492AP screen dump

Attilio

Greetings everyone,
I have a question to ask you: with a Tektronix 492AP spectrum analyzer connected to the PC via the Prologix GP-IB to USB adapter and launching the HP 7470A emulator program on the PC with the appropriate connection configuration settings, it is possible to receive the plot of the 492 AP screen on the PC ?

Thanks for your attention.
-- Cheers
Attilio

Robert G8RPI

Hi,
From the KE5FX 7470.EXE manual:

"7470.EXE is a Win32-based emulator for the HP 7470A plotter. It will acquire an HP-GL/2 plot and render it in a window. The plot can then be printed, viewed as an overlay with other plots, or saved in several different graphics file formats as well as its original HP-GL/2 format."

http://www.ke5fx.com/gpib/readme.htm

So the nswer is yes. Note that it is plot though, not a live, changing display.

Attilio

Thanks Robert,
I have everything to view the 492P screen plot on PC, but I don't know how to start data transmission from the 492P.
I have a Panasonic oscilloscope connected to the PC via the Prologix GP-IB to USB converter and it works fine. I press REC, 1 and START on the oscilloscope front panel and on the PC I get the screen plot as if it were done by the HP plotter.
But on the 492P I don't know how to do it.

--Cheers
Attilio

nj902

On Sun, Mar 28, 2021 at 08:42 AM, Attilio wrote:

I don't know how to start data transmission from the 492P
Your first post said the instrument is a 492AP. Which is it? They are quite different.

Attilio

oops, sorry.
This is a 429P not a 492AP, I was wrong.

Attilio

I wanted to write 492P, it's not a day.

--Cheers
Attilio

nj902

When Tektronix introduced the 492, it was an advance in technology to offer so much capability in such a small package. The 492P model includes a GPIB interface for remote control.

The 492 platform became the foundation for subsequent models with additional capabilities. The 494 introduced drift free operation with an internal reference, direct keypad entry of frequency and other parameters, and with the 494P, the ability too directly plot the screen contents to an attached plotter.. That capability continued in later models such as the 492AP.

Unfortunately, since the 492P came first, it doesn't have the direct plot capability.

Attilio

Thanks nj902, I understand.
But I read in the 492P manual that it can transmit the data relating to the waveform in ASCII format, perhaps with a suitable program on a PC they could be converted into a plot type graph ... perhaps?

--Cheers
Attilio

John Miles

7470.exe does just that. Read the help file, carefully (there's a lot to it.)

-- john, KE5FX

But I read in the 492P manual that it can transmit the data relating to the
waveform in ASCII format, perhaps with a suitable program on a PC they could
be converted into a plot type graph ... perhaps?

--Cheers
Attilio

Vince Vielhaber

It can, I've done it. Even did it on an old Tek 4041 controller. I'm currently using a Prologix GPIB-Ethernet controller so I can even use PHP to get the data from a scope, SA, whatever and do a graph.

Vince.

On 03/28/2021 12:37 PM, Attilio wrote:
Thanks nj902, I understand.
But I read in the 492P manual that it can transmit the data relating to the waveform in ASCII format, perhaps with a suitable program on a PC they could be converted into a plot type graph ... perhaps?

--Cheers
Attilio

Attilio

Thank you guys,
you give me back hope. I'll try with the 7470.exe.

--Cheers
Attilio

Attilio

Good day everyone, I need your help to interface the PC to the 492P through the Prologix and using the HP7470A emulator program.
I connected the various components (PC with USB port, Prologix to the GPIB port of the 492P) and turned on both the PC and the 492 P. The settings of the GPIB switches on the 492P are for address 3, EOI, TALK and LISTEN to logic 0 (?).
By pressing the "REMOTE" button on the 492 P, the display shows "492 P VER 1.6 BUSADD 03". The Prologix has no switches and has two LEDs, the "LISTEN" LED lights up (the "TALK" LED is off).
The "ADDRESSED" led on the 492 P turns on and the controls on the front are blocked. If I launch the HP7470A emulator program and select acquiring from tektronix 49x with address 3, the LED of the "REMOTE" button on the 492 P lights up but the program freezes, does not respond and displays nothing.
I also tried to run the GPIB configurator program that sees me the COMM 3 port (USB connected to the Prologix), but I don't know how to set the parameters.

--Cheers
Attilio

John Miles

You don't need to set any parameters in the configurator, those are just for user convenience. Just select the Prologix adapter in the list and hit 'Update CONNECT.INI', then exit the program (which it sounds like you've already done.)

