Topics

5113 Would You Buy??


Stephen
 

I have the opportunity to purchase a Tek 5113 with 5A18N, 5A21N, 5B10N for about 120€ shipped.
I don’t know this series. My questions are:
1- Is the price right?
2- Is it even worth getting a 2Mhz scope?

Thank you


Colin Herbert
 

I suppose you might be attracted by the fact that this is true dual-beam, not just two-channel.
Colin.

-----Original Message-----
From: TekScopes@groups.io [mailto:TekScopes@groups.io] On Behalf Of Stephen
Sent: 26 July 2020 13:56
To: TekScopes@groups.io
Subject: [TekScopes] 5113 Would You Buy??

I have the opportunity to purchase a Tek 5113 with 5A18N, 5A21N, 5B10N for about 120€ shipped.
I don’t know this series. My questions are:
1- Is the price right?
2- Is it even worth getting a 2Mhz scope?

Thank you


Stephen
 

On Sun, Jul 26, 2020 at 02:50 AM, Colin Herbert wrote:


I suppose you might be attracted by the fact that this is true dual-beam, not
just two-channel.
Colin.
Any practical use for that the true dual beam?

I like the idea that it comes with a Differential Amp, but I might as well get a 7A22 for my 7623, I guess.
If it had come with a 5CT1N curve tracer at that same price point, that would’ve been a different story...


John Griessen
 

On 7/26/20 9:01 AM, Stephen wrote:
Any practical use for that the true dual beam?
Of course. Any pair of related signals that go at some trigger time will both be on the screen with nanosecond resolution of the rise-time differences. There will be no jitter in that compared to alternating.

The plugins for the 5xxx's are more rare now than 7xxx though. They were sold to med/bio rather than EEs, and lots of med/bio folk like shiny and new so they were mostly scrapped long ago. They were also probably scrapped sooner and more freely because of lower original prices.


Stephen
 

On Sun, Jul 26, 2020 at 03:24 AM, John Griessen wrote:


On 7/26/20 9:01 AM, Stephen wrote:
Any practical use for that the true dual beam?
Of course. Any pair of related signals that go at some trigger time will both
be on the screen with nanosecond resolution of the
rise-time differences. There will be no jitter in that compared to
alternating.

The plugins for the 5xxx's are more rare now than 7xxx though. They were sold
to med/bio rather than EEs, and lots of med/bio folk
like shiny and new so they were mostly scrapped long ago. They were also
probably scrapped sooner and more freely because of
lower original prices.
So you’re saying this is a good deal? Even if it’s only a 2Mhz scope?


John Griessen
 

On 7/26/20 9:32 AM, Stephen wrote:
So you’re saying this is a good deal? Even if it’s only a 2Mhz scope?
Overall it's kind of lame deal, since most interesting jitter is faster than 2MHz by a lot...
and because plugins are rare.

Over here, 5xxx go for $10 partly working, $30 working, so high on price also.

bottom line = no.


kim.herron@sbcglobal.net
 

Don't know if this will affect any decision on your part, but
I'm keeping my 5100 system to use as a low freq S/A for
alignment of old receivers. Trying to get that to work of
some of my other scopes hasn't worked so well. The freq
range of my Tek 496 doesn't go low enough. I use it in
the X/Y mode. Does a nice job on 50 and 60 kHz IF's

I've got $100 in the whole setup with extra plugins

On 26 Jul 2020 at 7:32, Stephen wrote:

On Sun, Jul 26, 2020 at 03:24 AM, John Griessen wrote:


On 7/26/20 9:01 AM, Stephen wrote:
Any practical use for that the true dual beam?
Of course. Any pair of related signals that go at some trigger
time will both
be on the screen with nanosecond resolution of the
rise-time differences. There will be no jitter in that compared
to
alternating.

The plugins for the 5xxx's are more rare now than 7xxx though.
They were sold
to med/bio rather than EEs, and lots of med/bio folk
like shiny and new so they were mostly scrapped long ago. They
were also
probably scrapped sooner and more freely because of
lower original prices.
So you´re saying this is a good deal? Even if it´s only a 2Mhz
scope?


John Goller, K9UWA & Jean Goller, N9PXF
Antique Radio Restorations
k9uwa@...
Visit our Web Site at:
http://www.JohnJeanAntiqueRadio.com
4836 Ranch Road
Leo, IN 46765
USA
1-260-637-6426


Stephen
 

On Sun, Jul 26, 2020 at 04:55 AM, John Griessen wrote:


On 7/26/20 9:32 AM, Stephen wrote:
So you’re saying this is a good deal? Even if it’s only a 2Mhz scope?
Overall it's kind of lame deal, since most interesting jitter is faster than
2MHz by a lot...
and because plugins are rare.

Over here, 5xxx go for $10 partly working, $30 working, so high on price also.

bottom line = no.

Although in Europe prices can sometimes be considerably higher than in the US, I get your point.


Stephen
 

On Sun, Jul 26, 2020 at 05:20 AM, kim.herron@... wrote:


Don't know if this will affect any decision on your part, but
I'm keeping my 5100 system to use as a low freq S/A for
alignment of old receivers. Trying to get that to work of
some of my other scopes hasn't worked so well. The freq
range of my Tek 496 doesn't go low enough. I use it in
the X/Y mode. Does a nice job on 50 and 60 kHz IF's

I've got $100 in the whole setup with extra plugins
I see. I’m not doing any receiver alignment at all.

Thank you for your input. I’ll probably pass unless the price goes way down.