491 Spectrum Analyzer with Custom Modifications

I saw this 491 on the auction site yesterday with a custom modification.

Pictures here https://groups.io/g/TekScopes/album?id=265112

The listing ended last night. I was not the purchaser (sadly, the price was very good).

Here is a link to the original listing https://www.ebay.com/itm/184704993611?nma=true&si=RZU6h9umVBH9zpUNGWIszvRCZ2M%253D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

I'm just curious if anyone can shed some light on what the modification is and does (or if anyone on this group was the purchaser, because that would be cool)

-- Jeff Dutky

Dick Benson

Jeff,

I'm just curious if anyone can shed some light on what the modification
is and does (or if anyone on this group was the
purchaser, because that would be cool.)

I suspect the "Custom Modifications" are that abomination sitting on top of
the analyzer. But, that said, there are no obvious connections.

I was not the purchaser (sadly, the price was very good).
I have a working, stock (unmodified) 491 that I would be happy to sell you
for $290 plus shipping.

I am located near San Jose CA. Contact me off list if interested.

Dick Benson

Sent from a Virus, Logic, and Mask Free Bunker deep within
The Utopian State of California

nj902

The 491 is an interesting historical artifact.

For that purpose, you would be far better off with an un-molested one like Dick has.

Miguel Work

It seems like a FM AM demodulator with manual tuning switch and tuning pot. I have two 491, is an interesting artefact :) https://entangledwaves.wordpress.com/2014/07/09/tektronix-491-spectrum-analyzer-teardown-and-analysis/ -----Mensaje original----- De: TekScopes@groups.io [mailto:TekScopes@groups.io] En nombre de Jeff Dutky Enviado el: lunes, 14 de junio de 2021 20:33 Para: TekScopes@groups.io Asunto: [TekScopes] 491 Spectrum Analyzer with Custom Modifications I saw this 491 on the auction site yesterday with a custom modification. Pictures here https://groups.io/g/TekScopes/album?id=265112 The listing ended last night. I was not the purchaser (sadly, the price was very good). Here is a link to the original listing https://www.ebay.com/itm/184704993611?nma=true&si=RZU6h9umVBH9zpUNGWIszvRCZ2M%253D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557 I'm just curious if anyone can shed some light on what the modification is and does (or if anyone on this group was the purchaser, because that would be cool) -- Jeff Dutky Scanned by McAfee and confirmed virus-free. Find out more here: https://bit.ly/2zCJMrO

Miguel Work

Hi! Is your 491 complete? With cover and all the mixers attenuators and cables? -----Mensaje original----- De: TekScopes@groups.io [mailto:TekScopes@groups.io] En nombre de Dick Benson Enviado el: martes, 15 de junio de 2021 16:34 Para: TekScopes@groups.io Asunto: Re: [TekScopes] 491 Spectrum Analyzer with Custom Modifications Jeff, >> I'm just curious if anyone can shed some light on what the >> modification >> is and does (or if anyone on this group was the >> purchaser, because that would be cool.) I suspect the "Custom Modifications" are that abomination sitting on top of the analyzer. But, that said, there are no obvious connections. >> I was not the purchaser (sadly, the price was very good). I have a working, stock (unmodified) 491 that I would be happy to sell you for $290 plus shipping. I am located near San Jose CA. Contact me off list if interested. Dick Benson Sent from a Virus, Logic, and Mask Free Bunker deep within The Utopian State of California Scanned by McAfee and confirmed virus-free. Find out more here: https://bit.ly/2zCJMrO