50 ohm Terminator Question

When I acquired my Tek 465B, there was a 50ohm BNC male terminator doo-dad plugged into this jack. Why? Is it needed with this scope? If not, what else would the terminator be good for? Thank you. PS. See photo notice. I can't figure out how this site works.

Nevermind. I'll find another site. You can't just add attachments to a post on this one. This is a strange website. I have no idea how to include pictures.

Tom Lee

A termination is necessary to avoid transmission line reflections. If you are using a 50-ohm coaxial cable and wish to have a clean response at high frequency, you need to terminate the cable in 50 ohms. That's what the doodad is for.

You do not use the doodad with a conventional 10:1 probe.

-- Cheers
Tom

--
Prof. Thomas H. Lee
Allen Ctr., Rm. 205

On 6/22/2021 21:18, henryfinley wrote:
When I acquired my Tek 465B, there was a 50ohm BNC male terminator doo-dad plugged into this jack. Why? Is it needed with this scope? If not, what else would the terminator be good for? Thank you. PS. See photo notice. I can't figure out how this site works.

Jean-Paul

Henry, this is the best group for TEK scopes, many TEK veterans and restorers. There is a separate page to upload photos. They are not included in the messages.

The 50 ohm BNC terminator is useful for RF and high frequency testing for 50 Ohm sources.

Remove it to use the 1 Mohm input or to add a 10X probe.

Bon chance,

Jon

PS: 465B was a fine scope, I had several since 1970s. After decades the HV section and transformer often fail.