Topics

Upgrading a TDS3BAT

Magic_Smoke

Hello all,

I picked up a tired TDS3BAT (NiCd chemistry, probably containing a failed cell or two) and I was pondering my options for rehabilitation. I will admit I have not even taken the thing apart yet, but in the modern era of batteries we find ourselves I cannot help but think of rewiring it to use lithium cells instead. Does anyone have experience or documentation for these units, and if such a change is practical? I imagine the charging circuit would need replacing, depending on how much of the work happens on the battery side vs. the scope side I am hoping dropping in a dedicated lithium charger will do the trick. Has anyone actually tried this, though? Any pitfalls? Thanks!

Magic_Smoke

Perhaps I should add the goals I have for this project, starting from the highest priority:
1. Not burning down my house
2. Not killing my scope
3. Proper charge readout on the scope
4.Charging while in the scope, but external-only charging is perfectly suitable (and probably safer)

As long as at least the first two goals are met, I am open to suggestions!

Miguel Work

Mine is working with lithium, I have some notes.

Here you can find some information:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/tek-ths720a-portable-scope-teardowndiscussion/

Regards