Topics

Tek Scope Cart - Model 3 or K213?

guy232

For me, disassembly required a socket wrench with extension or a deep well socket. I took it completely apart (arms, trays etc) it also required some playing with to make sure things line back up properly to avoid causing binding in the tilt and castors level. The bottom box is riveted together. The top tilt tray has some open areas that would require disassembly or else overspray will gunk up the nylon bushings used on the pivot. My pics did not show the plastic "trunions" that Colin mentioned, I havent reinstalled them yet.

If you really insist on repainting but dont want to spend the hours cleaning, scuffing, primer & coating it, I would suggest just cleaning the surfaces and spraying on Plastidip. You dont have to scuff any surfaces and can peel away the plastidip later if desired. Guys use it for repainting their car's alloy rims and it holds up for a decent amount of time in that harsh role.

Also I could be wrong but the K213 looks identical to me based on the pics i've seen. It has the same options available in the manual plus an extra option which is a retractable keyboard tray. Maybe it is the same just renamed?

Colin Herbert

I think you might find this more of a problem than you realise. The surface above the drawer at the bottom is covered in a textured soft plastic having an edging which also might be plastic, but may be metal. The curved triangular parts enclosing the pivot-points for the shelf assembly are plastic. Added to all of this, disassembly isn't a particularly simple task; even totally removing the drawer requires some ingenuity. I would leave it as it is, after a good clean-up and lubrication of the castoring wheels. It is a Tektronix product, after all, why would you want it to look like an IBM rip-off?
Colin.

-----Original Message-----
From: TekScopes@groups.io [mailto:TekScopes@groups.io] On Behalf Of oakley@...
Sent: 16 January 2020 08:13
To: TekScopes@groups.io
Subject: Re: [TekScopes] Tek Scope Cart - Model 3 or K213?

Thanks Colin, John, Harvey and Guy232 for your kind efforts to answer my questions.

I think that the Model 3 cart is clearly the winner over the K213 cart. The dimensional details and photos were very helpful in solidifying my decision.

Although it probably seems sacrilegious, I'm going to strip the Tektronix's blue and off-white vinyl finish and have the parts shot with textured Polane-T, matching IBM's traditional creme white and black finishes.

Thanks again!

Tom in SLC

oakley@...

Thanks Colin, John, Harvey and Guy232 for your kind efforts to answer my questions.

I think that the Model 3 cart is clearly the winner over the K213 cart. The dimensional details and photos were very helpful in solidifying my decision.

Although it probably seems sacrilegious, I'm going to strip the Tektronix's blue and off-white vinyl finish and have the parts shot with textured Polane-T, matching IBM's traditional creme white and black finishes.

Thanks again!

Tom in SLC

guy232

I love when a Q pops up on here that I can answer! I went ahead and took pics w/ measurements of my Lab Cart 3. I hosted the pics on imgur link:

https://imgur.com/a/jQk1kMP

Excuse the slight mess, moving some boxes around in the house.

Also excuse the bell howell "tm500" ;) being a filthy millenial I must currently make do with that until I can find an affordable TM500 3-4 bay with plugins to replace the Bell howell.

I fully disassembled the cart after I bought it on CL. Regreased a couple friction points on the upper tilt cart. Removed the castor assembly & wheels, brake cleaner to remove the old grease/debris from the bearings. Regreased with syringe filled with mobil1 synthetic. Rolls/swivels exceptionally smooth, love it!

If you need any other measurements or pics of it just let me know!

Harvey White

Mine is about 35.5 inches ground to bottom of tray.  Hard to see if it's level since it's somewhat in storage.  The other notch (perhaps tilted) was 34 inches lip of tray to ground.  Mine has a lower tray on which there's a TM504.

Harvey

On 1/15/2020 4:22 AM, oakley@... wrote:
Hi All,

I'm in desperate need for a scope cart. I've got a 2465BDM, 2467B, and a Fluke PM3394B and I'd like to mount them to the same cart. Both the Model 3 and the K213 carts appear to be able to handle the scopes' weight.

After collecting as many JPGs as reasonably possible, it appears to me that the K213 is shorter than the Model 3, but I can't find any dimensional information for either of these carts. Does anyone know the overall height of either of these carts?

I'm wondering what you experienced souls would recommend?

Does one cart have any particular features over the other? Is there a reason to focus on acquiring one over the other?

Thanks so much.

Tom in SLC

John Griessen

On 1/15/20 7:36 AM, Colin Herbert via Groups.Io wrote:
Hi Tom,
I have a Labcart Model 3. It is 39.5" high, 28" long (including the handle of the drawer) and 18" wide, approximately. These measurements exclude the castoring wheels.
A little more detail on model 3:

35 inches to top tray surface -- the 39" is the top of the pivot of the frame.
48 inches to top of a 4 bay 7000 scope on top tray.
other trays below top one are adjustable... mine are at -15-1/4 inches and -8.5 inches.
15-1/4 below is the lowest set of holes I think.
Top of lower drawer is at 12 inches from floor.

Colin Herbert

Hi Tom,
I have a Labcart Model 3. It is 39.5" high, 28" long (including the handle of the drawer) and 18" wide, approximately. These measurements exclude the castoring wheels. I hope this helps a little.
Colin.

-----Original Message-----
From: TekScopes@groups.io [mailto:TekScopes@groups.io] On Behalf Of oakley@...
Sent: 15 January 2020 09:22
To: TekScopes@groups.io
Subject: [TekScopes] Tek Scope Cart - Model 3 or K213?

Hi All,

I'm in desperate need for a scope cart. I've got a 2465BDM, 2467B, and a Fluke PM3394B and I'd like to mount them to the same cart. Both the Model 3 and the K213 carts appear to be able to handle the scopes' weight.

After collecting as many JPGs as reasonably possible, it appears to me that the K213 is shorter than the Model 3, but I can't find any dimensional information for either of these carts. Does anyone know the overall height of either of these carts?

Does one cart have any particular features over the other? Is there a reason to focus on acquiring one over the other?

Thanks so much.

Tom in SLC

oakley@...

Hi All,

Thanks so much.

Tom in SLC