Topics

475A man and schems


Roy Thistle
 

Hi All:
There are copious discussions about the 475A service man, and schems, on TekScopes
But, I don't find a 475A service manual on TekWiki... but it is on the Web, and pretty good scans of the 475A schematics are on the Web too (TekWiki has a couple of scans of the schematics; but, the ones on the Web are clearer.)
Is it a copyright thing? (I don't really understand how things make it/don't make it onto Tekwiki.)


 

The 475A service manual and schematics (separate PDFs) are right there on the TekWiki page for the 475, on the right side column labeled "Manuals" under "475A". The service manual for the 475A is not quite like the service manual for the 475 in that it contains neither schematics nor photographs of the circuit boards, but it is otherwise complete.

Here is the 475 (and 475A) page: https://w140.com/tekwiki/wiki/475
and here is the service manual PDF: https://w140.com/tekwiki/images/6/62/070-2162-00.pdf

I'm not sure why the 475A service manual doesn't include schematics or PCB images, or if it's just the PDFs that don't have them. I've got a physical manual on order and will see, in a week or so, if it is also missing schematics and photographs.


 

On Sun, Nov 22, 2020 at 10:51 PM, Jeff Dutky wrote:


I'm not sure why the 475A service manual doesn't include schematics or PCB
images, or if it's just the PDFs that don't have them. I've got a physical
manual on order and will see, in a week or so, if it is also missing
schematics and photographs.
The real (paper) 475A SM is complete with schematics and PCB images.

Raymond


 

Raymond wrote:

The real (paper) 475A SM is complete with schematics and PCB images.
Then I'm glad I splashed out for the printed docs!

It's a real pain wading through several different PDFs while trying to navigate the device on the bench (there's not currently space for a computer).

-- Jeff Dutky


Roy Thistle
 

On Sun, Nov 22, 2020 at 01:51 PM, Jeff Dutky wrote:


The 475A service manual...are right there on the TekWiki
Hi Jeff:
I'm not sure why you are claiming this. TekWiki was down (at least here in the colony) yesterday... but I still only see a "service manual" for the 475, and not the 475A.
As I posted. I have good clear pdfs of the 475A (both the manual [it says 475A /not 475], and the schematics.)
I'm not sure why this information is not on TekWiki? It is on the Web... in many places.
If you are using the 475 service manuals, and the 475 schematics... I wouldn't trust service manuals and schematics either... since a 475 is not a 475A, and vice versa.
My question still stands... why isn't a 475A service manual available on Tekwiki... along with better scans/OCR of the 475A schematic?
To reiterate... I'm not even sure how stuff makes it onto TekWiki... is that something TekScope members just upload to?


Colin Herbert
 

How odd,
I can see the 475A Service Manual (less schematics) and a collection of schematics on TekWiki, so that makes at least two of us. Are you looking at the right-hand side of the page, where I can see them?

Things get onto TekWiki by sending them to Kurt, whose email is shown big at the bottom of the Main Page. If you miss it, it is:

Kurt.harlem@gmail.com

Kurt can also set up an account for people who want to contribute more directly.

Good Luck,
Colin.

-----Original Message-----
From: TekScopes@groups.io [mailto:TekScopes@groups.io] On Behalf Of Roy Thistle
Sent: 24 November 2020 18:54
To: TekScopes@groups.io
Subject: Re: [TekScopes] 475A man and schems

On Sun, Nov 22, 2020 at 01:51 PM, Jeff Dutky wrote:


The 475A service manual...are right there on the TekWiki
Hi Jeff:
I'm not sure why you are claiming this. TekWiki was down (at least here in the colony) yesterday... but I still only see a "service manual" for the 475, and not the 475A.
As I posted. I have good clear pdfs of the 475A (both the manual [it says 475A /not 475], and the schematics.)
I'm not sure why this information is not on TekWiki? It is on the Web... in many places.
If you are using the 475 service manuals, and the 475 schematics... I wouldn't trust service manuals and schematics either... since a 475 is not a 475A, and vice versa.
My question still stands... why isn't a 475A service manual available on Tekwiki... along with better scans/OCR of the 475A schematic?
To reiterate... I'm not even sure how stuff makes it onto TekWiki... is that something TekScope members just upload to?


toby@...
 

