Mr Carlson's Patreon and test tool designs - was Re: [TekScopes] enclosures for ESR meters

toby@...

On 2020-03-22 6:14 PM, David Kuhn wrote:
Are the details available to a as minimal patrion account? Is there gerber
files for the pcb? Or can it be breadboarded?

It looks like a great leakage detector.
Mr Carlson's Patreon starts at $2/month and it's worth every penny, in
my opinion.

He publishes PCBs and schematics along with video walkthroughs.

--Toby

Dave

On Sun, Mar 22, 2020 at 3:12 PM Mlynch001 <mlynch002@gmail.com> wrote:

“ I would also like the cap tester (with leakage) that Mr.Carlson designed
(see Mr. Carlson's Lab on YouTube. That looks like a magic device. I am
not a patreon of his, so I can not get the details. I wish someone offered
that as a kit.“

I built one of those testers. They are very useful. Built two versions,
one with an analog meter and one with the LED display and variable test
voltages. This is a superb piece of test gear. Excellent and compact
instrument.
--
Michael Lynch
Dardanelle, AR

Eric

I am also a patron worth every sent. The devices are top notch. Paul wants
people to make their own boards as a learning process. Extencive use of the
toner transfer method.

On Sun, Mar 22, 2020, 7:20 PM <toby@telegraphics.com.au> wrote:

On 2020-03-22 6:14 PM, David Kuhn wrote:
[...]

David Kuhn

I etched my own boards years ago, when I was a kid in my teens. I haven’t
done it since and don’t want to. I don’tWant to have the chemicals around
or to properly dispose of them.

I’ve designed a few fairly complex PCBs in circuit maker/trax maker and
had them made by 4pcb, but again probably over 10 years ago. I would prefer
to be able to buy blank pcb’s if not a kit.

Is this cap leakage meter of Mr. Carson’s able to be built without a
printed PCB? If not, does anyone have extra PCBs that they sell? I remember
with 4pcb, I think 5 was the minimal prototype order, maybe 20.

I will have to join and find out I guess. I can get all that information at
the $2 per month level?

Dave

On 2020-03-22 6:14 PM, David Kuhn wrote:
[...]

Mlynch001

Dave,

I built one on Proto-Board my first try. It was tedious, but worked well. You can build on a breadboard, perf-board or etch your own. Mr. Carlson does not usually do commercially produced boards and the practice is discouraged on Patreon, for obvious reasons. I would not doubt that someone has produced some of these boards, but I do not know of a source myself.

--
Michael Lynch
Dardanelle, AR

toby@...

On 2020-03-22 9:45 PM, David Kuhn wrote:
I etched my own boards years ago, when I was a kid in my teens. I haven’t
done it since and don’t want to. I don’tWant to have the chemicals around
or to properly dispose of them.
I feel the same.

I’ve designed a few fairly complex PCBs in circuit maker/trax maker and
had them made by 4pcb, but again probably over 10 years ago. I would prefer
to be able to buy blank pcb’s if not a kit.

Is this cap leakage meter of Mr. Carson’s able to be built without a
printed PCB? If not, does anyone have extra PCBs that they sell? I remember
with 4pcb, I think 5 was the minimal prototype order, maybe 20.

I will have to join and find out I guess. I can get all that information at
the $2 per month level?
There's always OSHpark for PCBs. https://oshpark.com/

I understand if you ask nicely they might give a discount voucher to new
customers :-) But don't tell anyone

--Toby

Dave

Jim Ford

I'm with you, Dave.  OSH Park and others have PCBs for dirt cheap these days.   No point in fabbing your own.  Been there, done that.Jim Ford Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone

