Topics

Tek 222/224 Battery Replacement

Jeff Davis

Hi all,

One of my customers approached me a few weeks ago about a project to replace the sealed lead acid battery (now unobtainium) in Tek 222/224 scopes with lithium ion cells that presumably will continue to be available for the foreseeable future. He pointed me to a really well done project with a public domain license. There's a YouTube video on it - https://youtu.be/LJ2VS3aohV0.

After a couple of weeks of capturing schematics, sourcing parts, etc. I'm about ready to hit Send on an order for the PCBs. Before I do that, however, I wanted to check with the community to see if there's sufficient interest to order more than the minimum quantity of boards.

How about it, Tek 222/224 collectors? Any interest in a battery pack replacement based on the design in the YouTube video above?

Regards,
Jeff / N0DY

Dave Voorhis

On 26 Mar 2020, at 17:02, Jeff Davis <n0dyjeff@hotmail.com> wrote:

[...]

Definitely interested. I bought a 222 to add to my collection, but it’s turned out to be surprisingly useful. I’d like to replace the dud lead-acid battery but the usual replacements involve cutting the case, which I’m reluctant to do. I think the YouTube video approach doesn’t cut the case?

I didn’t watch the whole thing, admittedly.

Either way, I’m definitely interested in a board. I’m in the UK, so I don’t know if shipping might be an issue though I guess a board should fit in an envelope.

Miguel Work

Well done!

But if you know how to make a lithium charger, your will know how to modify the 222 to work directly with lithium batteries :)

Regards!

[...]

g m

I'd be interested also, regards, Gary

On Thu, Mar 26, 2020 at 2:14 PM Dave Voorhis <voorhis@gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

Hi Gary,

What I'm planning to do for the battery charger is have the boards fabricated and stuffed offshore. I'm awaiting a final quote from them - they need to source a couple of parts. So the "kit" I would propose to provide would be an assembled and tested PCB, a 3D printed case that fits into the battery cavity of the Tek 222/224 (without modifying the scope other than removing the SLA battery), and possibly a few miscellaneous pieces such as light pipes to bring the LED status lights to the front of the case and a jumper cable to go from the board to the connector on the scope. (Speaking of which - would you happen to know a source for the female connector that goes on the end of the cable the plugs into the male connector on the scope?). Buyers would have to provide their own 18650 Lithium batteries - but they could be the cheaper unprotected version since there's overcharge protection built onto the board.

I've attached a couple of pictures of the case installed into a 222A.

I'm thinking for TekScopes members who order in the initial batch a price of my cost plus shipping plus $10. The $10 is to take my wife out to dinner so she'll continue to support me doing these crazy projects! After the first batch I'll see what the market will bear in terms of price. Right now in quantities of 10, my cost would be about $60 each.

Regards,
Jeff

________________________________
https://nam10.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fyoutu.be%2FLJ2VS3aohV0&;amp;data=02%7C01%7C%7C009602ec1fbc4ca1fff708d7d1c58fa1%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C637208518750518674&amp;sdata=3LLpfBLKpD4ou3O%2F21bIM26qi5S3VSq%2B4aM68HOss9E%3D&amp;reserved=0.

[...]

Hi Miguel,

You have an excellent point. Of course, the goal of this project was to leave the scope as absolutely stock as possible, replacing only the SLA battery with the battery / charger assembly. Modifying the 222 itself wouldn't be in sync with that goal, but I could see how it could be an attractive option for someone.

Regards,
Jeff

________________________________
But if you know how to make a lithium charger, your will know how to modify the 222 to work directly with lithium batteries :)

Regards!

One of my customers approached me a few weeks ago about a project to replace the sealed lead acid battery (now unobtainium) in Tek 222/224 scopes with lithium ion cells that presumably will continue to be available for the foreseeable future. He pointed me to a really well done project with a public domain license. There's a YouTube video on it - https://nam10.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fyoutu.be%2FLJ2VS3aohV0&;amp;data=02%7C01%7C%7C9a5962021c7a4cc0a1c308d7d1b95aa7%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C637208466326005372&amp;sdata=zEzghd6Ds7db1qBGGbbp2104tVjZQ3N9fjy6eEZhEWg%3D&amp;reserved=0.

[...]

I should mention, in all fairness, that the case design was done by NearFarMedia and posted to Thingiverse. https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3623622

Thanks, dude!

