Topics

Tek CRTs supplied to competing manufacturers

Greg Muir

Having my first exposure to Tek oscilloscopes as a wee tyke in the television industry back in the 60’s on a 524AD I became literally hooked on their performance. At that time this scope was being sold as a complete station package by the Radio Corporation of America to supplement their studio equipment and transmission (transmitter) products if a broadcaster should choose to go the “RCA way.” But this also meant that you would buy “urged” into purchasing all RCA replacement parts as time went into the future.

Many years ago I had come across an article that Tek also supplied CRTs to other manufacturers for inclusion into their products. I can’t quite recall what manufacturer the article mentioned but believe that it was either RCA or Dumont who also started producing their own television broadcast related scopes. What the article said was that there was some irritation on Tek’s behalf that they then had gained competition in that product line but also cooperated in selling a component (namely the CRT) for the foreign product.

The article went on to mention that, as part of the “hesitant sales” was to pick out and ship those CRTs to their customer that did not quite meet the Tek standard when tested but were fully functional otherwise.

Has anyone else ever come across this article?

Greg

Hi Greg,
I believe you read this is the book "Winning with People; The first 40 years of Tektronix".
Dennis Tillman W7PF

P.S. I'm waiting for the last person working at Tektronix to write the follow-on book to the first book. I propose it have the following title" "What happened to all the People; The last 20 years of Tektronix". :)

--
Dennis Tillman W7PF
TekScopes Moderator

Greg Muir

Thanks, Dennis.

I did think it came from a fairly reputable source. But the years that passed after reading of it made it rather fuzzy in the ol' brain.

As for another title, i would add "...and why was it subject to such suffering under control of a holding company?"

("Big fish eating smaller fish")

Greg

george gonzalez <grg2gonzalez@...>

I think it was the other way around, Tek used to buy CRTs from Dumont and
RCA but found out they were getting the below average CRTs. This came to
light when some university bought like 50 CRTs and some alert Tek person
noticed the tubes were not in serial number order and they all were
extremely bright and sharp, better than the ones sent to Tektronix. This
spurred Tek to start up their own CRT factory. Expensive but had superb
results.

On Friday, January 24, 2020, Greg Muir via Groups.Io <big_sky_explorer=
yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Thanks, Dennis.

I did think it came from a fairly reputable source. But the years that
passed after reading of it made it rather fuzzy in the ol' brain.

As for another title, i would add "...and why was it subject to such
suffering under control of a holding company?"

("Big fish eating smaller fish")

Greg

Bob Koller <testtech@...>

I believe that the AN/UPM-137 IFF Test Set, at least the units made by Teledyne Electronics back in the day, had a Tek made CRT.

Greg Muir

George,

Do you or anyone else have a copy handy of "Winning with People; The first 40 years of Tektronix" to confirm this? I can’t seem to find my copy at the moment.

Thanks,

Greg

On 01-26-2018 at 12:55 pm George Gonzales wrote:
“I think it was the other way around. Tek used to buy CRTs from Dumont and RCA but found out they were getting below average CRTs….”

On Sun, Jan 26, 2020 at 11:56 PM, Greg Muir wrote:

Do you or anyone else have a copy handy of "Winning with People; The first 40
years of Tektronix" to confirm this? I can’t seem to find my copy at the
moment.
From "Winning with People; The first 40 years of Tektronix", page 12:

"Why did Tek make its own cathode-ray tubes? Because neither Dumont's nor RCA's were good enough and Tel thought it could do better".

Raymond

This is documented in the book: Winning With People: The first 40 years of Tektronix by Lee.
Dennis Tillman W7PF