-------- Original message --------From: David Kuhn <Daveyk021@gmail.com> Date: 3/22/20 6:45 PM (GMT-08:00) To: TekScopes@groups.io Subject: Re: Mr Carlson's Patreon and test tool designs - was Re: [TekScopes] enclosures for ESR meters I etched my own boards years ago, when I was a kid in my teens. I haven’tdone it since and don’t want to. I don’tWant to have the chemicals aroundor to properly dispose of them. I’ve designed a few fairly complex PCBs in circuit maker/trax maker andhad them made by 4pcb, but again probably over 10 years ago. I would preferto be able to buy blank pcb’s if not a kit.Is this cap leakage meter of Mr. Carson’s able to be built without aprinted PCB? If not, does anyone have extra PCBs that they sell? I rememberwith 4pcb, I think 5 was the minimal prototype order, maybe 20.I will have to join and find out I guess. I can get all that information atthe $2 per month level?DaveOn Sun, Mar 22, 2020 at 8:06 PM Eric <ericsp@gmail.com> wrote:> I am also a patron worth every sent. The devices are top notch. Paul wants> people to make their own boards as a learning process. Extencive use of the> toner transfer method.>> On Sun, Mar 22, 2020, 7:20 PM <toby@telegraphics.com.au> wrote:>> > On 2020-03-22 6:14 PM, David Kuhn wrote:> > > Are the details available to a as minimal patrion account? Is there> > gerber> > > files for the pcb? Or can it be breadboarded?> > >> > > It looks like a great leakage detector.> >> > Mr Carlson's Patreon starts at $2/month and it's worth every penny, in> > my opinion.> >> > He publishes PCBs and schematics along with video walkthroughs.> >> > --Toby> >> > >> > > Dave> > >> > > On Sun, Mar 22, 2020 at 3:12 PM Mlynch001 <mlynch002@gmail.com> wrote:> > >> > >>  “ I would also like the cap tester (with leakage) that Mr.Carlson> > designed> > >> (see Mr. Carlson's Lab on YouTube.  That looks like a magic device.  I> > am> > >> not a patreon of his, so I can not get the details.  I wish someone> > offered> > >> that as a kit.“> > >>> > >> I built one of those testers.  They are very useful.   Built two> > versions,> > >> one with an analog meter and one with the LED display and variable> test> > >> voltages.  This is a superb piece of test gear.  Excellent and compact> > >> instrument.> > >> --> > >> Michael Lynch> > >> Dardanelle, AR> > >>> > >>> > >>> > >>> > >> > >> > >> >> >> >> >> >>> >>

John Griessen

On 3/22/20 9:01 PM, Mlynch001 wrote:
Mr. Carlson does not usually do commercially produced boards and the practice is discouraged on Patreon, for obvious reasons.
It's not obvious to me. My obvious is to ask if 5 people want to go in together on a set with shipping from oshpark.com or pcbway.com

Mlynch001

On Mon, Mar 23, 2020 at 09:03 AM, John Griessen wrote:

On 3/22/20 9:01 PM, Mlynch001 wrote:
Mr. Carlson does not usually do commercially produced boards and the
practice is discouraged on Patreon, for obvious reasons.

It's not obvious to me. My obvious is to ask if 5 people want to go in
together on a set with shipping from oshpark.com or pcbway.com
John,

Perhaps I should have simply said that ". . . . the practice of using the schematics to produce boards commercially is prohibited by Mr. Carlson on his channel . . . "? These are the terms and limitations which the creator has placed on the access to and use of his design(s). Not sure if there would be anything that he could do, should someone decide to go against his wishes and do what you propose.

--
Michael Lynch
Dardanelle, AR

toby@...

On 2020-03-23 10:56 AM, Mlynch001 wrote:
On Mon, Mar 23, 2020 at 09:03 AM, John Griessen wrote:

On 3/22/20 9:01 PM, Mlynch001 wrote:
Mr. Carlson does not usually do commercially produced boards and the
practice is discouraged on Patreon, for obvious reasons.

It's not obvious to me. My obvious is to ask if 5 people want to go in
together on a set with shipping from oshpark.com or pcbway.com
John,

Perhaps I should have simply said that ". . . . the practice of using the schematics to produce boards commercially is prohibited by Mr. Carlson on his channel . . . "? These are the terms and limitations which the creator has placed on the access to and use of his design(s). Not sure if there would be anything that he could do, should someone decide to go against his wishes and do what you propose.
I think somebody could be misunderstanding "produce boards commercially".

