CRT rebuilding

Just curious. I found a company that STILL does CRT rebuilding, wondering if anyone on the list has tried them or looked into it.

https://www.thomaselectronics.com/repair-overhaul/

Not sure if all they do is "rejuve" , or go as far as a full rebuild. Would be great for that aging P11

Don Frasher
AD7LL
donfrasher@yahoo.com
drfrasher@gmail.com

John Williams

Interesting. I am going to contact them. If they can redo the phosphore maybe they could change it to a different one. Depending on cost of course. Thanks.

Looking over their web page FAQ they claim to do around 50 different phosphors.I also sent them a note from there contact listing. I'm thinking at this point that cost will be the big factor.

On Sunday, March 1, 2020, 05:56:19 PM EST, John Williams <books4you@telus.net> wrote:

Interesting. I am going to contact them. If they can redo the phosphore maybe they could change it to a different one. Depending on cost of course. Thanks.

Jeff Kruth

Long ago, I did business with Thomas, a first class outfit. They needed glass for re-building a special tube they sold and I had a lot of it, so I traded twenty duds for two rebuilt tubes. They re-gun the tube as far as I know, cut off the old gun, re-phosphor and put in a new gun. Relabeled and everything. I dont know how they will do with custom CRTs from Tek. What if they break the CRT envelope? Maybe they would do it on a "If it works out, we will charge you" kind of effort. However, expect to pay something real. $300-400 dollars, maybe more, would not surprise me.

Jeff Kruth

In a message dated 3/1/2020 6:05:21 PM Eastern Standard Time, donfrasher=yahoo.com@groups.io writes:
 Looking over their web page FAQ they claim to do around 50 different phosphors.I also sent them a note from there contact listing. I'm thinking at this point that cost will be the big factor.

    On Sunday, March 1, 2020, 05:56:19 PM EST, John Williams <books4you@telus.net> wrote:

Interesting. I am going to contact them. If they can redo the phosphore maybe they could change it to a different one. Depending on cost of course. Thanks.

stevenhorii

Those who have been posting about replacement Tek CRTs, you may know of the
Sphere Research "Stuff Day" sale. Walt Shawlee has Tek CRTs available both
used and new. Here's the URL:

https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/?tab=wm&ogbl#search/walter/FMfcgxwGDWxRnBcXTgjWpdfSKwbFhgCV

I have no financial connection with Sphere, though I have been a customer
(slide rules!).

Steve

books4you@telus.net> wrote:

Interesting. I am going to contact them. If they can redo the phosphore
maybe they could change it to a different one. Depending on cost of course.
Thanks.

BW

For what it's worth, the Early Television museum has the facilities to do rebuilding, just not the staff nor time to do it full-time.

If they get that online though, odds are the Tek folks will be behind a mile long queue of folks wanting to get their TV CRTs rebuilt...

http://earlytelevision.org/crt_rebuilding_at_museum.html

Roy Thistle

Hi All:
I ran into a guy who owned one of the service companies that used to supply rebuilt CRTs for televisions... it was a good business for about 15 years. Basically, he would rebuild (install a new gun assembly) onto a unit with a failed one (either filament damaged, or emitter components damaged)… he did not do any re-phosphor. He could charge T.V. repair shops about 20% less than the manufacturer supplied CRT.
My guess is... if the guns for Tek CRTs are not available (and where would they be?)... or unless possibly one wanted burn-in repair on the screen (so re-depositing the phosphor) on an otherwise strong CRT... then rebuilding is not going to happen. Guns for popular television tubes where manufactured by the 100's of millions... and maybe still are available in China, of the former C.C.C.P. countries. Tek guns... not so much.
Best cheers and wishes.
Roy

Eric

Interesting thought. I wonder if they would work on 576 crts I have 2 -5
tubes that could use a rejuvenation. Or possable rebuild. For the 1 off
tubes like that I would not mind paying for a rebuild.

On Sun, Mar 1, 2020, 10:22 PM Roy Thistle <roy.thistle@mail.utoronto.ca>
wrote:

[...]

victor.silva

During all my years refurbishing Tek 24xx series I have been able to trade/barter/buy(when within reason) a large collection of NIB CRTs for the 2465x/45x and even 2 NIB 2467B CRTs. If ThomasElectronics comes back with "$300-400 dollars, maybe more" I would certainly consider selling a few NIB 154-0850-01 CRTs for that.

--Victor

Miguel Work

CRT restoring company in Spain, Barcelona, at 2010

https://eltecnigraf.wordpress.com/can-batllo-adeu-a-la-ciutat-dels-oficis/lectroscan-ultim-refugi-dels-raigs-catodics/