Topics

The best laid plans of mice and men....

Reginald Beardsley

I bought a cheap pair of SD-22s listed as "defective" on ebay so I had a sampling head I was willing to open up and examine and perhaps use the case to test a DIY version.

They arrived today. Both work fine. So now I have 4x SD-22, 4x SD-26 and 1x SD-24 all of which work and am still looking for a carcass to play with.

Oh, well...
Reg

John Ferguson

I well know the frustration of buying a "parts-only" scope only to have it show up working and not even that far out of cal - if out at all.  Still need a carrying handle for my 2445B.

john

On 11/12/19 2:45 PM, Reginald Beardsley via Groups.Io wrote:
I bought a cheap pair of SD-22s listed as "defective" on ebay so I had a sampling head I was willing to open up and examine and perhaps use the case to test a DIY version.

They arrived today. Both work fine. So now I have 4x SD-22, 4x SD-26 and 1x SD-24 all of which work and am still looking for a carcass to play with.

Oh, well...
Reg

Reginald Beardsley

Well, it turns out that one *is* defective. It's missing the retainer for the rear connector. and one channel selection button was broken. So I glued that.

I've got a mill, so I could make one, but it's not really set up for use. So if anyone has a spare clamp for retaining the rear connector and the 3 screws, please email me. And a complete, *non-working* SD series head would be even better. Especially an SD-24.

I bought a $50 HP 16500A with 1x 16532A & 4x 16550A. It arrived non-functioning, but a few hours and I had everything working. I put the 16532A in my 16500C, but that left me with the 4x 16550As. So I decided I needed a 16501A to hold them. God only knows whether I'll ever need that many channels.

Reg

Roy Thistle

Hi Guys:
Great!
It's great to see somebody getting some reasonably good deals from Ebay.
Whenever my ship is in port at Ebay, I always for some strange reason (maybe trauma in my childhood) hear the B-9, Class M-3 say "Danger Will Robinson. Danger!"
Or maybe it is just my wallet moaning from the beating it has taken over the years.
Either way, its safer to assume the worst.... and not hope too much for the best.
Regards and best wishes.
Roy

Vince Vielhaber

When I buy something on ebay, unless it's new, I buy it with the assumption and expectation that it don't work. Its broke. Period. That way I'm never disappointed. I look at a ham radio, and wonder how much is this broken radio worth to me? Same thing with any test equipment. Is it worth having to fix it? You'd be surprised at how many things I've bought over the years that said it didn't work and it actually did!

Vince.

On 11/12/2019 06:18 PM, Roy Thistle wrote:
Hi Guys:
Great!
It's great to see somebody getting some reasonably good deals from Ebay.
Whenever my ship is in port at Ebay, I always for some strange reason (maybe trauma in my childhood) hear the B-9, Class M-3 say "Danger Will Robinson. Danger!"
Or maybe it is just my wallet moaning from the beating it has taken over the years.
Either way, its safer to assume the worst.... and not hope too much for the best.
Regards and best wishes.
Roy

Jeff Kruth

Pessimists NEVER have unpleasant surprises!  A motto I live by! JK

In a message dated 11/12/2019 9:27:56 PM Eastern Standard Time, vev@michvhf.com writes:
You'd be surprised at how
many things I've bought over the years that said it didn't work and it
actually did!

Abc Xyz

The Optimist Invented the Airplane... The Pessimist Invented the
Parachute!!!

vev@michvhf.com writes:
You'd be surprised at how
many things I've bought over the years that said it didn't work and it
actually did!

Dave Seiter

That happened to me at a local auction years ago; I won two pallets of "broken" test equipment, mostly Tek.  The only bidder at $50 each.  Turned out that they had put all the broken stuff on top.  Underneath were functional, almost in cal 7104s, 7488s, etc.  I had a "scopehenge" in my garage for a few months.
-Dave

--
  K8ZW  http://www.metalworkingfun.com   http://www.hamradio.fun