Sending one of his layouts out for personal use (or even maybe a small
syndicate if it's not for profit) doesn't seem to be problematic.

Trying to make money off a product based on one of his designs would
seem to be _obviously_ problematic (that's how I read "commercially").

But in any case... If there's any doubt, you can just ask him.

--Toby

David Kuhn

" Mr. Carlson does not usually do commercially produced"

So then I suspect he does not have gerber files to download? It would be
possible to lay it out in CircuitMake/TraxMaker, but if the circuit uses
somewhat modern components, then one would have to create macros for them.
As I said, I think a minimal of 5 proto boards would be needed. So if the
board works, there would be extras. Since it is Paul's i.p. you would not
be able to see those extra boards of five of us wanted to make the cap
tester.

dave

On Sun, Mar 22, 2020 at 10:02 PM Mlynch001 <mlynch002@gmail.com> wrote:

Dave,

I built one on Proto-Board my first try. It was tedious, but worked
well. You can build on a breadboard, perf-board or etch your own. Mr.
Carlson does not usually do commercially produced boards and the practice
is discouraged on Patreon, for obvious reasons. I would not doubt that
someone has produced some of these boards, but I do not know of a source
myself.

--
Michael Lynch
Dardanelle, AR

David Kuhn

" It's not obvious to me. My obvious is to ask if 5 people want to go in
together on a set with shipping from oshpark.com or pcbway.com"

Yes! ...but it's Paul's I.P., so, I guess one would have to eat the extra 4
boards and let everyone else order 5 boards each and toss the extras.
Maybe someone could get permission from Paul to have 5 boards made and
share the spare boards?

On Mon, Mar 23, 2020 at 10:03 AM John Griessen <john@ecosensory.com> wrote:

On 3/22/20 9:01 PM, Mlynch001 wrote:
Mr. Carlson does not usually do commercially produced boards and the
practice is discouraged on Patreon, for obvious reasons.

It's not obvious to me. My obvious is to ask if 5 people want to go in
together on a set with shipping from oshpark.com or pcbway.com

Abc Xyz

it would be nice to have a Board.

On Mon, Mar 23, 2020, 10:52 AM David Kuhn <Daveyk021@gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

I have been a member of Paul’s patron since the beginning. Just to be transparent. I have seen this question asked many times. Paul’s response is usually the same. “He strongly recommends that you make the boards using the toner transfer method.” I have done so personally and have learned a staggering amount especially in the QA department having to quality check my own boards. It has also given me a much better understanding of what is really going on. There is a lot of learning building it completely from scratch.

On 2020-03-23 1:53 PM, David Kuhn wrote:
" It's not obvious to me. My obvious is to ask if 5 people want to go in
together on a set with shipping from oshpark.com or pcbway.com"

Yes! ...but it's Paul's I.P., so, I guess one would have to eat the extra 4
boards and let everyone else order 5 boards each and toss the extras.
Maybe someone could get permission from Paul to have 5 boards made and
share the spare boards?
Yeah I agree it is a grey area if the other people aren't on Patreon. I
didn't think about that angle.

Best thing is to ask him! He seems nice... :)

On Mon, Mar 23, 2020 at 10:03 AM John Griessen <john@ecosensory.com> wrote:

On 3/22/20 9:01 PM, Mlynch001 wrote:
Mr. Carlson does not usually do commercially produced boards and the
practice is discouraged on Patreon, for obvious reasons.

It's not obvious to me. My obvious is to ask if 5 people want to go in
together on a set with shipping from oshpark.com or pcbway.com

Renée

I think the only honorable requirement would be that all parties receiving boards MUST be patrons, and this must also be done quietly/ not too publically.
If the above conditions are met I would think he should not refuse the idea...again just not make it to public.....ie a few friends.....
Renée

On 3/23/20 11:27 AM, toby@telegraphics.com.au wrote:
On 2020-03-23 1:53 PM, David Kuhn wrote:
[...]

