Topics

Sanity check- is the TM500 interface spacing .150" or .156"?

Dave Seiter

It's been a long afternoon- what is the connector spacing of the TM500 series?  .150 or .156? Either way, I have a problem to solve.
-Dave

0.156

On 9/29/2019 9:10 PM, Dave Seiter wrote:
It's been a long afternoon- what is the connector spacing of the TM500 series?  .150 or .156? Either way, I have a problem to solve.
-Dave

Dave Seiter

That's what I was afraid of, and hoping for.  It means the readout on my mill is accurate, and my ability to measure something easy sucks.
Sigh....
-Dave

On Sunday, September 29, 2019, 06:27:57 PM PDT, Tom Miller <tmiller11147@comcast.net> wrote:

0.156

On 9/29/2019 9:10 PM, Dave Seiter wrote:
It's been a long afternoon- what is the connector spacing of the TM500 series?  .150 or .156? Either way, I have a problem to solve.
-Dave

Harvey White

I've seen 0.1, 0.125, and 0.156 in terms of fingers on various equipment.  Other then flat flex cable, I've not seen much other than that.  Don't ever remember seeing 0.150, though.

best to take an average over a number of pins, so the measurement inaccuracy gets reduced.

Harvey

On 9/29/2019 10:24 PM, Dave Seiter wrote:
That's what I was afraid of, and hoping for.  It means the readout on my mill is accurate, and my ability to measure something easy sucks.
Sigh....
-Dave
On Sunday, September 29, 2019, 06:27:57 PM PDT, Tom Miller <tmiller11147@comcast.net> wrote:
0.156

On 9/29/2019 9:10 PM, Dave Seiter wrote:
It's been a long afternoon- what is the connector spacing of the TM500 series?  .150 or .156? Either way, I have a problem to solve.
-Dave

Chuck Harris

Hi Dave,

You have to give yourself a break. Make your measurement over
as many pins as possible, and then divide. That way your visual
error is divided by the number of pins... and thus smaller.

-Chuck Harris

Dave Seiter wrote:

That's what I was afraid of, and hoping for. It means the readout on my mill is accurate, and my ability to measure something easy sucks.
Sigh....
-Dave
On Sunday, September 29, 2019, 06:27:57 PM PDT, Tom Miller <tmiller11147@comcast.net> wrote:

0.156

On 9/29/2019 9:10 PM, Dave Seiter wrote:
It's been a long afternoon- what is the connector spacing of the TM500 series? .150 or .156? Either way, I have a problem to solve.
-Dave

Dave Seiter

Yeah, I did that- many times.  I know that .156 is the norm, but I've seen .150, and I could have sworn I got 1.50 across 10 contacts on more than one occasion.  I only measured across the full 28 contacts once, and it did come out to .156 per, but at that point I was so fixated on .150... too many distractions...
No excuses- I just wasn't taking enough care.
-Dave

Dave Seiter wrote:
  That's what I was afraid of, and hoping for.  It means the readout on my mill is accurate, and my ability to measure something easy sucks.
Sigh....
-Dave
    On Sunday, September 29, 2019, 06:27:57 PM PDT, Tom Miller <tmiller11147@comcast.net> wrote:

  0.156

On 9/29/2019 9:10 PM, Dave Seiter wrote:
It's been a long afternoon- what is the connector spacing of the TM500 series?  .150 or .156? Either way, I have a problem to solve.
-Dave

EJP

I get 1.5" from the start of the 1st to the end of the 10th, on several plugins and cables, but that's not the correct way to measure it. Should be start of the 1st to start of the 11th, so there are 10 connectors and 10 gaps. Would that explain it?

EJP

Albert Otten

Jamma makes (or made) kits for TM500 extension cables. A Google search for "jamma boards connector TM500" will immediately show you 3.96mm/0.156" .

