Conclusion to Need Help troubleshooting Tektronix PS280 powersupply
I am very happy to report my tektronix PS 280 is now working beautifully!
Many Thanks to Siggi, Larry, Harvey, John, Chuck, If I forgot anyone my apoligies!
Let me say that timing is somewhat important when posting, Who gets to see it first, I'm pretty much a night owl, but I have to get up early CDT to drop my wife at work.
My first hemorrhagic stroke in my brain stem, Feb 2002 , took away the use of my left arm, and weakened my entire left side, nearly killed me. it was an allergic reaction to Cartizem a family of blood pressure medications, one pill one time, doctors say there is no way to screen for this! I was only 47 at the time.
You are at the mercy of your doctor and who's on call at the ER of your hospital!
I could go on, but don't want to get off topic.
To refresh everyone , I started looking for a Dual Channel power supply around 7-30 volts @ at least 2amps for my bench projects, I'm a ham , that is Amateur Radio op, and belong to the EMRFD group , Experimental Methods in RF Design.
My second stroke also hemorrhagic , a burst aneurism, most likely left from the first stroke, took out my short term memory. So cant remember if it's still a yahoo group or .io .
The very first thing I did after checking the power supply was to check the voltages, as I recall there was some voltage on one of the channels but way low and the other was dead, So recapped both variable supplies, the fixed 5 volt was working , so left it alone.
after the recap, things were better but still not working correctly, actually the first thing I did was download the manual from the TekWiki W140.com ,I think.
in checking the schematic, and parts list I found no special IC's or semiconductors, I often wondered over the years what regulator was used to get it down to 0 volts , in fact it can be adjusted to go slightly negative.
AS it turned out had some loose connections , when I removed the board for recap, So my initial assessment of the recap was correct.
while I did get some help from the group , I was hoping to turn this into a learning experience both for me and other less experienced members, which unfortunately did not happen.
I have checked it under load I get a little better than 2 amps on the Main side and 1.68 amps on the Slave side, I have yet to do the adjustments, and check for ripple yet, but I'm getting a nice smooth 0-31 volts under load on both sides.
AS for the metering I inadvertently reversed the meter connections. my fault.
took at lot longer than I had hoped for but got it working! it will make a nice addition to the rest of my TM500/ 5000 equipment and 2246 mod A scope.
Many thanks again!
Glad you got it working. Every little bit of dialogue about how to fix something is useful, even if it doesn't address the exact problem.toggle quoted messageShow quoted text
On 9/18/2019 2:17 PM, daven9ooq via Groups.Io wrote:
Congrats on the fix - it still gives me a buzz to get a nice bit of test
gear back into action!
On Wed, Sep 18, 2019 at 2:17 PM daven9ooq via Groups.Io <daven9ooq=