I only have ink jet. Still it's a lot of work and I do not need to learn to
make PCBs. I've always use 4PCB.com for that and I do not want to have to
use chemicals.

On Mon, Mar 23, 2020 at 2:05 PM Eric <ericsp@gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

Who wants to take the lead on making a PCB? I will join his patreon
tonight. I assume he does not have gerbers published for his cap tester?

Dave

wrote:

On 3/22/20 9:01 PM, Mlynch001 wrote:
Mr. Carlson does not usually do commercially produced boards and
the
practice is discouraged on Patreon, for obvious reasons.

It's not obvious to me. My obvious is to ask if 5 people want to go in
together on a set with shipping from oshpark.com or pcbway.com

Harvey White

Making PC boards is not really a trivial task.  Toner transfer needs a laser printer and some understanding of the process, regardless of whether or not you use it for an ESR meter or some thing different for a Tektronix rebuild.  Toner transfer can best be used on single sided boards, but double sided boards are possible.  Requires more understanding and the right tools.  The board factories (oshpark and any of the Chinese board factories, for instance) tend to make boards in lots (oshpark is $5 per square inch, but you get 3, gold plated (ENIG) boards.  The Chinese factories typically have (IMHO) a 100 mm by 100 mm maximum size, lots of 5 or 10, and very low prices for HASL (Hot air solder leveled) boards.  A typical cheap price is 10 boards for $5.00, with about 20 to 25 dollars for shipping.

All varies per manufacturer.  They want gerber files, but will give you the algorithms (files) for the CAM manufacturing of their boards from popular files.  I use EAGLE (7.7).  These boards are silk screened, double sided, plated through holes.

Any boards I can make with toner transfer (disassembled the setup, BTW) would be double sided, tin lead plated, NO plated through holes, NO silk screening.  It took me a while to get there.

I did a LOT of toner transfer boards (laser printer, laminator, special paper) before my designs got too complex for manual layout and toner transfer.

There's lots of low cost, low effort  PC board techniques. Haven't seen the target project, so I can't comment.  There are a number of projects directly related to Tektronix that can use PC boards.  I'd suggest test fixtures for the 7CT1N, for example.

Feel free to contact me off list if you want further information.

Harvey

On 3/23/2020 6:34 PM, David Kuhn wrote:
[...]

Szabolcs Szigeti

Hi,

Yes, the current offerings from China and elsewhere on PCBs just make
it practically nonsensical to DIY PCBs at home. It was a fantastic
feeling when I first ordered my first plated hole, double sided smd
PCB from china, complete with solder mask, silkscreen, etc. This would
have been out of reach for a hobbyist a decade or two ago. I'm not
nostalgic about getting back to etch stuff in ferric chloride,
drilling, filing, etc. even though that I even built a compete
oscilloscope this way back in the poor university student time :-)

I used KiCAD for a lot of stuff now and works like charm. (I have even
shared a very simple TekMate 287 daughterboard design with this group)
Of course if one needs to make a large non-plated hole simple board,
it may be cheaper and you don't end up with 4 additional boards, but
taking the cost of the time for this, it still may be better to have
it fabricated.

Good that you mentioned the 7CT1N, as this has been a long time plan
for me to make some fixtures for my 5CT1N, especially seeing the price
these are being sold on eBay. I have just started to sketch up some
design and look for parts. So I would be gladly helping with coming up
with a design. I can do the PCB, but this could be a good group effort
as it would be nice to have some 3D printed enclosures for it. Of
course it can be simple small PCB with 3 plugs and some zif socket,
but why not make it really fancy if we have the knowledge and tools.

Szabolcs

Harvey White <madyn@dragonworks.info> ezt írta (időpont: 2020. márc.
23., H, 23:55):

Lawrance A. Schneider