Topics

485 Cordwrap Feet

Michael W. Lynch

Jeff,

Yep, Good Ole "southern engineering". I was thinking that if this was indeed a 485, then it was entirely possible for someone who was industrious enough, to adapt another cordwrap foot to the unit. My first vote was for a mis-identified unit. This is a good idea, since the 485 lacks any place to go with the cord in its original configuration.

--
Michael Lynch
Dardanelle, AR

Roy Thistle

On Thu, Jul 23, 2020 at 07:30 AM, Jeff Davis wrote:

it's clearly not a 454, 465, or 475 foot
No. Its not so clear,here in the colonies.
We have 475, with feet, just as I described, with both the 1/4 circular shape, and rectangular (more square) shaped feet.
As I opined, the 1/4 circular shape aids in the cord wrap, and creates tension? in the cord... the rectangular shape helps to hold the cord onto the feet (in addition to the flutes on foot's body.)

Raymond Cote

What good are links if there are NO pictures?

In matters of style, float with the current. In matters of Principle, stand like a rock. “. — Thomas Jefferson —

On Jul 23, 2020, at 10:04, Michael W. Lynch via groups.io <mlynch003=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Jeff,

Yep, Good Ole "southern engineering". I was thinking that if this was indeed a 485, then it was entirely possible for someone who was industrious enough, to adapt another cordwrap foot to the unit. My first vote was for a mis-identified unit. This is a good idea, since the 485 lacks any place to go with the cord in its original configuration.

--
Michael Lynch
Dardanelle, AR

Chuck Harris

You have to be logged into groups.io to see the pictures...

-Chuck Harris

Raymond Cote wrote:

What good are links if there are NO pictures?

In matters of style, float with the current. In matters of Principle, stand like a rock. “. — Thomas Jefferson —

On Jul 23, 2020, at 10:04, Michael W. Lynch via groups.io <mlynch003=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Jeff,

Yep, Good Ole "southern engineering". I was thinking that if this was indeed a 485, then it was entirely possible for someone who was industrious enough, to adapt another cordwrap foot to the unit. My first vote was for a mis-identified unit. This is a good idea, since the 485 lacks any place to go with the cord in its original configuration.

--
Michael Lynch
Dardanelle, AR

Tom Bowers

For what it's worth, I traveled all over the US with a 485 for nearly 10
years, back when you could put a scope in the overhead bin of an airplane.
This scope had a probe bag so coiling the cord and slipping it under the
snap down flap into the bag provided great cord protection. I don't know
how common the bag option was but it worked great for me over thousands of
miles of travel. I still have that scope, if anyone wants a picture,
contact me off list.

Tom Bowers
pvhengineering at gmail dot com

On Thu, Jul 23, 2020 at 12:44 PM, Tom Bowers wrote:

For what it's worth, I traveled all over the US with a 485 for nearly 10
years, back when you could put a scope in the overhead bin of an airplane.
This scope had a probe bag so coiling the cord and slipping it under the
snap down flap into the bag provided great cord protection. I don't know
how common the bag option was but it worked great for me over thousands of
miles of travel. I still have that scope, if anyone wants a picture,
contact me off list.
Tom,
I could see how that would be ideal for travel. Unfortunately, My 485 is missing the bag. The cordwrap feet are also handy for when you do not need the entire cord length, but want to have the instrument plugged in.

--
Michael Lynch
Dardanelle, AR

Roy Thistle

On Thu, Jul 23, 2020 at 12:10 PM, Michael W. Lynch wrote:

The cordwrap feet are also handy for when you do not need the entire cord
length, but want to have the instrument plugged in.
Feet on any of these series of Tek with bale handles (like on a 475)... are a blessing, and a curse when they rot! I often have to store them horizontally... and that's when the feet fail! (Foot rot failure [ and retrofit feet] are a well known and much discussed topic on TekScopes... I'm just saying, I wish I had intact ones on everything.) Nope.. won't pay even 20.00 for feet.