492BP Confused over which technical manuals to get printed out. Same as 494a?

Edward Prest

I am really confused about what rev. manual I need for a 492BP s/n B030xx.
Is it the 494A docs ? ( I want paper and it's $$.)

I quote someone else's old thread that said...

"...492BP is nothing like a 492, for instance, but rather, it's almost the same as a 494AP. Only the frequency standard and final IF stages are different"

Part 2, and, after studying a downloaded spreadsheet (from somewhere), I believe the 492BP firmware is v9.7 and the dip switches are the only configuration. Correct?

John Miles

That was probably me, and yes, if you don't have access to 492BP-specific documentation for post-B030000 instruments, the 494AP service manuals are the best. The 492AP, 494P, and so forth are quite a bit older.

The DIP switches on the Z-axis board as well as the digital section are both used for configuration. If you plan to play with those switches at all, you should replace them first.

-- john, KE5FX

I am really confused about what rev. manual I need for a 492BP s/n B030xx.
Is it the 494A docs ? ( I want paper and it's $$.)

I quote someone else's old thread that said...

"...492BP is nothing like a 492, for instance, but rather, it's almost the same
as a 494AP. Only the frequency standard and final IF stages are different"

Part 2, and, after studying a downloaded spreadsheet (from somewhere), I
believe the 492BP firmware is v9.7 and the dip switches are the only
configuration. Correct?

Edward Prest

By dumb luck I stumbled on the numbers in a catalog page 172. I think its a page out out the Tek product catalog - no date...

492BP 070-5565-01 vol 1
070-5566-01 vol 2

Edward Prest

I bought the proper pdf manuals from Artek. They have indexes and clear schematics. Definately worth the modest cost.