Topics

ths730a battery cover stuck

Scott Adams

I just got a ths730a and it works fine, but the battery cover is frozen stuck. I do not want to break anything so any ideas on how to remove the cover so I can check the battery condition.

On Thu, Oct 10, 2019 at 09:42 PM, Scott Adams wrote:

I do not want to break anything so any ideas on how to remove the cover so I
can check the battery condition.
The normal way to open is to turn the cover 1/4 turn CCW and the cover should
come off. However there is a small o-ring on the cover which may make the cover
stick to the case especially if it hasn't been opened for a long time. Just try to
carefully pull and/or wiggle the cover in the open position and eventually it will come off.

/Håkan

doyle.paul48

G'day Zenith,
The battery compartment relies on having a battery inserted to give enough
spring pressure to pop the cover off when it is rotated.
I use a medium sized bull nosed pliers to rotate the cover then pull it up.
Try not to pry it up with a sharp leaver you could crack it.
Paul Doyle
CRO-TEK

Virus-free.
<#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>

Scott Adams

The problem is the cover is in the closed locked position and it will not rotate, the o-ring might be broken down and is sticking, not sure.

Craig Cramb

The problem is the cover is in the closed locked position and it will not rotate, the o-ring might be broken down and is sticking, not sure.

Your at the point of disassembly. 15 torx screwdriver. Lay on its face on surface that won’t scuff the front. Remove the 4 screws. Hold scope front and back and turn back over onto its back. Then separate the two pieces apart front from back. This will get you to the parts that are stuck together.

Scott Adams

OK, used a set of pliers and was able to work the cover free, seems to work fine now. Bonus, found out the person I got this from had changed the batteries out for NiMH and modified it so that it charges regular NiMH in place, the batteries are not made into a battery pack just 4 loose c-cell NiMH batteries. These are the small tenergy so do not last long, I have ordered 2 sets of their premium 5000mah batteries yi see ifmi can get more time out of them.