Topics

My email address was changed by Groups.io my request for contributions


 

Since last night I have been puzzled by why so many members were trying to
send money to the wrong address. They were using
@_Dennis_Tillman_W7PF.

The answer is that Groups.io changed what I wrote and sent to TekScopes last
night that is causing all this confusion. I definitely used my correct email
address exactly as you should use it. I now know if I type it in this post
groups.io will change it like they did last night so I have to spell out
what I did last night. This should come out correct once you remove the
spaces, change "at" to @ and "dot" to a period in this:
dennis at ridesoft dot com
(spelling it out like this is the only way to stop Groups.io from messing
with it.)

So Groups.io is the "culprit". Until now I knew the did something to protect
our email addresses but I had no idea this is what they were doing. On
balance it is a good thing because it insures that non-members who read our
posts will never see our true email address. I knew they protected our email
addresses somehow but until now I never thought about how they did what they
did.

Just when I thought there was nothing new to learn...

Dennis Tillman W7PF




--
Dennis Tillman W7PF
TekScopes Moderator


Geoffrey Thomas
 

I was puzzled too. I rarely go near the website and only see the emails where your correct email address is shown in the "from" section.
Explains a lot, quite clever really.

Geoff.

On 31/12/2019 22:37, Dennis Tillman W7PF wrote:
Since last night I have been puzzled by why so many members were trying to
send money to the wrong address. They were using
@_Dennis_Tillman_W7PF.
The answer is that Groups.io changed what I wrote and sent to TekScopes last
night that is causing all this confusion. I definitely used my correct email
address exactly as you should use it. I now know if I type it in this post
groups.io will change it like they did last night so I have to spell out
what I did last night. This should come out correct once you remove the
spaces, change "at" to @ and "dot" to a period in this:
dennis at ridesoft dot com
(spelling it out like this is the only way to stop Groups.io from messing
with it.)
So Groups.io is the "culprit". Until now I knew the did something to protect
our email addresses but I had no idea this is what they were doing. On
balance it is a good thing because it insures that non-members who read our
posts will never see our true email address. I knew they protected our email
addresses somehow but until now I never thought about how they did what they
did.
Just when I thought there was nothing new to learn...
Dennis Tillman W7PF


KB6NAX
 

I'd say "bully" for Groups.io. The bots are harvesting e-mail addresses from were ever they can get them from. Tis a good thing hiding our e-mail addresses. The new year is for keeping old techs restoring old Teks, always happily, I hope.

Arden

-----Original Message-----
From: Dennis Tillman W7PF
Sent: Tuesday, December 31, 2019 2:37 PM
To: TekScopes@groups.io
Subject: [TekScopes] My email address was changed by Groups.io my request for contributions

Since last night I have been puzzled by why so many members were trying to
send money to the wrong address. They were using
@_Dennis_Tillman_W7PF.

The answer is that Groups.io changed what I wrote and sent to TekScopes last
night that is causing all this confusion. I definitely used my correct email
address exactly as you should use it. I now know if I type it in this post
groups.io will change it like they did last night so I have to spell out
what I did last night. This should come out correct once you remove the
spaces, change "at" to @ and "dot" to a period in this:
dennis at ridesoft dot com
(spelling it out like this is the only way to stop Groups.io from messing
with it.)

So Groups.io is the "culprit". Until now I knew the did something to protect
our email addresses but I had no idea this is what they were doing. On
balance it is a good thing because it insures that non-members who read our
posts will never see our true email address. I knew they protected our email
addresses somehow but until now I never thought about how they did what they
did.

Just when I thought there was nothing new to learn...

Dennis Tillman W7PF
...................


EJP
 

Yahoo! used to do this too. It's common practice.

EJP


Albert Otten
 

There is one more issue Dennis. I use the website. There @Dennis... is a link which points to https://groups.io/profile/Dennis_Tillman_W7PF . This is not your profile at Tekscopes since /g/Tekscopes is missing from the path. I can read your Tekscopes profile, but I get a "404 not found" error on that link.

Albert


Marvin Moss
 

I sent you money via Paypal but it went to wrong place. So I have to get my money back before I can forward to you. A real mess-up for me. Wish we had better info to get money to you. It is a shame that it is that hard to send you money :-)


Roy Morgan
 

I have recently gotten set up with Venmo funds transfer system (run by PayPal). It works fast and easy.

