Topics

7000-series plug-in power tester

stevenhorii

Has anyone built a tester that would provide all the normal power to a 7000-series plug-in? Would it be worth doing? Maybe a way to do a quick "smoke" test of plug-in not known to be good. Outside of the mainframe, you'd have access to the power rails and test points.

is it worth it as opposed to putting the plug-in into a known good mainframe?

Bill Perkins

A few weeks back a fellow posted just such a device, intended to make 7K-series plug-ins outputs available for DSOs.

I don't have a link, sorry

Bill

Has anyone built a tester that would provide all the normal power to a 7000-series plug-in? Would it be worth doing? Maybe a way to do a quick "smoke" test of plug-in not known to be good. Outside of the mainframe, you'd have access to the power rails and test points.
is it worth it as opposed to putting the plug-in into a known good mainframe?

stevenhorii

Bill,

Thanks - I saw that link and am interested. I'll go back and find it. My
thought was just for powering the plug-ins, but if you're going to do that,
why not use the inputs/outputs also.

Steve H

On Sun, Jul 5, 2020 at 10:41 PM Bill Perkins <sales@...> wrote:

A few weeks back a fellow posted just such a device, intended to
make
7K-series plug-ins outputs available for DSOs.

I don't have a link, sorry

Bill

Has anyone built a tester that would provide all the normal power to a
7000-series plug-in? Would it be worth doing? Maybe a way to do a quick
"smoke" test of plug-in not known to be good. Outside of the mainframe,
you'd have access to the power rails and test points.

is it worth it as opposed to putting the plug-in into a known good
mainframe?

Dave Seiter

Does a cable extender with a separate power output header specifically for testing count?  Built into a dead plugin, the extender cable terminates into the card edge connector, while the power header is fixed on plugin face for stability.
-Dave

On Sunday, July 5, 2020, 07:44:25 PM PDT, stevenhorii <sonodocsch@...> wrote:

[...]

C G

Find a used TM501. Test and/or recap the power supply. Remove the cover to see properly what's going on inside and you're done!
TM501 - TekWiki <http://w140.com/tekwiki/wiki/TM501>

Christian

On Mon, Jul 6, 2020 at 09:35 AM, C G wrote:

Find a used TM501. Test and/or recap the power supply. Remove the cover to see
properly what's going on inside and you're done!
TM501 - TekWiki < http://w140.com/tekwiki/wiki/TM501 >
Trying to keep this on track: A TM5xx backplane is not a 7000 backplane.

Raymond

C G

After checking you're absolutely right. Learnt sth today!
In addition, rewiring may be tedious as even power supplies are not the same.
Hope I did not be mislead some fellows out there...

On Mon, Jul 6, 2020 at 10:48 AM, C G wrote:

Hope I did not be mislead some fellows out there...
That's what I was trying to avoid. With current 7000 mainframe prices, purchasing and modifying one especially for this purpose is an option as well.

Raymond

ycui7

Hi,

I the guy who is making a standalone power and signal adapter board. The original post is here https://groups.io/g/TekScopes/topic/74053244#168481

To answer your question, would be it worth doing? No it does not worth it at all for the trouble you go through, if the goal is only powering some plugins for troubleshooting.

I have three flexible extenders, and one rigid extender with more than 4 working 7000 mainframes (even more if count broken ones). But I am still spending a significant portion of my night to make it happen. Why? The value is not in the power adapter board itself. The value is in that you enable these plugins to be used on modern digital scope.

No company make 100 MHz differential amplifier anymore (at least not I am aware of) => 7L13
Low noise low frequency measurement with adjustable bandwidth=> 7A22
Hard to get capability for very low frequency spectrum analyzer for audio work => 7L5
Capability to get better noise floor than 1mVpp @ >100MHz => 7A26 is about 120uV level although not easily available due to limited 5mV/div max gain
Sampling plugins 7S12, 7S14
TDR => 7S12
Curve tracer 7CT1N

The above items are the ones that I can make sense of it. There may be other benefit to enable these plugins being used on digital scopes.