Jeff

________________________________

https://nam10.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fyoutu.be%2FLJ2VS3aohV0&;amp;data=02%7C01%7C%7Cb2f394551aab42d9728e08d7d1e9d738%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C637208674568286747&amp;sdata=ElebQlpKlSVddQb46OosmekQvi9ZsfT8THcUMytXx2s%3D&amp;reserved=0.

[...]

Byron Hayes, Jr.

Jeff,

I have three of these scopes, and would be interested in three boards.

Byron, WA6ATN

Byron Hayes, Jr.
4256 Navajo Ave.
Toluca Lake, CA 91602-2914
(818) 752-4653

At 05:57 PM 3/26/2020, Jeff Davis wrote:
[...]

SuddenLink

I am very interested as well. Thank you for sharing with the group.

Bob Ripley
Museum of Radio and Technology
Huntington, WV

satbeginner

Hello,

I'm interested as well, however I am in Spain, so shipping might be an issue.

Thanks for sharing,

Leo

garp66

hi Jeff,

Any chance you can include some *jumpers* so that this battery replacement PCB unit can also function in an AC/DC Tek 422 scope ?
(With or without a 3D printed plastic retrofit case ?)

thank you,
rick

Jeff Davis

Hi Rick,

Thanks for your inquiry. It's a little late in the game for this round, but in all likelihood there will be a second round in which I could accommodate some design changes.

Being unfamiliar with the Tek 422, can you tell me a little bit more about what would be needed? In the case of the 222/224, the battery is expected to supply 8V, and the scope disconnects if the battery voltage drops below 7.5V. That never happens with this design as the converter supplies 8V regardless of the battery discharge condition, over-discharge cutout is handled by the charge circuitry on board. When plugged it, the scope supplies charging current at 9.5V. The only interface to the scope is the battery power connector - +8V (nom) and ground.

Regards,
Jeff

________________________________
Any chance you can include some *jumpers* so that this battery replacement PCB unit can also function in an AC/DC Tek 422 scope ?
(With or without a 3D printed plastic retrofit case ?)

thank you,
rick

Jeff Davis

All,

Here's an update on the Tek 222/224 Battery Replacement project. After a few go rounds, I was able to create a BOM that the fab house could source. Unfortunately, the parts that had been pending turned out to be somewhat expensive. The cost in low quantities went from $60 each to about $93. Given the minimum order of 10 pieces is committing nearly $1,000 upfront, I need to ask for deposits from people who are interested in purchasing to reduce my financial exposure. If you're interested in participating in the group buy (and hopefully helping us get a better quantity discount), the link is https://www.n0dy.com/product/tek-222-224-battery-charger-deposit/. There you'll find not only details on the deposit and possible volume discounts, there are also links to technical sites for more information on the project.

While I'm not doing this project entirely out of the goodness of my heart, I'm making this first buy available at just slightly over my cost, plus shipping, both as a way of paying back the value I've gotten from the list over the years, and as an encouragement to get the quantities up so we can all get a volume discount. Any volume discounts would be passed along as explained on the deposit web page.

Thanks for the bandwidth.

Regards,
Jeff / N0DY

Jeff Davis

All,

Update on the group purchase. As of this morning, we have deposits for 7 kits, plus I'm planning to order 2 for my own use, making 9 total.

To avoid spamming the list with daily status updates, I've created a web page where I'll keep the current order status<https://www.n0dy.com/2020/03/29/tek-222-224-charger-order-status/>; updated. The URL is https://www.n0dy.com/2020/03/29/tek-222-224-charger-order-status/.

For those of you not familiar with the project, here's a brief summary:

The kit allows the use of readily available 18650 rechargeable lithium batteries to replace the now unavailable sealed lead acid battery originally sold with the Tektronix 222/224 oscilloscope. No modifications to the scope are required other than removal of the original sealed lead acid battery. Charging and protection circuitry is provided, allowing the use of unprotected 18650 cells. The kit will consist of one assembled and tested battery charger circuit board, one 3D printed case, and at my option some miscellaneous parts such as light pipes to bring the LED indicators to the front of the case and a jumper cable to attach to the scope’s battery connector. Kit does not include rechargeable 18650 lithium batteries (required for operation).

Circuit board design based upon the work of Kitsune-Denshi<http://kitsune-denshi.net/projects:tek222bat>;. licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.

Case design based upon the work of NearFarMedia on Thingiverse<https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3623622>; licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution License.

Thanks,
Jeff / N0DY