Roy sends.
K1LKY

On Jan 1, 2020, at 10:44 AM, Marvin Moss <mmoss@...> wrote:

I sent you money via Paypal but it went to wrong place. So I have to get my money back before I can forward to you. A real mess-up for me. Wish we had better info to get money to you. It is a shame that it is that hard to send you money :-)

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-


 

HI Albert,
Groups.io changed my real email address without my knowing it so non-members could not search our posts and harvest our email addresses. I didn't know this is what groups.io did. The only wat I can tell you what the correct email address is if I spell it out like this:
dennis at ridesoft dot com.
You can figure out from this what my email address really is.
Dennis

-----Original Message-----
From: TekScopes@groups.io [mailto:TekScopes@groups.io] On Behalf Of Albert Otten
Sent: Wednesday, January 01, 2020 3:29 AM
To: TekScopes@groups.io
Subject: Re: [TekScopes] My email address was changed by Groups.io my request for contributions

There is one more issue Dennis. I use the website. There @Dennis... is a link which points to https://groups.io/profile/Dennis_Tillman_W7PF . This is not your profile at Tekscopes since /g/Tekscopes is missing from the path. I can read your Tekscopes profile, but I get a "404 not found" error on that link.

Albert




--
Dennis Tillman W7PF
TekScopes Moderator


 

Marvin,
My apologies but groups.io is partially to blame. I had no idea that groups.io was going to change my email address. Since this happened I found out they do this to protect us from SPAMBots who could easily harvest all our email addresses.
The only way that they would not have interfered with is if I spelled out my address word for word like this
Dennis at ridesoft dot com.

Dennis Tillman W7PF

-----Original Message-----
From: TekScopes@groups.io [mailto:TekScopes@groups.io] On Behalf Of Marvin Moss
Sent: Wednesday, January 01, 2020 7:44 AM
To: TekScopes@groups.io
Subject: Re: [TekScopes] My email address was changed by Groups.io my request for contributions

I sent you money via Paypal but it went to wrong place. So I have to get my money back before I can forward to you. A real mess-up for me. Wish we had better info to get money to you. It is a shame that it is that hard to send you money :-)




--
Dennis Tillman W7PF
TekScopes Moderator


Robert Simpson
 

so Dennis, did you get mine, I used the address after changing the spaces and changed the at to @.
Bob


 

Hi Bob,
Yes, Transaction ID: 976182746J963223U, December 31, 2019
Thanks, Dennis Tillman W7PF

-----Original Message-----
From: TekScopes@groups.io [mailto:TekScopes@groups.io] On Behalf Of Robert Simpson via Groups.Io
Sent: Wednesday, January 01, 2020 12:53 PM
To: TekScopes@groups.io
Subject: Re: [TekScopes] My email address was changed by Groups.io my request for contributions

so Dennis, did you get mine, I used the address after changing the spaces and changed the at to @.
Bob





--
Dennis Tillman W7PF
TekScopes Moderator


Sergey Kubushyn
 

On Wed, 1 Jan 2020, Dennis Tillman W7PF wrote:

I hope you've got my $20 too...

Hi Bob,
Yes, Transaction ID: 976182746J963223U, December 31, 2019
Thanks, Dennis Tillman W7PF


-----Original Message-----
From: TekScopes@groups.io [mailto:TekScopes@groups.io] On Behalf Of Robert Simpson via Groups.Io
Sent: Wednesday, January 01, 2020 12:53 PM
To: TekScopes@groups.io
Subject: Re: [TekScopes] My email address was changed by Groups.io my request for contributions

so Dennis, did you get mine, I used the address after changing the spaces and changed the at to @.
Bob
---
******************************************************************
* KSI@home KOI8 Net < > The impossible we do immediately. *
* Las Vegas NV, USA < > Miracles require 24-hour notice. *
******************************************************************


magnustoelle
 

Good Day,

Dennis, a word of thanks for looking after this group and for all the time you have spent in order to keep this a friendly and informative place!

I was happy to contribute 20. Sent per paypal today; the 1€-fee was well spent.

Cheers,

Magnus

On 01/01/2020 19:02, Dennis Tillman W7PF wrote:
HI Albert,
Groups.io changed my real email address without my knowing it so non-members could not search our posts and harvest our email addresses. I didn't know this is what groups.io did. The only wat I can tell you what the correct email address is if I spell it out like this:
dennis at ridesoft dot com.
You can figure out from this what my email address really is.
Dennis

-----Original Message-----
From: TekScopes@groups.io [mailto:TekScopes@groups.io] On Behalf Of Albert Otten
Sent: Wednesday, January 01, 2020 3:29 AM
To: TekScopes@groups.io
Subject: Re: [TekScopes] My email address was changed by Groups.io my request for contributions

There is one more issue Dennis. I use the website. There @Dennis... is a link which points to https://groups.io/profile/Dennis_Tillman_W7PF . This is not your profile at Tekscopes since /g/Tekscopes is missing from the path. I can read your Tekscopes profile, but I get a "404 not found" error on that link.

Albert