465 Trigger View/Bandwidth Switch Question

Ed Pavlovic

Have a question regarding the operation of the “Trigger View/Bandwidth” switch on my 465 is it supposed to latch when pushed in for the trigger view? Mine latches when pulled out to reduce the bandwidth but slowly pops out when pushed all the way in.

Is this normal, or something I need to add to the list of things to do after the PS capacitors?

Ed Pavlovic

Ed,

The TRIG VIEW position is NOT supposed to latch, in fact it should pop out immediately rather than "slowly." I have lubricated the TRIG VIEW/BW LIMIT switches in a 475 using WD-40, but I'm not sure that this is the preferred (or advisable) method.

-- Jeff Dutky

Mark Vincent

Ed,

I tried mine and your switch is operating normally. All of the way in, it will come out some to the point it should be in. Since you will be replacing parts already, clean the switch as a precaution. Clean the others as well if you have not already done so. It will not hurt.

I replaced the power supply condensers in mine recently due to many on this group saying one or more are likely to give trouble. At the age of these, replacement with new good ones is a good idea. I am glad I listened to others here about this model, 7603 and other 400 series. I already replaced the other electrolytics and some were replaced with radial film types (1-5mfd at 100V or higher that are originally axial) Be SURE to use jumpers between the ground holes of the original tabs. Some will use more than one as a ground jumper. This is if you are not using the new made round boards that allow a radial or modern snap in type into a FP style hole.

Mark

Ed Pavlovic

At least I know the switch is more or less working, I had planned to clean all the switches up as I go through each board. I’m focusing on the PS first, as the -8 volt rail has some serious ripple in it right now and that’s probably causing other issues down the line.

I am planning on using those aftermarket boards to span the three holes and use more modern caps.

Ed Pavlovic