Topics

465M Wave Forms

Harrison

Need some basic clarifications and guidance. I want to view some wave forms of a 465M scope with a 460A digital scope. The manual for the 465M tells you to run a 50 Ohm cable between the "A EXT Trigger of the test scope (460A) and the "+A Gate" of the scope under test (465M). The 465M markings are clear. In the case of the "A EXT Trigger" of the 460A, would that be the EXT clock BNC on the rear of the scope?
I am a bit confused. If I have the bnc cable hooked up as indicated above, is the probe attached to channel 1 of the 465M or is it attached to the 460A. Or, am I all wet on this. Thank you
Harrison N1FAM

DaveH52

A EXT Trigger of the 460A to the A Gate of the 465M rear panel.
Probe on channel 1 input of the 460A then use it to poke around in the 465M

Harrison

Thank you for the clarification Dave. The markings on the different BNCs on the back of the 465M is very clear and descriptive (matching the labeling used in the Wave Form section of the manual). I must ask just to be completely clear; When you refer to the "A EXT Trigger" of the 460A, in your answer, are you referring to the single BNC on the back of the 460A labeled "Aux Trigger/Ext Clock +6V. I ask because scope use is not a norm for me and I don't want to damage either scope by a wrong hook up. Also, do or should I have an attenuator or such in the cable hook up to protect either scope?
Finally, what is the intent of the 50 Ohm cable between the 465M and the 460A (Between the scope under test and the test scope.)? If you have the probe on channel 1 of the test scope and are probing the scope under test, what is the 50 Ohm cable doing for you? I don't question the instruction I just am trying to understand why the set up is this way. Harrison N1FAM

DaveH52

I'm not that familiar with the 460A, sorry. But yes the AuxTrigger/ExtClock on the rear panel. Select External Trigger from the Trigger menu. The gate out from the 465 is a 5V logic level so an attenuator is not necessary. Making this connection will provide a start of sweep trigger to the 460A so that troubleshooting the horizontal sweep of the 465 will be timed consistently. For most uses, just setting the trigger input to the channel of the probe you're using will work fine. Dave AC2GL