Albert

Alexandre Souza

JAMMA is an arcade machine connector standard, not a manufacturer =D

---8<---Corte aqui---8<---
http://www.tabajara-labs.blogspot.com
http://www.tabalabs.com.br
---8<---Corte aqui---8<---

Em seg, 30 de set de 2019 às 05:39, Albert Otten <aodiversen@concepts.nl>
escreveu:

Jamma makes (or made) kits for TM500 extension cables. A Google search for
"jamma boards connector TM500" will immediately show you 3.96mm/0.156" .

Albert

Brian Cockburn

And by 0.156 you mean 5/32" which is actually 0.15625".

Albert Otten

I once assumed that a clutch roller length, specified as 0.236" (5.9944 mm), was 6 mm. Totally wrong! This was the reprimand by a respected British motorcycle technician:
--- If a british engineer "aimed at" 1/4" x 0.236" then that is what he got.
If he wanted 6mm he "aimed at" 6mm and got 6mm
to think that they wanted 6mm instead of 0.236 is totally bizarre logic. ---

Tek mentions pitch 0.156" in the TM502A manual. However, I must say that 5/32" is better consistent with measured pitch of plugin edge connectors. I don't know how much the pitch might be affected by humidity or age.

Albert

Chuck Harris

Fractional inches figures so heavily in so much of older US
engineering, that I am sure that it was really 5/32".

0.156" is simply 5/32" to 3 significant figures.

A milling machine from the era when these connectors were
designed would find it impossible to reliably cut the 0.00025"
residue between a 3 sig figs approximation, and the 5/32"
actual length.

That is why tolerances exist on all engineering drawings.

Your apocryphal British engineer is full of stuff. Given
enough time and money, anyone could cut that residual
difference, but to do so, with real world machines from the
era when Briton still tried to make motorcycles, would be a
waste of that money.

-Chuck Harris

Albert Otten wrote:

I once assumed that a clutch roller length, specified as 0.236" (5.9944 mm), was 6 mm. Totally wrong! This was the reprimand by a respected British motorcycle technician:
--- If a british engineer "aimed at" 1/4" x 0.236" then that is what he got.
If he wanted 6mm he "aimed at" 6mm and got 6mm
to think that they wanted 6mm instead of 0.236 is totally bizarre logic. ---

Tek mentions pitch 0.156" in the TM502A manual. However, I must say that 5/32" is better consistent with measured pitch of plugin edge connectors. I don't know how much the pitch might be affected by humidity or age.

Albert

Leo Bodnar

On Mon, Sep 30, 2019 at 03:56 AM, Harvey White wrote:
I've seen 0.1, 0.125, and 0.156 in terms of fingers on various
equipment.  Other then flat flex cable, I've not seen much other than
that.  Don't ever remember seeing 0.150, though.
Molex has 0.098" pitch card edge series https://www.mouser.co.uk/ProductDetail/Molex/45845-0001?qs=sGAEpiMZZMtWxQ3D3EXBN%252B2s0vbr79RE1DLvj98Pzno%3D

Russian DIP ICs have 2.50mm pitch instead of 2.54mm.
This makes it 0.098".

This was not much of a problem on DIP-8 or DIP-14 ICs but made interchanging larger chips like i8080 with Russian knock-offs an act of utter desperation.
I call 25.0mm a "Russian inch"

Leo

Chuck Harris

It is also the "inch" of virtually all metric lead screw
lathes that are labeled to be "inch" lathes. A side effect
of trying to make an American design inch lathe out of a
metric parts. It never goes well.

-Chuck Harris

Leo Bodnar wrote:

On Mon, Sep 30, 2019 at 03:56 AM, Harvey White wrote:
I've seen 0.1, 0.125, and 0.156 in terms of fingers on various
equipment. Other then flat flex cable, I've not seen much other than
that. Don't ever remember seeing 0.150, though.
Molex has 0.098" pitch card edge series https://www.mouser.co.uk/ProductDetail/Molex/45845-0001?qs=sGAEpiMZZMtWxQ3D3EXBN%252B2s0vbr79RE1DLvj98Pzno%3D

Russian DIP ICs have 2.50mm pitch instead of 2.54mm.
This makes it 0.098".

