Topics

From 2014: Tektronix Announces Winner of Europe’s Oldest Working Oscilloscope Contest

Craig Sawyers found this announcement from 2014 by accident. It was never mentioned on TekScopes prior to today.
Alan is a member of TekScopes and his prize was an MDO4000 Series Mixed Domain Oscilloscope worth €20,700.

Dennis Tillman W7PF

---
Tektronix Announces Winner of Europe’s Oldest Working Oscilloscope Contest
Oldest Working Tektronix Oscilloscope, Wins the Newest

BRACKNELL, UK - May 2014 - Tektronix, a leading manufacturer of oscilloscopes, announced the winner of their competition to find the oldest working oscilloscope in Europe - the winner, chosen from 240 entries, was Alan Ainslie, from Farnham in the UK, with his Model 511AD manufactured in 1951. He won an MDO4000 Series Mixed Domain Oscilloscope worth €20,700, one of the newest oscilloscopes in the Tektronix portfolio.

Alan is a lifelong user and enthusiastic collector of Tektronix oscilloscopes, and currently numbers around 400 in his collection, believed to be the largest outside the USA. "The great thing about Tektronix", he said, "is their solid heritage and their passion for what they do, they have always been head and shoulders in advance of everyone else." Alan is currently building a museum to house his collection, and the 511AD will take pride of place.

In his spare time, Alan is also involved in teaching and helping students to understand the basics of engineering, he cited Tektronix primers and product manuals as leading sources of information and context to help the students.

"I'm delighted to have won the MDO4000, not just because I'm an avid fan and collector of Tektronix oscilloscopes, but also because it will help in my current job which involves streaming audio over IP, particularly when used with the Ethernet, PCI and USB.2 modules."

Mikael Näsström, Tektronix EMEA Marketing Director, presented Mr. Ainslie with his prize. He commented, "We've come a long way since the 511AD. After sixty-five years and over 700 patents, we're proud that we are still leading the market in technology, innovation and great products."

--
Dennis Tillman W7PF
TekScopes Moderator

Jim Ford

Very cool!  It's a wonder this announcement escaped the attention of this group for 5 and a half years. The last part of Mr. Naesstroem's statement is debatable, however....Jim Ford Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone

-------- Original message --------From: Dennis Tillman W7PF <@Dennis_Tillman_W7PF> Date: 9/14/19 3:43 PM (GMT-08:00) To: TekScopes@groups.io Subject: [TekScopes] From 2014: Tektronix Announces Winner of Europe’s Oldest Working Oscilloscope Contest Craig Sawyers found this announcement from 2014 by accident. It was never mentioned on TekScopes prior to today.Alan is a member of TekScopes and his prize was an MDO4000 Series Mixed Domain Oscilloscope worth €20,700. Dennis Tillman W7PF---Tektronix Announces Winner of Europe’s Oldest Working Oscilloscope ContestOldest Working Tektronix Oscilloscope, Wins the NewestBRACKNELL, UK - May 2014 - Tektronix, a leading manufacturer of oscilloscopes, announced the winner of their competition to find the oldest working oscilloscope in Europe - the winner, chosen from 240 entries, was Alan Ainslie, from Farnham in the UK, with his Model 511AD manufactured in 1951. He won an MDO4000 Series Mixed Domain Oscilloscope worth €20,700, one of the newest oscilloscopes in the Tektronix portfolio.Alan is a lifelong user and enthusiastic collector of Tektronix oscilloscopes, and currently numbers around 400 in his collection, believed to be the largest outside the USA. "The great thing about Tektronix", he said, "is their solid heritage and their passion for what they do, they have always been head and shoulders in advance of everyone else." Alan is currently building a museum to house his collection, and the 511AD will take pride of place.In his spare time, Alan is also involved in teaching and helping students to understand the basics of engineering, he cited Tektronix primers and product manuals as leading sources of information and context to help the students."I'm delighted to have won the MDO4000, not just because I'm an avid fan and collector of Tektronix oscilloscopes, but also because it will help in my current job which involves streaming audio over IP, particularly when used with the Ethernet, PCI and USB.2 modules."Mikael Näsström, Tektronix EMEA Marketing Director, presented Mr. Ainslie with his prize. He commented, "We've come a long way since the 511AD. After sixty-five years and over 700 patents, we're proud that we are still leading the market in technology, innovation and great products."-- Dennis Tillman W7PFTekScopes Moderator

Dave Daniel

Hmmm.. I have (and had back in 2014) a working 310.

As cool as an MDO would be, and not that I want a 'scope that I can't repair when (not if) it breaks, but there have to be hundreds of owners of vintage Tektronix 'scopes out there that own working 'scopes that are older than the 511 cited in the post, Europe or not.

I don't recall hearing of this "contest". It is weird that it did not come to light while it was in progress. Does anyone have any information about the the contest itself?

