Topics

2465 Fan Collet Thingy

Li Gangyi

Alrighty, I've successfully made a couple of these and tested them out (although I don't own the actual fan/scope).

Threaded and stud added (m4x0.7), I'm not sure of the stock hardware (was it a nylok nut and spring washer for example?). I tested a few to destruction with a 1.8mm shaft (actually an air adapter for filling up basketballs and such) and cranking it down until I heard a crack, all the failures where at the collet, non stripped out. They failed with way more torque that you'd normally put thru such a small nut, although reefing on it would crack it. I have no real means to measure the amount of torque required (the smallest torque wrench I have goes down to only 30inlbs).

If anyone would like a few to try (I'll ship them with a set of hardware), or you want to tap them for your thread size, i can leave the hole unmolested. contact me offline and we'll sort that out.

Li Gangyi

That is ultimately my plan. Gonna cut a screw down as a stud and put the
same resin in the there and cure the whole thing in a UV chamber, should
get rid of any issues with the square edges in the initial hole.

I tested a piece to destruction, it broke at the collet slits when I side
loaded it too much on the lathe, which is a fair bit and not anything id
expect in use. This is with a exterior collet I made to fit this collet, I
have yet to test the strength of the threads, i will do so next. Torque it
down hard with some washers in between and see how much it takes to strip
it out.

On Sat, Aug 15, 2020, 5:54 AM <scm@...> wrote:

A bit of background. I am not a 3D printer guy. If I were making this
part, I would machine
it with a lathe and a milling machine. Also, I might make it entirely out
of metal, depending upon the ultimate application. That having been said -
If I were making t out of plastic, I would consider tapping a 6-32 hole at
the stud end and epoxying in a metal stud ( sawed off piece
of a machine screw). This should end up much stronger than an all plastic
part. The epoxy would ensure strength and reliability and guard against
unscrewing.

SCMenasian

A bit of background. I am not a 3D printer guy. If I were making this part, I would machine
it with a lathe and a milling machine. Also, I might make it entirely out of metal, depending upon the ultimate application. That having been said - If I were making t out of plastic, I would consider tapping a 6-32 hole at the stud end and epoxying in a metal stud ( sawed off piece
of a machine screw). This should end up much stronger than an all plastic part. The epoxy would ensure strength and reliability and guard against unscrewing.

n4buq

If the resin isn't strong enough for a threaded stud, then perhaps just leaving a hole suitable to tap to #6-32 and a short section of threaded rod would work better. It may not be as strong as an embedded metal insert but would probably be strong enough to close the collet without stripping the threads.

Thanks,
Barry - N4BUQ