Topics

56 pins (TM500/5000 and 5000 series scope plug-ins) and 76 pins (7000 series scope plug-ins) connectors

Ke-Fong Lin

Hi everyone,

Just received my order from Mouser, ordered some replacement switches for my 5CT1N (yes, Dennis!) and also took the opportunity to buy some 56 and 76 pins connectors.
So far so good, the dimensions are correct and it seems that I've ordered the correct parts (checked with continuity tester of DMM).
See photos: https://groups.io/g/TekScopes/album?id=239639
These are made by EDAC in Canada and they are expensive! Around 14 and 17 euros for the 56p and 76p respectively.

The 56 pins connector is for TM500/5000 and 5000 series scope plug-ins. Did a test with my 5CT1N and AA501.
The "opening" of the connector is a bit larger than the plug-in's PCB edge height, but it is easy to align the pins manually.
The connector features inserts between pins for "polarity key" (for example, 5000 scope plug-ins have 2, top and bottom)
As always, I rushed to do my order and forgot to order the polarity keys along.
With these key(s), the pins will align perfectly for sure.
The 56p connector is supposed to be the same as standard JAMMA, so there must be more cost effective options on aliexpress for instance.
Mouser is the "high-end" option :)

The 76 pins connector fits snugly and the pins always align precisely. I've cheked a few pins on the 7B53AN plug-in with a continuity tester.
Everything works fine! I didn't find any other "option" as for this connector.

I still have a few TM500 modules to repair, and my intention was to solder a few wires to the 56p connector and supply power using a lab PSU to do some debugging.
That's what I've done already, "ghetto style" with my 5CT1N : I've basically soldered the wires on resistor leads of the PCB.
I've also 2 7L5 plug-ins that need debugging and for them, I will not have much choice to connect them to a 7000 mainframe.

The various "extenders" available on ebay are horendously expensive, and they're hard "PCB".
I've always favored wires/ribbon cable, they are more flexible and the device under debugging can be placed further away from mainframe.

Next step is to make the connecting PCB edge connector. I've already ordered from JLPCB and they're dirt cheap.

If you guys are interested, I can keep you updated. I'll put everything on github.

Best regards,

robeughaas@...

I find a convenient way of debugging TM500 modules is to use a bare TM502 power supply. It can be removed from the case. You can rotate it to get convenient access to the plug-in. It can be use with double-wide plug-ins such as the SC504. I'll attach a photo when I figure out how to do that.

--
Bob Haas

John Griessen

I had some (7000 series scope plug-ins) connectors made, but am out of stock right now.

If you want to order 100, I have a source in Taiwan.

Ke-Fong Lin

Hi everyone,

I debug by removing the top cover of my TM503 or the left, right, and top sides of my TM5003.
That gives almost as good access as the pictured "naked" TM502.
But my problem with an FG507 plug-in is with the power supply.
I'd like to use my bench supplies to send the +/-33V and debug it from here.
The connector would allow me to do that without having to solder wires on leads of components on PCB.

Regarding the extenders, my goal is not to sell kits.
But rather to design an edge PCB car, put the Kicad sources and gerber files.
So anybody can have one fabricated and buy the needed parts.

By the way, John, your Taiwan source, how much does a connector cost?
The EDAC ones are almost 17 euros!

Best regards,

John Griessen

On 1/28/20 5:29 PM, Ke-Fong Lin wrote:
my goal is not to sell kits.
But rather to design an edge PCB car, put the Kicad sources and gerber files.
So anybody can have one fabricated and buy the needed parts.
I have a design in pcb-rnd, which can maybe export to kicad, but pcb-rnd is a better FOSS ECAD tool
for my style. No one has asked for the sources and one has asked for gerbers.

By the way, John, your Taiwan source, how much does a connector cost?
The EDAC ones are almost 17 euros!
Last time I bought a hundred for TM500, it was $180 +45 +30 = $255/100. You can't buy just one.

Wiring is a big consideration. Few people wanted to deal with soldering 50 wires each end of a cable.
Dan Meeks' TM500 kit with IDC connectors of thin wire gauge sold out quickly.

