Topics

recommended ESR meters these days

ArtekManuals

Took out my (apparently not so) trusty ESR meter the other day and it eyes had rolled back in its head and no amount of CPR would revive it.. Anyone bought one _*RECENTLY *_that they can recommend or warn me away from?

Dave
manuals@...

--
Dave
Manuals@...

David Holland

The DER DE-5000 appears to be still available:

https://www.amazon.com/5000-Handheld-LCR-Meter-accessories/dp/B00S298KJO

Mine isn't recent purchase (2017) but as far as I know, they're some of the
better LCR (and by proxy ESR) meters...

David

On Thu, Mar 12, 2020 at 5:57 PM ArtekManuals <manuals@...>
wrote:

Took out my (apparently not so) trusty ESR meter the other day and it
eyes had rolled back in its head and no amount of CPR would revive it..
Anyone bought one _*RECENTLY *_that they can recommend or warn me away
from?

Dave
manuals@...

--
Dave
Manuals@...
www.ArtekManuals.com

magnustoelle

Good Day Dave,
I am using this one from Peak Elektronic Design in the UK for several years now. Very reliable, small, easy to use and it discharges caps safely also:
https://www.peakelec.co.uk/acatalog/esr70-capacitor-esr-meter.html

Cheers,
Magnus

Took out my (apparently not so) trusty ESR meter the other day and it
eyes had rolled back in its head and no amount of CPR would revive it..
Anyone bought one _*RECENTLY *_that they can recommend or warn me away from?

Dave
manuals@...

--
Dave
Manuals@...
www.ArtekManuals.com

Bill Sudbrink

+1 on the Peak.

I am using this one from Peak Elektronic Design in the UK for several years now. Very reliable, small, easy to use and it discharges caps safely also:
https://www.peakelec.co.uk/acatalog/esr70-capacitor-esr-meter.html

Cheers,
Magnus

Took out my (apparently not so) trusty ESR meter the other day and it
eyes had rolled back in its head and no amount of CPR would revive it..
Anyone bought one _*RECENTLY *_that they can recommend or warn me away from?

Dave
manuals@...

--
Dave
Manuals@...
www.ArtekManuals.com

Dale Chayes

Happy with my (few years old 2018 as I recall) Keysight/Agilent/whateverthisweek U1731

Not inexpensive but not cheap.

Probably overkill for many.

-Dale

On Mar 12, 2020, at 15:57 , ArtekManuals <manuals@...> wrote:

Took out my (apparently not so) trusty ESR meter the other day and it eyes had rolled back in its head and no amount of CPR would revive it.. Anyone bought one _*RECENTLY *_that they can recommend or warn me away from?

Dave
manuals@...

--
Dave
Manuals@...
www.ArtekManuals.com

Mike D

I have the Peak and the DER, both work great. The DER has a lot more
functionality for the money, but the Peak is UK made and much better
construction.

Mike kd5rjz

toby@...

On 2020-03-12 5:57 PM, ArtekManuals wrote:
Took out my (apparently not so) trusty ESR meter the other day and it
eyes had rolled back in its head and no amount of CPR would revive it..
Anyone bought one _*RECENTLY *_that they can recommend or warn me away
from?
I have been using this one. Seems to work well for LCR + ESR.

http://lcr.is-best.net/en/?i=1

No affiliation, just satisfied customer.

--Toby

Dave
manuals@...

toby@...

On 2020-03-12 5:57 PM, ArtekManuals wrote:
Took out my (apparently not so) trusty ESR meter the other day and it
eyes had rolled back in its head and no amount of CPR would revive it..
Anyone bought one _*RECENTLY *_that they can recommend or warn me away
from?
I have been using this one. Seems to work well for LCR + ESR.

http://lcr.is-best.net/en/?i=1

No affiliation, just satisfied customer.

--Toby

Dave
manuals@...

Ken Eckert

Personally I like the Sencore LC-77, LC102 or LC103. Very little difference
between a LC-77 and a LC-102

On Thu, Mar 12, 2020 at 2:57 PM ArtekManuals <manuals@...>
wrote:

Took out my (apparently not so) trusty ESR meter the other day and it
eyes had rolled back in its head and no amount of CPR would revive it..
Anyone bought one _*RECENTLY *_that they can recommend or warn me away
from?

Dave
manuals@...

--
Dave
Manuals@...
www.ArtekManuals.com

Greg Muir

The Peak products are all very good. I made up a field kit containing several Peak meters of various flavors. They are not quite lab grade but are very close to comparing with regards to accuracy. And they are simple to operate.

https://www.peakelec.co.uk/acatalog/esr70-capacitor-esr-meter.html

Greg

mosaicmerc

Bob Albert

My GR1658 bridge reads ESR at either of two frequencies.