This was not much of a problem on DIP-8 or DIP-14 ICs but made interchanging larger chips like i8080 with Russian knock-offs an act of utter desperation.
I call 25.0mm a "Russian inch"

Leo

Dave Seiter

Many years ago I was doing some contract work for a company in the telecom industry and I came across a really odd ball edge connector.  I won't say it was the .150", because I don't recall, but it was one of a kind.  The company used plenty and paid way too much for them.  I spent a few days searching for an alternate source, but in the end the only option would have been custom tooling, and they didn't want to go that route.
-Dave

On Monday, September 30, 2019, 09:10:02 AM PDT, Leo Bodnar <leo@leobodnar.com> wrote:

On Mon, Sep 30, 2019 at 03:56 AM, Harvey White wrote:
I've seen 0.1, 0.125, and 0.156 in terms of fingers on various
equipment.  Other then flat flex cable, I've not seen much other than
that.  Don't ever remember seeing 0.150, though.
Molex has 0.098" pitch card edge series https://www.mouser.co.uk/ProductDetail/Molex/45845-0001?qs=sGAEpiMZZMtWxQ3D3EXBN%252B2s0vbr79RE1DLvj98Pzno%3D

Russian DIP ICs have 2.50mm pitch instead of 2.54mm.
This makes it 0.098".

This was not much of a problem on DIP-8 or DIP-14 ICs but made interchanging larger chips like i8080 with Russian knock-offs an act of utter desperation.
I call 25.0mm a "Russian inch"

Leo

Dave Seiter

JAMA maybe?  I remember them, but haven't them in a long time.
Anyway, the extender worked the second time.
-Dave

escreveu:

Jamma makes (or made) kits for TM500 extension cables. A Google search for
"jamma boards connector TM500" will immediately show you 3.96mm/0.156" .

Albert

EJP

It is JAMMA, but they only make the card. The extender is a kit vended by someone else.

Albert Otten

On Thu, Oct 3, 2019 at 01:55 AM, EJP wrote:

It is JAMMA, but they only make the card. The extender is a kit vended by
someone else.
https://web.archive.org/web/20120520114225/http://www.jammaboards.com/store/tektronix-tm500-series-extender-kit-tm500-kit.html

Albert
Albert

Alexandre Souza

BTW
I did my extender with a JAMMA edge board female connector and a JAMMA edge
board used to retrofit older boards (which before JAMMA standard, every
single different game had a different pinout/connector) to JAMMA standard

Works well, I have it for decades =)

Em qui, 3 de out de 2019 às 06:01, Albert Otten <aodiversen@concepts.nl>
escreveu:

On Thu, Oct 3, 2019 at 01:55 AM, EJP wrote:

It is JAMMA, but they only make the card. The extender is a kit vended by
someone else.

https://web.archive.org/web/20120520114225/http://www.jammaboards.com/store/tektronix-tm500-series-extender-kit-tm500-kit.html

Albert
Albert

The JAMMA extenders have been around for a long time. I made one of them myself even though I already had a Tek TM500 extender. The big advantage of the JAMMA extender is its rock bottom price. It will do just fine assuming extenders are something that you use infrequently.

More recently Dan Meeks <dan-meeks@austin.rr.com> created a much more functional (and gorgeous) implementation of the TM500 flexible extender with several useful debugging features that make it more than just an extender. The price for the kit was also rock bottom: $22 + $7 shipping, and they were available through Amazon. Unfortunately they sold out. I bought one and I was very impressed. It quickly became my favorite extender.

You can still see the original Amazon listing to see what it looks like and read about what it can do at this link:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078SY3X1H

Dennis Tillman W7PF

--
Dennis Tillman W7PF