However, it's a good idea to set LF-OR-EOI to '1' on the analyzer itself, because that will let you use other programs besides 7470.EXE. With the 492P, I suspect it's necessary in all cases including 7470.EXE. So I'd say try again with LF-OR-EOI turned on.

-- john, KE5FX

[...]

Thanks John,
to obtain a minimum result I had to put on 492 P: LISTEN at 0, TALK at 1 and EOI at 0. In this way on the HP 7470A emulator on the PC I select acquire from tektronix at address 3 and press "REMOTE" on the 492 P ,
"BUS ADD T0" and "NO LISTENER" appear on the 492 P screen. On the Prologix only the "TALK" led is on. The following message appears on the screen of the HP7470A emulator program: "Attemp to read from unsupported instrument model 'FINE OFF; DELFR OFF; FRQ RNG 1; MINATT +40; ........ CLIP OFF; WMFPRE WFID; FULL, ENCDG: ASC; POINT 500,250; RQS OFF; EOS OFF; CURVE CRVID: FULL, 72, 73, ...... ".
In the first part of the message it seems to me there is the configuration of the controls on the front panel of the 492 P and after the item CURVE CRVID there are a very long series of two-digit numbers separated by commas which I think are the coordinates in ASCII of the waveform to plot.

I don't know what to do, only the waveform data to plot should be separated and kept, but how ?

Thanks for your help

--Cheers
Attilio

Attilio

John, you have an idea of ​​how to plot the 492P screen without getting the message "" Attemp to read from unsupported instrument model 'FINE OFF; DELFR OFF; FRQ RNG 1; MINATT +40; ........ CLIP OFF; WMFPRE WFID; FULL, ENCDG: ASC; POINT 500,250; RQS OFF; EOS OFF; CRVID CURVES: FULL, 72, 73, ...... "from the 7470.exe emulation program (version 2.00).

Thanks for the help, I don't know what to do anymore.

--Cheers
Attilio

John Miles

V2.00 is about 8 years old at this point, so I'd recommend updating. Beyond that, make sure the LF-OR-EOI switch on the back panel is set to '1', and that you are using a genuine NI or Prologix adapter (not an off-brand clone).

It sounds like there's a loss of synchronization between the commands being sent to the analyzer and the responses that are coming back.

-- john, KE5FX

John, you have an idea of ​​how to plot the 492P screen without getting the
message "" Attemp to read from unsupported instrument model 'FINE OFF;
DELFR OFF; FRQ RNG 1; MINATT +40; ........ CLIP OFF; WMFPRE WFID; FULL,
ENCDG: ASC; POINT 500,250; RQS OFF; EOS OFF; CRVID CURVES: FULL, 72, 73,
...... "from the 7470.exe emulation program (version 2.00).

Thanks for the help, I don't know what to do anymore.

--Cheers
Attilio

Attilio

John,
I loaded 7470.exe version V2.06 and set LF OR EOI to "1", without success. But do the TALK ONLY and LISTEN ONLY switches on the 492P have to be on "1" or on "0" ?
And on the 7470.exe program which number should I choose for "Plotter addressable at" ?

Thanks for the help and sorry.

--Cheers
Attilio

John Miles

As described in the help file, talk-only and listen-only need to be off (0).

The best approach is to set the address to 3, LF-OR-EOI to on, and talk/listen only to off. Then you should only need to hit F4 to grab a plot.

-- john

I loaded 7470.exe version V2.06 and set LF OR EOI to "1", without success. But
do the TALK ONLY and LISTEN ONLY switches on the 492P have to be on "1" or
on "0" ?
And on the 7470.exe program which number should I choose for "Plotter
addressable at" ?

Thanks for the help and sorry.

--Cheers
Attilio

Attilio

Thanks John, I try as soon as I finish repairing the A54 Memory card (I replaced the EPROMs with a single EPROM 27C512 and added some HD74LS07P buffers, the EPROM 27C512 contains the data of the three original EPROMs at the correct addresses).
I hope it works.

--Cheers
Attilio

Attilio

John, it finally works!
They were those damn GP-IB switches on the back of the 492P.
I only have two questions: the first time I press F4 (7470.exe program) on the 492P screen comes out first a "T", then an "L" and lastly an "S" which remains until the 492P turns off. Subsequent requests with F4 work, but the "S" is always present and the "T" and "L" are no longer displayed, is this normal behavior?
A curiosity, when the span / div is selected on "MAX" (display of the 492P) the plot indicates 420 MHz / div (bands 1 to 3) and 1 GHz / div (bands 4 and 5), I expected "MAX" to come out also on the plot (?).

Thanks for your attention.
--Cheers
Attilio