Topics

debugging TM500 modules

John Griessen

On 1/28/20 11:40 AM, robeughaas@gmail.com wrote:
I find a convenient way of debugging TM500 modules is to use a bare TM502 power supply. It can be removed from the case. You
can rotate it to get convenient access to the plug-in. It can be use with double-wide plug-ins such as the SC504.

How about using a TM504? Does the cover come off those easily?

robeughaas@...

I've seen late TM503's (nomenclated TM503A) with a self-contained power supply but all the TM504's I've seen don't have a removable power supply assembly. A "naked" TM504, even a TM503 would be cumbersome on the bench.

--
Bob Haas

robeughaas@...

Photo of a "naked" TM502 as a service tool.
--
Bob Haas

Vince Vielhaber

That's a really good idea!

Vince.

On 01/28/2020 05:00 PM, robeughaas@gmail.com wrote:

Photo of a "naked" TM502 as a service tool.

Hi Bob:
Your excellent discovery that the TM502 power supply can be totally removed from the mainframe would haved save a lot of time years ago if I had only known about it.
Many years ago I made a TM500 plugin test fixture by cutting off the front 80% of a TM501 unit. This required a metal chop saw and a lot of filing and other work to remove the rough edges.

My solution is a kluge compared to yours. I'm embarrassed as I recall how much work it took to modify the TM501 when I see how simple your solution is.
Yours solution also comes in handy when you need to test double wide plugins.
Thanks for thinking outside the box.

Dennis Tillman W7PF