DaveD

On 9/14/2019 6:43 PM, Dennis Tillman W7PF wrote:
[...]

Jamie Ostrowski

Does anyone know if there are any photos of Alan Ainslie's Tek oscilloscope
collection? I read he had around 400 of them. It would be a pity if a
collection of that size were not photographed! I was unable to find
anything.

On Sat, Sep 14, 2019 at 8:37 PM Dave Daniel <kc0wjn@...> wrote:

[...]

Hi Jamie,
AFAIK Alan Ainslie is alive and well since he posted a message this past May but since he receives TekScopes in full digest form he may not be aware of this until tomorrow.

Dennis Tillman W7PF

[...]

Dave Seiter

Did the contest apply to only Tek scopes?  Sadly, my 511A and 514AD don't work (The HV assemblies (I think) on both are dead- both had puddles of melted stuff around the assembly just above the main chassis-if my memory is correct).   I cleaned them up, but never went further. I was waiting until I knew more before attempting anything.
I think my DeForrest Training scope is the oldest I have that works.  The father of some good friends built it as a young man in the midwest many years ago.
-Dave
On Saturday, September 14, 2019, 11:26:14 PM PDT, Dennis Tillman W7PF <@Dennis_Tillman_W7PF> wrote:

Chuck Harris

The 310 is close, but no cigar.

The 511 was the original Tek scope, the 511AD was a
later refined model, with a distributed vertical amplifier.

My working (?) 513D is probably older than Alan's 511AD.

I give it a ? because although I went over it completely
about 30 years ago, it has the selenium rectifiers, which
tend to turn into insulators.

According to Stan G's book:

511 last catalog 1952
511AD last catalog 1955
513 last catalog 1953
513D last catalog 1953

310 last catalog 1958
310A last catalod 1971

-Chuck Harris

Dave Daniel wrote:

Hmmm.. I have (and had back in 2014) a working 310.

As cool as an MDO would be, and not that I want a 'scope that I can't repair when
(not if) it breaks, but there have to be hundreds of owners of vintage Tektronix
'scopes out there that own working 'scopes that are older than the 511 cited in the
post, Europe or not.

I don't recall hearing of this "contest". It is weird that it did not come to light
while it was in progress. Does anyone have any information about the the contest itself?

DaveD

Dave Daniel

Yes, after perusing my copy of "Oscilloscope Development, 1943-57" by Peter D. Hiscocks, I realize that one cannot beat a 511 as the earliest 'Tektronix 'scope.

When I was much younger, I had a Dumont 'scope that was given to me by an uncle who worked for Fisher Scientific. It did not have calibrated amplifier controls, which, at age 11 or so, confused me. I do not remember the model of that 'scope and I have wondered for years how old it was.

The original 511 was made available in 1948.

DaveD

Dave Daniel wrote:
Hmmm.. I have (and had back in 2014) a working 310.

As cool as an MDO would be, and not that I want a 'scope that I can't repair when
(not if) it breaks, but there have to be hundreds of owners of vintage Tektronix
'scopes out there that own working 'scopes that are older than the 511 cited in the
post, Europe or not.

I don't recall hearing of this "contest". It is weird that it did not come to light
while it was in progress. Does anyone have any information about the the contest itself?

DaveD

Alan Ainslie

I confirm - alive and well and taking medication for collecting obession.

The Oldest Tek Scope competition seems so long ago - I did not make any fuss at the time but it was quite an event - I have a 511 which did not work and was therefore disqualified (it does now), and was rather surprised that the 511AD won the day.

I do remember at the handover of the sexy new toy that the staff had never seen a CRT scope!  I was pleased to show that a 555 with SA and signal PIs would do mixed domain, as would the 7854 with logic analyser - the staff were amazed. My jibe about no real progress fell on deaf ears.

I also confess to buying the Fiches recently.  I have not got them yet, but will see what we have and see if there is still enthusiasm in the UK to do some automated scanning.  I have The Eddystone Radio Museum and Archive, and although I did not do the work, there was a panic when  factory blueprints were not to be destroyed and were quickly microfiched.  Well after the event the fiches were scanned, but these were individual schematics rather than pages of manuals, so maybe the Tek Fiche task is a much bigger job. But I am sure that we can assemble a small group to look at the challenge and share the outcome.

Regards

Alan

Hi Alan,

Let me be the first (of many) on TekScopes to congratulate you on winning the MDO scope. I was also less than impressed by all the ballyhoo when Tek chose to make a big deal of the Mixed Domain concept as something new. I've been mixing domains with 7000 scopes for years. There are other domains the MSO can't do that they chose to ignore because it would have deflated their marketing hype.

I am appalled that the people at the event have never see a CRT scope and that they would be amazed by the things you demonstrated to them. I'm reminded that "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." You did all of us a favor by sticking it to them about the capabilities of the older laboratory scopes.

