks for your reply, yes I do have the manual and have waded
through the self test routines and blinky Leds, or lack of! ... they only
come on and stay on so i have looked at the p.o.s.t order, waveforms and
flowcharts, I think i have possibly.... narrowed it down to the the 2
eeproms on the A5 Control board, U2378 and U2162. In fact I can remove both
of these and it makes no difference to where the bootup sticks or the whats
on the CRT display. I am beginning to wonder if ... while I was waiting for
the Caps to arrive, I put the scope back on the shelf in the garage
(without the outer sleeve), now most unusually it has been quite sunny the
last couple of weeks here in the UK and i'm wondering if the UV erasable
EPROMs have been erased to some degree..... I am trying to get my hands on
a copier so i can try and....
a) attempt to checksum and or
b) recopy, if i can find the hex/bin files
I have added another couple of piccys to the "John 2465 Project" photos.
Just a quick note, I have also added a close up pic of the leds, difficult
to see which ones are on or is it bleed over ?

Thanks again

--
Andy

[...]

Ondrej Pavelka

Sorry, I just noticed, I'm not used to this groups IO thing.

On Fri, 5 Jun 2020, 23:31 Siggi, <siggi@...> wrote:

Hey Ondrej,

you're conflating threads here - this thread is about problems in a 2465
(no-B).

Siggi

On Fri, Jun 5, 2020 at 4:56 PM Ondrej Pavelka <info@...
wrote:

Hi,
I've been through the manual but it's for 2445 I'm not sure if it covers
the B as well.
It passes all the startup tests just fine so I need to find a way to
backup
the Dallas and transfer the contents over.
My programmer doenst support Dallas 1225Y but I think I'll make
conversion
board to 2764 EPROM. Just slight wiring change. What I am yet to figur
out
us how to transfer those contents to a new Dallas or to existing one with
new battery.

On Fri, 5 Jun 2020, 22:09 Andy Warner, <andyw@...> wrote:

Do you have the service manual ? It talks about the boot process and
where
things get stopped.

I was lucky enough not to lose my NVRAM contents before I was able to
recap
and capture the nvram contents.

As I remember it, failing the RAM test (which includes the NVRAM) stops
things very early in the blinky-light POST cycle.

The section of the service manual is kind of oblique, IMO, but once you
get
how they are trying to say things it gets better.

My scope had the GPIB option, and it failed a little while after my
recap,
so I just removed it, since I know I would never use it. If you have
any
options, I suggest trying to boot without them.

On Fri, Jun 5, 2020 at 2:55 PM <trogg58@...> wrote:

Hi all, another hopeful newbie on here, I found this site whilst
looking
for some clues to attempt repair a 2465. I have managed to get it
almost
back to life but now stuck, I wonder if anyone would be kind enough
point me in the right direction.
Here is some background info, I have had the scope for about 12
years,
but
not really had chance to use it, the magic smoke came out about 10
years
ago when I switched it on, it got put on the shelf due to lack of
time
and
left there. Now I have some time on my hands (due to being
furloughed)
decided to dig it out and try and repair it.
After opening it up I spotted that C1018 had popped and C1016 didn’t
look
good so replaced both. C1020, C1052 and C1020 also had seen better
days
so
swapped them too, looking at all the other caps no obvious leaks or
bulges
so reassembled and switched on, the CRT just about came to life and
then
the smoke came out again. This time it was C1130, so I decided to
re-cap
as
advised on this forum.
I have replaced all the usual electrolytics on both PSU boards, with
mix
of Nichicon and Panasonics, and the Rifa caps, rebuilt and hey
presto
all
the voltages are well within tolerance, ripple all good too, but …..
the
post test gets as far as lighting all the front panel led’s and they
stay
on, CRT comes up with a static bizarre display showing four groups of
1111
across the top and bottom a central vertical line of dots, a
horizontal
central line of four groups of 4 dots then a top right to bottom left
diagonal of four groups of 4 dots, (picture posted under 2465 strange
display) only focus and readout intensity controls on the front panel
work., pressing the Delta T or V have no effect.
I do believe that I am the first person to effect any repairs to this
scope as all screws are present and there are no signs of any “after
manufacture” soldering of tampering, so its hands up I think I have
done
it
in myself.
Anyone have any ideas where to go first?
Thanks in advance…
John Carter

--
Andy

Siggi

wrote:

[...]

back to life but now stuck, I wonder if anyone would be kind enough to
[...]
I have replaced all the usual electrolytics on both PSU boards, with a
[...]

left there. Now I have some time on my hands (due to being furloughed) I

Link to album: https://groups.io/g/TekScopes/album?id=248127.

only focus and readout intensity controls on the front panel work.,
pressing the Delta T or V have no effect.
I believe it's the A/B trig button you press to get out of the POST display.
If the "Kernel" tests are failing, you'll see a decoding chart for the lit
front-panel LEDs on page 6-13 of the service manual.

Andy Warner

[...]

Hi all, another hopeful newbie on here, I found this site whilst looking for some clues to attempt repair a 2465. I have managed to get it almost back to life but now stuck, I wonder if anyone would be kind enough to point me in the right direction.
Here is some background info, I have had the scope for about 12 years, but not really had chance to use it, the magic smoke came out about 10 years ago when I switched it on, it got put on the shelf due to lack of time and left there. Now I have some time on my hands (due to being furloughed) I decided to dig it out and try and repair it.
After opening it up I spotted that C1018 had popped and C1016 didn’t look good so replaced both. C1020, C1052 and C1020 also had seen better days so swapped them too, looking at all the other caps no obvious leaks or bulges so reassembled and switched on, the CRT just about came to life and then the smoke came out again. This time it was C1130, so I decided to re-cap as advised on this forum.
I have replaced all the usual electrolytics on both PSU boards, with a mix of Nichicon and Panasonics, and the Rifa caps, rebuilt and hey presto all the voltages are well within tolerance, ripple all good too, but ….. the post test gets as far as lighting all the front panel led’s and they stay on, CRT comes up with a static bizarre display showing four groups of 1111 across the top and bottom a central vertical line of dots, a horizontal central line of four groups of 4 dots then a top right to bottom left diagonal of four groups of 4 dots, (picture posted under 2465 strange display) only focus and readout intensity controls on the front panel work., pressing the Delta T or V have no effect.