Topics

475 With a bowed display. . . .Ideas?

On Mon, Aug 10, 2020 at 06:57 PM, <toby@...> wrote:

My next problem is that I do not have a replacement CRT. I was thinking (there
I go again!) that I have one, but what I have available are a 154-0731-00 and
a 154-0731-04 not the required 154-0677-10. So, I need to find a good CRT for
this scope. This scope is too nice to just part out, but also worthless
without a proper CRT.
It might be worthwhile to check and see if one of your -0731's will do. The 'scopes are very alike, except for BW of course and ISTR that CRT's of different models were used during the production life of the 465/475 series. At least I'd think that they are pin compatible. ISTR that the expansion mesh construction in the 465 was changed/improved at some stage but that's probably just the -0x mod level in the -0731.
Possibly worth a try after establishing that nothing will blow up.
An example of Tek's CRT selection but "the other way around" is the CRT Tek used in the 24XX series: The same CRT model could be found in digitizing 'scopes (2430..2440), where a BW of a few MHz was enough and in 150..400 MHz 2445..2465 models. So, distributed plates (HF feature) in a 'scope where only a few MHz is needed (2430..2440)! Economies of scale probably were behind that decision.

Raymond

Michael W. Lynch

On Mon, Aug 10, 2020 at 12:27 PM, Raymond Domp Frank wrote:

It might be worthwhile to check and see if one of your -0731's will do. The
'scopes are very alike, except for BW of course and ISTR that CRT's of
different models were used during the production life of the 465/475 series.
At least I'd think that they are pin compatible. ISTR that the expansion mesh
construction in the 465 was changed/improved at some stage but that's probably
just the -0x mod level in the -0731.
Possibly worth a try after establishing that nothing will blow up.
Raymond,

Unfortunately, the 475 CRT has an extra set of pins on the side of the CRT, which the 465 CRT lacks. The extra pins are adjacent to and aligned with the Vertical Deflection plate pins. There is about 1 1/2 - 2 inches between the two sets of pins (I did not measure, just from memory). So there are a total of 4 pins on the side of the CRT, where the 465 only has 2 pins. The Horizontal pins come in from the bottom exactly like the 465. Even though the 465 and 475 are similar, I am much more familiar with the 465 and it is not at all clear in the schematic or the service manual what these pins do. I am certainly not experienced enough to say what these are for. These two extra pins do not show in the schematic, at least not that I can find. I don't want to risk trying without those extra pins connected. This might damage the scope, the CRT or worst of all both of them. Clearly different from the 465/465B CRT. Do you have any idea what these extra 2 pins might be for?

--
Michael Lynch
Dardanelle, AR

On Mon, Aug 10, 2020 at 08:28 PM, Michael W. Lynch wrote:

[...]

I'm not familiar with the CRT of the 475, I have to admit. The extra pins almost certainly are distributed plate connections. In general, there's just a terminator connected between both "ends". I didn't know the 475 had distributed vertical plates. The main idea of distributed plates is to make sure that those electrons that make up the beam at any moment, traveling from cathode to screen at a certain (limited) speed, aren't deflected first to one side then to the other by the same vertical plate('s charge) because they take time to pass the plate which sits along the beam's path for a "significant time". The distributed plate artificially lengthens the signal path and causes the applied signal to travel in parallel with the beam at the beam's speed toward the screen. Using very "short" vertical plates instead isn't an option because deflection sensitivity depends (a.o.) on the time that the charge of a plate works on the beam. You should be able to measure a DC connection between both ends of each distributed plate.

Raymond

On Mon, Aug 10, 2020 at 08:59 PM, Raymond Domp Frank wrote:

both "ends".
Trying to say here that there's an impedance matching terminator connecting the "far side" of the top plate and the "far side" of the bottom plate.

Raymond

Michael W. Lynch

Raymond,

I am not familiar at all with the 475. This is the first one that I have tried working on. I do have a perfectly functional 475A/DM44, but have not had to open it up at this point. I have heard about these"distributed plates" but never took the time to explore the theory behind them. I suppose that these higher speed scopes require them at the higher bandwidths which they are capable of displaying. Most of my work has been on slower scopes.

Thanks for taking the time to explain this to me. I will do some additional reading.

Sincerely,

--
Michael Lynch
Dardanelle, AR

Chuck Harris

RATS!!!

-Chuck Harris

Michael W. Lynch via groups.io wrote:

All:

I went back and confirmed that the Geometry and Y Align controls were functioning correctly. Both circuits checked out good.

Reconfirmed all power supplies potentials and ripple.

Checked all physical connections to the CRT.

After that, the CRT needed to come out to see if steering magnets were used and had subsequently become dislodged (which was not the case).

Although I was holding out hope that physical damage to the CRT was not the cause, Chuck Harris hit the nail on the head with his first response to my inquiry.

Chuck Harris
Aug 8 #170283
Typically, when a proper application of the Geometry,
Focus, Astigmatism, Trace Rotation, and other affiliated
adjustments results in a screen that just doesn't look
as pretty as we would like, it means that there has been
an outside physical influence on the CRT (READ: OOPS! BANG!
$%^! & #!!*^! Why Me???)
Cause of Problem found, But problem not solved! After removing the CRT, I could detect the very faint "tinkle" of broken glass. Closer examination revealed that one of the the glass rods that supports for the Deflection plates and the geometry shield had been broken. this obviously skews the deflection plates and the geometry electrodes as well.

See the condition of the glass support rod in New photos at: https://groups.io/g/TekScopes/photo/251792/0

My next problem is that I do not have a replacement CRT. I was thinking (there I go again!) that I have one, but what I have available are a 154-0731-00 and a 154-0731-04 not the required 154-0677-10. So, I need to find a good CRT for this scope. This scope is too nice to just part out, but also worthless without a proper CRT.

