Topics

7403N and 7D01/DF1

Doug Hale <DougHale@...>

I have a 7403N , 7603, and a 7904. All my A and B plug-ins work just fine in
all my frames.
The 7D01 works just fine in the 7603 and 7904 frames but I get no display at
all in the 7403N.

Does anyone know why?

Thanks
Doug

dhuster@...

Hi, Doug,

The "N" at the end of a Tek model number indicates that the unit is
not equipped for CRT readout. As I recall, the 7D01 by itself
accesses the mainframe analog character generator (geez, it's been
too long) and it's only when you slap a display formatter onto the
side than you get internal character generation.

Let's see if I'm right. The folks here will let me know really
quickly if I'm all wet on that one.

Dean

Doug Hale <DougHale@...>

Dean,
I don't think that is the problem, charactor readout on my 7904 doesn't
work, yet the 7D01/DF1 does work in it.

Doug

dhuster@pb.k12.mo.us wrote:

Hi, Doug,

The "N" at the end of a Tek model number indicates that the unit is
not equipped for CRT readout. As I recall, the 7D01 by itself
accesses the mainframe analog character generator (geez, it's been
too long) and it's only when you slap a display formatter onto the
side than you get internal character generation.

Let's see if I'm right. The folks here will let me know really
quickly if I'm all wet on that one.

Dean

Miroslav Pokorni <mpokorni@...>

I will have a stab at it.

As you probably know, 7D01 is a bad guy, a pig so to speak. It draws much
more power than it was envisioned to supply to any plug-in. After 20 years I
have hard time remembering whether it was 7D01 or 7D02 that used so much
power that Tektronix's way out of that was to set 5 V supply to 4.75 V, as
to reduce power drawn (the power supply is a switcher, so you can reduce
power). That engineering feat was written up in Electronic Design in second
half of 1979 and few months later I had a conversation about that with head
of special projects at Tektronix and his words were 'that is something that
I am not very proud of'.

In addition, I have a military version of 7603N, one without fan; that model
has a 60 to 400 Hz transformer in power supply. I was told by Tektronix
field people not to plug in 7D01 because mainframe and plug-in might get
damaged.

I do not have here manual for 7104, but I think that 7D01 was listed as a
plug-in not to use.

As you can tell, there is plenty of exceptions to 'interchangeability' of
plug-ins and you might be seeing a case of 7D01 not getting enough power to
function.

Regards

Miroslav Pokorni

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

dd@...

I do not have here manual for 7104, but I think that 7D01 was listed as a
plug-in not to use.
But that's because it would burn the CRT, not because there's not enough
power.

Miroslav Pokorni <mpokorni@...>

I did not consider screen burn, but I guess you are right.

Regards

Miroslav Pokorni

>I do not have here manual for 7104, but I think that 7D01
was listed as a
>plug-in not to use.

But that's because it would burn the CRT, not because
there's not enough
power.

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Doug Hale <DougHale@...>

The 7D01 alone will work, but not with the DF1.

Doug

Miroslav Pokorni <mpokorni@...>

I wander if that indicates overload; as far as I remember DF1 does not have
a backplane connector of its own, everything goes through that 50 pin D
connector, power included.

Regards

Miroslav Pokorni