Dennis Tillman W7PF

[...]

Mlynch001

Dennis,

Well said!

--
Michael Lynch
Dardanelle, AR

John Williams

Hi Alan very pleased to meet you. Thank you for your contributions and congratulations on your win. Umm, I was wondering if you could share the name of the anti-collection medication? Thanks. John

Dave Voorhis

On 15 Sep 2019, at 23:56, John Williams <books4you@...> wrote:

Umm, I was wondering if you could share the name of the anti-collection medication?
I bet it’s called “Angry Spouse.” :-)

Even more powerful is "Angry Spouse 2.0".

On 9/15/2019 7:14 PM, Dave Voorhis wrote:
On 15 Sep 2019, at 23:56, John Williams <books4you@...> wrote:

Umm, I was wondering if you could share the name of the anti-collection medication?
I bet it’s called “Angry Spouse.” :-)

Mlynch001

Tom,

My wife found this very funny! She says that I need to go to the pharmacy and pick up a bottle or three. She says, flat out, "no 400 + scopes for you"!

Alan, Pleased to meet you and to finally learn of your collection and your winning the prize.

--
Michael Lynch
Dardanelle, AR

Dave Wise

That D suffix indicates Delay line, not Distributed amplifier. (So you could view the edge that triggered the sweep.) Tek's first distributed-amp scope was Type 517.

Dave Wise

Dave Daniel wrote:
Hmmm.. I have (and had back in 2014) a working 310.

As cool as an MDO would be, and not that I want a 'scope that I can't repair when
(not if) it breaks, but there have to be hundreds of owners of vintage Tektronix
'scopes out there that own working 'scopes that are older than the 511 cited in the
post, Europe or not.

I don't recall hearing of this "contest". It is weird that it did not come to light
while it was in progress. Does anyone have any information about the the contest itself?

DaveD

Chuck Harris

I plea guilty to my brain spontaneously emitting gas about the "D"
being for Distributed. It was, of course, an indication of the delay
line, that allowed you to see the triggering signal.

The 513D, however, announced back in 1949 had a distributed vertical
amplifier containing a host of 6CB6's. That was at least two years
before the 517 showed up in the catalogs.

-Chuck Harris

Dave Wise wrote:

That D suffix indicates Delay line, not Distributed amplifier. (So you could view the edge that triggered the sweep.) Tek's first distributed-amp scope was Type 517.

Dave Wise

Dave Wise

I'm guilty too!

Do you think the 513 was the military contract (1949-1950) that TekWiki says led to the 517, model not identified in the 517 article?

And note that the non-suffix 513 was distributed; once again, "D" signified Delay Line.

Dave

Those rows of tubes marching off to the horizon are amazing.

Dave Wise wrote:
That D suffix indicates Delay line, not Distributed amplifier. (So you could view the edge that triggered the sweep.) Tek's first distributed-amp scope was Type 517.

Dave Wise

Chuck Harris

Hi Dave,

I got my 513D in 1969 as a Christmas present from my EE
father, who worked for the Navy at the Pentagon at the time.

He had some exposure to the instrument, and picked it out
specifically.

I am abundantly aware that the D stands for delay line, as my
father went out of his way to explain, and demonstrate the
significance of that delay line back in 1969. The brain does
what the brain does.

I have no idea what the military contract was that was mentioned
in the TekWiki, only that the 513D came out well before the 517
did. The 513D was mentioned in a 1949 sales blurb, that can be
seen on the tekwiki. The "D" letter came out as an afterthought,
when tek realized they could sell a cheaper scope if they left
that part off. I doubt many got sold.

My DOD EE dad did tell me that the Navy was rather upset with
tektronix during those years because tektronix steadfastly refused
to make ruggedized versions of their scopes.

Tektronix declined the Navy's request because they felt they had
business enough without attempting to meet the Navy's demands.

Contracting engineers kept breaking Navy rules by hauling their
civy tektronix scopes on board the Navy's submarines and ships.
This long preceded the whole LaVoie thing.

Shortly after my Dad gave the present, he borrowed it to work on
a TV, and proceeded to burn out the vertical attenuator switch
and the vertical preamp. So for me the learning fun began.

-Chuck Harris

Dave Wise wrote:

I'm guilty too!

Do you think the 513 was the military contract (1949-1950) that TekWiki says led to the 517, model not identified in the 517 article?

And note that the non-suffix 513 was distributed; once again, "D" signified Delay Line.

Dave

Those rows of tubes marching off to the horizon are amazing.

Dave Wise

Closest I got was high school (Benson Polytechnic in Portland OR) in the early 70's, where one electronics classroom had a 514D in a back corner. I always felt sorry for the poor old thing, which was never touched as far as I know. Also covetous; but the teacher wouldn't give it up. It was the best instrument in the room, our assigned tools being RCA service-grade boxes.

Dave Wise