Michael Lynch
Dardanelle, AR

Michael W. Lynch

On Mon, Aug 10, 2020 at 12:01 PM, <toby@...> wrote:

Aaarg, sorry, ignore my message about Sphere. It's sold.

There is one on ebay UK though:
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/154-0677-10-TEKTRONIX-CRT/264704023173

--Toby
Toby,

Yes, I found that one. Too rich for my blood. I will just lurk around until I find a parts scope. One of these will turn up sooner or later.

--
Michael Lynch
Dardanelle, AR

Michael W. Lynch

On Mon, Aug 10, 2020 at 11:58 AM, Tom Gardner wrote:

I went and picked up a CRT, and the bloke let me have a decent deal on a 485
that took a long time to startup first thing in the morning. Locating the
dubious startup electrolytic fixed the problem, but lead to the problem of
buying more duff scopes :(
Tom,

Laughing here at reading this. Almost exactly how I got into the same predicament here. Some people say you smoke crack one time and you are hooked and people like us fix one scope and we are hooked, we cannot stop buying old blue boxes with a whole bunch of little knobs and switches on the front.
--
Michael Lynch
Dardanelle, AR

Michael W. Lynch

On Mon, Aug 10, 2020 at 03:01 PM, Chuck Harris wrote:

RATS!!!

-Chuck Harris
Chuck,

Yes, it SUCKS! When I heard that glass tinkle, my heart sank. If this was an old beater, it would not be so bad, but this is a very nice scope. I suppose that a good parts scope will turn up sooner or later. At least I am ready if that happens.

Appreciate all the advice that you provide.

Sincerely,

--
Michael Lynch
Dardanelle, AR

Tom Gardner

On 13/08/20 15:17, Michael W. Lynch via groups.io wrote:
On Mon, Aug 10, 2020 at 11:58 AM, Tom Gardner wrote:

I went and picked up a CRT, and the bloke let me have a decent deal on a 485
that took a long time to startup first thing in the morning. Locating the
dubious startup electrolytic fixed the problem, but lead to the problem of
buying more duff scopes :(
Tom,

Laughing here at reading this. Almost exactly how I got into the same predicament here. Some people say you smoke crack one time and you are hooked and people like us fix one scope and we are hooked, we cannot stop buying old blue boxes with a whole bunch of little knobs and switches on the front.
I taught my daughter the concept of how you become a drunkard, i.e. one drink at a time.

I once asked people why I needed a fourth scope. There was only one justifiable answer: you must have four before you can have five :(

Jim Hall

On 8/13/2020 9:17 AM, Michael W. Lynch via groups.io wrote:

On Mon, Aug 10, 2020 at 11:58 AM, Tom Gardner wrote:

I went and picked up a CRT, and the bloke let me have a decent deal on a
485
that took a long time to startup first thing in the morning. Locating
the
dubious startup electrolytic fixed the problem, but lead to the
problem of
buying more duff scopes :(

Tom,

Laughing here at reading this. Almost exactly how I got into the
same predicament here. Some people say you smoke crack one time and you
are hooked and people like us fix one scope and we are hooked, we cannot
stop buying old blue boxes with a whole bunch of little knobs and switches
on the front.
Michael,

I'm glad that I'm not the only one with the blue-box illness. I've had a 465 in my workshop for 20 years with the intention of getting it working.  I bid on several units on eBay this year and was surprised to win all the bids. Thus, with the knowledge from the postings on this group and manuals from Artek, I now have 9 working scopes (465 and 475). Is there a cure for this addition?

Tom Gardner

On 14/08/20 13:38, Jim Hall wrote:
[...]

Yes, but it is worse than the disease.

Start by reading *only* the first three posts on this page (including the acronyms)
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/test-equipment-anonymous-(tea)-group-therapy-thread/msg1114480/#msg1114480
*and nothing else*

Then look at the page and viewing count, and weep.

Paul Amaranth

On Fri, Aug 14, 2020 at 01:59:38PM +0100, Tom Gardner wrote:
I'm glad that I'm not the only one with the blue-box illness. I've had a 465 in my workshop for 20 years with the intention of getting it working.  I bid on several units on eBay this year and was surprised to win all the bids. Thus, with the knowledge from the postings on this group and manuals from Artek, I now have 9 working scopes (465 and 475). Is there a cure for this addition?
Yes, but it is worse than the disease.

Start by reading *only* the first three posts on this page (including the acronyms)
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/test-equipment-anonymous-(tea)-group-therapy-thread/msg1114480/#msg1114480
*and nothing else*

Then look at the page and viewing count, and weep.
Ha, I had never looked at the start of that thread. The problem is that
the "problem" is not restricted to scopes, or Tek or whatever. Got
convinced to buy an electronic load the other week from reading that
thread. Also ended up with a couple of pieces of nixie gear that
was just too cool not to own.

It's also the entry path into time or volt nuttery. Down that rabbit
hole you could end up with your own hydrogen maser or two. I suppose
we should count ourselves lucky.

Did anyone see my post on selling 11 of my Tek scopes? Don't all rush
in at once.

Paul

paul@... | Unix/Linux - We don't do windows

Michael W. Lynch

On Fri, Aug 14, 2020 at 07:38 AM, Jim Hall wrote:

Michael,

I'm glad that I'm not the only one with the blue-box illness. I've had a 465
in my workshop for 20 years with the intention of getting it working.  I bid
on several units on eBay this year and was surprised to win all the bids.
Thus, with the knowledge from the postings on this group and manuals from
Artek, I now have 9 working scopes (465 and 475). Is there a cure for this
addition?
Jim.
I fear that the only sure cure is death.

--
Michael Lynch
Dardanelle, AR