An expensive pcb that is a straight through one side of copper + connectors would sell much better than a wiring kit. Be very careful with TM500 -- my kit never sold to recover its costs.

The 7K flex extender did recover its costs and more, but I think that market is saturated now
after I sold 200 kits to 7 countries.

Harvey White

Designs are common enough, now with decent PCB programs and Chinese made boards abounding.

I have two of Dan Meeks' extenders, as well as a much earlier one that someone made.  If I were to design one (and if I could find the connector, haven't looked too much), I'd be doing the IDC cable route.

That's what I did on some 7000 series extenders I made for myself, IDC cables.  Those connectors for the 7000 series are about 7 to 8 dollars each.  Naturally, you put on some LEDs.

Now with the IDC cables, and no coax, you can't use it for frequency checking, but the idea was to do functional testing and repair, not frequency test and alignment.  Not in the market to try to make and sell these, but if you're determined enough for yourself, it can be done.  Plugin end and module end each fit within the arbitrary 100 x 100 mm cheap board limit.

Harvey

On 1/29/20 9:21 AM, Harvey White wrote:
Ds.
Now with the IDC cables, and no coax, you can't use it for frequency checking, but the idea was to do functional testing and repair, not frequency test and alignment.

Frequency checking up to 100MHz is possible with my more laboriously assembled kits with 24 gauge wire and coax like the Tek 7K flex originals. Voltage 3 dB down was measured by Jerry M. at 130MHz with them.

I'll stock some more of those parts when I get moved to Albuquerque.

Ke-Fong Lin

For TM500/5000, they are basically only power rails, along with with ECB to power transistors. I guess the plug-in specific top pins are not so much needed for repair.
In particular, some power pins are duplicates, for example, the 4 common return pins for 8V/11VDC for instance, a single 22 AWG wire will do.

For the 7000 series plug-ins, there's just too many pins and are almost all used.
So I plan to use some ribbon cable, with may be some individual wires for power (i.e. +/- 50 & 15 VDC), and some coaxial wires for the signal pins.
These are readily available at Farnell and Mouser.
I've not much experience in RF signals, but I guess that with coax on the "critical" signal pins, that should be sufficient for <= 100MHz, maybe even calibrating.

Harvey White

Other than connecting to the appropriate power connections for that slot, the remaining pins in TM500 are dedicated to internal signals, often per plugin.  The idea is that if you wished to have a dedicated rack for TM500 equipment in a certain configuration (triggers wired to this, signals coming from that, etc), the front panel connections were duplicated enough that you could put particular plugins in dedicated slots, wire them on the back panel, and avoid all of the front panel connections.  From that point, you'd need only the connections to the device under test and whatever outputs you needed to outside the case.  Connections to a device under test could also be made with a dedicated connector on the back panel.

Harvey

On 1/29/20 4:35 PM, Ke-Fong Lin wrote:
So I plan to use some ribbon cable, with may be some individual wires for power (i.e. ± 50 & 15 VDC), and some coaxial wires for the signal pins.
These are readily available at Farnell and Mouser.
I've not much experience in RF signals, but I guess that with coax on the "critical" signal pins, that should be sufficient for <= 100MHz, maybe even calibrating.

Sounds good. Consider using the slot pattern that allows any of the keying inserts to be there and still plug in:

https://www.ecosensory.com/tek/tek_tm_flex_pcb_top.jpg
https://www.ecosensory.com/tek/tek_tm_flex_pcb_bot.jpg

Ke-Fong Lin

Hi John,

Where did you get your slot pattern?
It is same as 067-0645-02 which is the "official" TM500 extender from Tektronix (see photo and docs TekWiki).
However, the "TM500 rear interface data book" mentions a slot between 22-23 (for TR-502) is not present in either of the connectors.
Simplest would be to put slots between all "signal" pins.

Best regards,

John Griessen

On 1/30/20 9:41 AM, Ke-Fong Lin wrote:
Where did you get your slot pattern?