On Thursday, March 12, 2020, 04:56:42 PM PDT, mosaicmerc via Groups.Io <mosaicmerc=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

I have used this for a few years.

https://www.amazon.com/Semoic-Rechargeable-Resistance-Voltmeter-Impedance/dp/B07R5LSM8N/ref=sr_1_3

Ancel

ArtekManuals

Ancel

The item description does list the L and C ranges and does not specifically indicate it is an ESR meter ???
Dave

On 3/12/2020 7:56 PM, mosaicmerc via Groups.Io wrote:
I have used this for a few years.

https://www.amazon.com/Semoic-Rechargeable-Resistance-Voltmeter-Impedance/dp/B07R5LSM8N/ref=sr_1_3

Ancel

--
Dave
Manuals@...
www.ArtekManuals.com

ArtekManuals

That should say DOESNT list the L and C ranges ???

On 3/12/2020 8:41 PM, ArtekManuals wrote:
Ancel

The item description does list the L and C ranges and does not specifically indicate it is an ESR meter ???
Dave

On 3/12/2020 7:56 PM, mosaicmerc via Groups.Io wrote:
I have used this for a few years.

https://www.amazon.com/Semoic-Rechargeable-Resistance-Voltmeter-Impedance/dp/B07R5LSM8N/ref=sr_1_3

Ancel

--
Dave
Manuals@...
www.ArtekManuals.com

ArtekManuals

David

The one that died was a DE5000 ...8^(

Dave

wrote:

Took out my (apparently not so) trusty ESR meter the other day and it
eyes had rolled back in its head and no amount of CPR would revive it..
Anyone bought one _*RECENTLY *_that they can recommend or warn me away
from?

Dave
manuals@...

--
Dave
Manuals@...
www.ArtekManuals.com

Dave
Manuals@...
www.ArtekManuals.com

Richard Solomon <dickw1ksz@...>

I bought an MESR-100 V2 off that auction
site. Works well for me.

73, Dick, W1KSZ

On Thu, Mar 12, 2020, 5:41 PM ArtekManuals <manuals@...> wrote:

Ancel

The item description does list the L and C ranges and does not
specifically indicate it is an ESR meter ???
Dave

On 3/12/2020 7:56 PM, mosaicmerc via Groups.Io wrote:
I have used this for a few years.

https://www.amazon.com/Semoic-Rechargeable-Resistance-Voltmeter-Impedance/dp/B07R5LSM8N/ref=sr_1_3

Ancel

--
Dave
Manuals@...
www.ArtekManuals.com

ArtekManuals

Magnus

Only goes down to 1uf ...deal breaker

Dave

On 3/12/2020 6:02 PM, magnustoelle via Groups.Io wrote:
Good Day Dave,
I am using this one from Peak Elektronic Design in the UK for several years now. Very reliable, small, easy to use and it discharges caps safely also:
https://www.peakelec.co.uk/acatalog/esr70-capacitor-esr-meter.html

Cheers,
Magnus

Took out my (apparently not so) trusty ESR meter the other day and it
eyes had rolled back in its head and no amount of CPR would revive it..
Anyone bought one _*RECENTLY *_that they can recommend or warn me away from?

Dave
manuals@...
--
Dave
Manuals@...
www.ArtekManuals.com

tgerbic

Folks,
ESR meters (AC low ohm meter) are very easy to build and there are several good schematics on the web. I built one from parts around my lab in 2007, and have not had a need to fix or replace it. It has two ranges 0-10 ohms and 0 to 30 ohms and measures accurately down to .05 ohms at the lower resistance third of the scales. It uses an analog meter and fits in a 2" X 2" by 4" metal box. I created the meter face in powerpoint (before I got familiar with the "Meter" program). Ended up pretty close to zero cost. I based mine off the IZ7ATH style circuit ( https://www.qsl.net/iz7ath/web/02_brew/15_lab/06_esr/index.htm ) but there are many versions to choose from. If concerned about ESR, a 0 to 5 ohm range with around 0.05 ohm accuracy at the 0 to 1 ohm range (.5 ohm above that) is generally all that is necessary.

In 2004 I built a low ohms meter (DC ohmmeter) which goes well with the ESR meter and uses home make kelvin clips. It has ranges of .2 ohms, 2 ohms and 20 ohms. It has resolution to .0025 ohms on the lowest scale and very accurate to this resolution compared to my calibrated HP 3456A in 4 wire mode.

While there are many AC and DC low ohms meters on the market, buying one is not as much fun as building one and a built one could easily be fixed if it ever fails. In my case I already have several good LCR meters from HP and B&K so another one just to get ESR would be overkill.

Regards

ArtekManuals

There was at time I would agree with you but right now I have 2 dozen (fix-it) projects that will be more fun than building an ESR meter  kit thanks though

Dave

On 3/12/2020 8:54 PM, tgerbic wrote:
[...]

Good point Dave, sounds kind of time critical. I have a different situation where I occasionally look through my equipment and build things in my spare time I believe will make my life easier. When I need them they are there.

Regards