On 2020-11-24 1:54 p.m., Roy Thistle wrote:
On Sun, Nov 22, 2020 at 01:51 PM, Jeff Dutky wrote:


The 475A service manual...are right there on the TekWiki
Hi Jeff:
I'm not sure why you are claiming this. TekWiki was down (at least here in the colony) yesterday... but I still only see a "service manual" for the 475, and not the 475A.
As I posted. I have good clear pdfs of the 475A (both the manual [it says 475A /not 475], and the schematics.)
I'm not sure why this information is not on TekWiki? It is on the Web... in many places.
If you are using the 475 service manuals, and the 475 schematics... I wouldn't trust service manuals and schematics either... since a 475 is not a 475A, and vice versa.
My question still stands... why isn't a 475A service manual available on Tekwiki... along with better scans/OCR of the 475A schematic?
To reiterate... I'm not even sure how stuff makes it onto TekWiki... is that something TekScope members just upload to?
Yes; I know I have.

See the main page: http://w140.com/tekwiki/wiki/Main_Page

"If you want to add to Tekwiki or improve existing Tekwiki pages, please
email the administrator for an account."


--Toby







Tom Lee
 

Very odd indeed! It's all been there for a while (perhaps years), so I don't know why Roy is seemingly uniquely afflicted.

--Tom

--
Prof. Thomas H. Lee
Allen Ctr., Rm. 205
350 Jane Stanford Way
Stanford University
Stanford, CA 94305-4070
http://www-smirc.stanford.edu

On 11/24/2020 11:28, Colin Herbert via groups.io wrote:
How odd,
I can see the 475A Service Manual (less schematics) and a collection of schematics on TekWiki, so that makes at least two of us. Are you looking at the right-hand side of the page, where I can see them?

Things get onto TekWiki by sending them to Kurt, whose email is shown big at the bottom of the Main Page. If you miss it, it is:

Kurt.harlem@gmail.com

Kurt can also set up an account for people who want to contribute more directly.

Good Luck,
Colin.

-----Original Message-----
From: TekScopes@groups.io [mailto:TekScopes@groups.io] On Behalf Of Roy Thistle
Sent: 24 November 2020 18:54
To: TekScopes@groups.io
Subject: Re: [TekScopes] 475A man and schems

On Sun, Nov 22, 2020 at 01:51 PM, Jeff Dutky wrote:

The 475A service manual...are right there on the TekWiki
Hi Jeff:
I'm not sure why you are claiming this. TekWiki was down (at least here in the colony) yesterday... but I still only see a "service manual" for the 475, and not the 475A.
As I posted. I have good clear pdfs of the 475A (both the manual [it says 475A /not 475], and the schematics.)
I'm not sure why this information is not on TekWiki? It is on the Web... in many places.
If you are using the 475 service manuals, and the 475 schematics... I wouldn't trust service manuals and schematics either... since a 475 is not a 475A, and vice versa.
My question still stands... why isn't a 475A service manual available on Tekwiki... along with better scans/OCR of the 475A schematic?
To reiterate... I'm not even sure how stuff makes it onto TekWiki... is that something TekScope members just upload to?










Roy Thistle
 

On Tue, Nov 24, 2020 at 11:28 AM, Colin Herbert wrote:


I can see the 475A Service Manual
Hi Colin:
Yes.
When I search for "475A" at TekWiki at:
http://w140.com/tekwiki/wiki/Main_Page
the following page comes up:
http://w140.com/tekwiki/wiki/475
At the right are links (in blue) for the various files associated with the page.
The file that I should open is "Tektronix 475A Manual", 070-2162-00? ... which indicates... when opened... that it actually is the "475 service manual."
Generally, things are organized, and labelled so, on TekWiki, according to "manual", and "service manual"... so unless someone knew... or opened all the 475A files... they/me would think that is another version of the "user" or "operators" guide?
Indeed, it's there.... thus, if one is following the "Fix or Part Out a Tek 475A " thread... why is there any confusion between which parts are in the Z-axis amplifier of a 475A, versus a 475... as the OP of that thread (et. al.) seem to be following a 475 service manual?... at least part of the time. TekWiki for the docs was mentioned several times in the thread.


Roy Thistle
 

On Sun, Nov 22, 2020 at 01:51 PM, Jeff Dutky wrote:


Here is the 475 (and 475A) page: https://w140.com/tekwiki/wiki/475
and here is the service manual PDF:
https://w140.com/tekwiki/images/6/62/070-2162-00.pdf
Hi Jeff:
Yes, you are correct.
I wasn't able to resolve the link's address yesterday (I got repeated D.N.S. errors) but yes it loads for me now.
I see that indeed there are no outlines or drawings of the 475A boards, or 475A schematics, in that file.
Thank you for the posting the link.
Best regards.
Roy