454 info required

Michael <m_d_d@...>

Hi all,

I have been offered a 454 scope at a low price, not working. I was given
this scope "to look at" a while ago because the trace disappeared.. I
simply replaced an internal fuse near the power transformer and it's worked
okay since (about 3 months). Now it's faulty again and the owner has
offered it to me cheap (not sure yet *how* cheap) because he's gone out and
bought a brand new TDS. I'm wondering if it's worth spending much money
for. I would also need to obtain a service manual.

How difficult is it to get parts for a 454 nowadays? I know it needs a new
intensity pot and two new vertical position pots, I think that's all apart
from the (now) missing trace. What's a 454 worth on the market?

thanks and regards,
:)
Michael

Phil (VA3UX) <phil@...>

On eBay, non-working or "need repair" 454's have typically sold for $30 to $75. "Working" 454's sell usually for $90 to $175 with an average in the $115 to $150 range.

Parts are available from junkers, from the friendly members of this group, eBay, and a very few individuals that have access to NOS parts. Tektronix does not support these old scopes in any way.

Phil

At 12:25 PM 10/30/2001 +1100, you wrote:

[...]

Hmmm... Thanks for that. I think I just might go as far as $50 (Aust),
since the parts I need are "probably" available... <g>

Thanks again and regards,
:)
Michael