Topics

Tektronix 2465 for sale ...

rskrishnan@...

Hello All,
The new year has pushed me to realize that I am _never_ going to find time to poke around with my Tektronix 2465 :(
I'm happy to sell it to someone who might actually restore and _use_ it.
Details:
Tektronix 2465 oscilloscope. 4 channels, 300 MHz.
Reference info - http://w140.com/tekwiki/wiki/2465
The scope powers up fine, but POST shows that Test 05 fails with condition 42.
I think this is related to the horizontal sweep.
Most likely needs caps replaced - which is a typical problem with these scopes with age.
Scope is in good condition, display is fine, focuses well.
This could be a great scope if you are willing to spend time and replace caps.

I bought this for around $250 a few years back. Happy to sell this for something reasonable.
Please ping me for pics if you want to see it power up or the POST message.

Chuck Harris

I'm not sure why you think this error has anything to do with the
horizontal sweep. It is specified on page 6-11 in the service manual
with this cryptic phrase:

Positive level too positive

This is a test of the triggering system, the CPU's DAC and MUX circuitry,
and the line trigger transformer.

The scope has a transformer that goes to the power line, and its output
winding is routed to the trigger hybrid as a test signal. The CPU attempts
to adjust the trigger point to where the hybrid just triggers, sequentially
to trigger on the positive peak of the sine wave, and then the negative peak
of the sine wave. It knows approximately what voltage that should be.

If the voltage necessary to trigger the trigger hybrid is above the highest
expected value for the positive peak of the sine wave, it will fail with:

Test 05, Error 4X

If the voltage necessary to trigger the trigger hybrid is below the lowest
expected value for the negative peak of the sine wave, it will fail with:

Test 05, Error X2

If both of these fault conditions exist it will display:

Test 05, Error 42, which is the logical sum of both error conditions.

It has nothing to do with the horizontal.

Usually this is caused by a problem with the trigger hybrid, or perhaps
the circuitry that drives it.

-Chuck Harris

rskrishnan@... wrote:

[...]

Ah that makes sense!
I saw the POST fail and also saw the horiz sweep was dead and thought the POST was complaining about that.
So then we have hybrid trigger problems -and- a dead horiz sweep.
If there is any brave soul that wants to dive into this please send me a message.

mosaicmerc

I have a couple working 2465s i don't use, but I am not in Continental USA...so I could maybe scrap out a m'board from 1

Tony Fleming

Despite having less and less room, if I was near you, you would have a
customer!
If you can't sell it, donate it to a club or school, church or other places
and have a great feeling about helping others!
Wish you good luck and happy 2020!

On Sun, Jan 5, 2020 at 5:26 PM mosaicmerc via Groups.Io <mosaicmerc=
yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

I have a couple working 2465s i don't use, but I am not in Continental
USA...so I could maybe scrap out a m'board from 1

rskrishnan@...

@mosacimerc - scrapping a working 2465 seems like a waste :( Why break a fine scope for a speculative fix?
I'll wait around a for a week or so - so people have a chance to come back from holidays etc. - if I still don't have any takers then off it goes to a school/church etc so kids can poke around and perhaps have some fun.

Alexandre Souza

Just out of curiosity, mosaicmerc...Where are you?

---8<---Corte aqui---8<---
http://www.tabajara-labs.blogspot.com
http://www.tabalabs.com.br
---8<---Corte aqui---8<---

Em dom., 5 de jan. de 2020 às 20:26, mosaicmerc via Groups.Io <mosaicmerc=
yahoo.com@groups.io> escreveu:

I have a couple working 2465s i don't use, but I am not in Continental
USA...so I could maybe scrap out a m'board from 1

In the Caribbean

tekscopegroup@...

On Mon, Jan 6, 2020 at 06:04 AM, Ancel wrote:
In the Caribbean
By any chance are you in SXM?

Abc Xyz

Shipping to Florida wouldn't be too bad.

On Mon, Jan 6, 2020, 6:05 AM Ancel <@Protofabtt> wrote:

In the Caribbean

Roy Thistle

On Sun, Jan 5, 2020 at 03:26 PM, mosaicmerc wrote:

so I could maybe scrap out a m'board from 1
Hi mosaicmerc:
I'm interested. I have a couple of them that I need to fix.
Best regards and wishes.
Roy