Topics

Tek 576 Curve Tracer HV Transformer winding

peter bunge

Has anyone re-wound the HV transformer in the Tek 576 Curve Tracer?
Is there a link to show the number of turns on the windings?

Bob Koller

Peter,

Yes, the Tek drawing is on the KO4bb.com site under in the Tek 576 section.
I don't know know if anyone has rewound these, but a few years ago someone had a few new transformers made, albeit with a different mechanical construction. I tested one for him and it worked fine. Mounting was tight, but usable.
Unfortunately I don't recall his name..

Mlynch001

I knew someone here could remember where that drawing was.

Thanks Bob!

--
Michael Lynch
Dardanelle, AR

peter bunge

OK I found many references to making new ones long ago. It does not sound
practical.
Does anyone have a black one for sale?

On Thu, Aug 22, 2019 at 9:46 AM peter bunge via Groups.Io <bunge.pjp=
gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:

Has anyone re-wound the HV transformer in the Tek 576 Curve Tracer?
Is there a link to show the number of turns on the windings?

Miguel Work

Tektronix 567 EHT rewinding pictures from Craig

http://snyders.site/Pages/Electronics_2016.html

Tektronix 567 EHT rewinding pictures from Craig

De: TekScopes@groups.io [mailto:TekScopes@groups.io] En nombre de Craig Sawyers Enviado el:
viernes, 23 de agosto de 2019 9:13
Para: TekScopes@groups.io

[...]

David Rawding *used* to supply replacements for the 576 transformer, who I
believe was once (and may still be) a member of the group?

HtH
David

[...]

This thread in TekScopes may help. It includes the participants and the
message numbers.
SUBJECT: Restoration of a 576 Curve Tracer (High Voltage Xfmr)
ulf_r_k 09/18/16 #131067
ykochcal 09/18/16 #131068
Dave Wise 09/18/16 #131069
drawding@... 09/19/16 #131081
ulf_r_k 09/19/16 #131083
ykochcal 09/19/16 #131085
ykochcal 09/26/16 #131247

Dennis Tillman W7PF

Sawyers Enviado el: viernes, 23 de agosto de 2019 9:13
Para: TekScopes@groups.io

[...]

TekScopes Moderator

Miguel Work

Hi, I have two 221 transformers with broken core, for stress caused by the old epoxy stress. See photos:

drawding@pacbell.net

Yes. David Rawding is still here.

: )

I bought five professionally made transformers. One was donated to Bob for his kind help. Two were used by me. Two were sold. I am all out.

Another run is ~ $1k for 5 more. Five is the minimum order. A bit pricey, I know. However, they are made by a professional transformer company. Fully enclosed and potted in silicone. If you consider what technical wages are today and overhead and materials, I would say it is fair pricing. However, at the hobby level, it is pricey.

If we can find five buyers (though this seems unlikely), I will handle the details, and will sell at my cost + shipping.

Also, as you can see from this thread several people have been successful winding their own.

One gentleman came here a year or so ago, asked a bunch of questions, got great support from the group, ended up successfully winding his own, and left. He was asked to put some details together (pictures, documentation, video, etc), but apparently could not be bothered.

I hope you find a solution.

Thanks,
Dave

Dave Voorhis

On 23 Aug 2019, at 21:28, drawding@... wrote:

One gentleman came here a year or so ago, asked a bunch of questions, got great support from the group, ended up successfully winding his own, and left. He was asked to put some details together (pictures, documentation, video, etc), but apparently could not be bothered.
Do you know for sure that he couldn’t be bothered?

Sometimes, with all the best intentions in the world, life unexpectedly and unavoidably intervenes.

Most of us aren’t exactly spring chickens any more, so sometimes death intervenes, too.

Craig Sawyers <c.sawyers@...>

More details? Who, when?

I thought I was pretty up to speed with 576 posts, but could have missed something...

Craig

One gentleman came here a year or so ago, asked a bunch of questions, got great support from the
group, ended up successfully winding his own, and left. He was asked to put some details together
(pictures, documentation, video, etc), but apparently could not be bothered.

Do you know for sure that he couldn?t be bothered?

Sometimes, with all the best intentions in the world, life unexpectedly and unavoidably intervenes.

Most of us aren?t exactly spring chickens any more, so sometimes death intervenes, too.

Tam Hanna

Hello Folks,

my wife and I might be able to chip in toward the end of the year.

We have a DAN 576 in the office, but currently cannot get to it due to overload. But toward the end of the year, we must.

Tam ( + Annette)

--
With best regards
Tam HANNA

Enjoy electronics? Join 15k7 other followers by visiting the Crazy Electronics Lab at https://www.instagram.com/tam.hanna/

peter bunge

Thanks David for your generous offer;
Where do they get the cores to make a compatible transformer that works in
the 576 circuit. This is not a 115v 60 Hz transformer.
A friend suggested a plate transformer and doublers or triplers. 225v is
also needed.
I have been looking at using a 4 kV and 225 V switching power supplies from
China and I have used some for other projects. They tend to be noisy but
can be cleaned up.
Since my 576 is still working there is no great urgency.
I also want to look at my friend's 577 and compare it to my 576. His is
smaller and lighter but may not do as much.
My 576 does weird things at lower currents (all loops) and PNP do not seem
to work the same as NPN (lack of steps) so the transformer is not the only
issue. I spent a couple of days working on it a few years ago but could not
improve it.
I need to find someone with a 576 and compare traces to see if mine is
"normal".
I need the 1500v capability which rules out some of the newer ones which
are also more expensive.
I will think about your offer.
Peter

On Fri, Aug 23, 2019 at 4:28 PM drawding@... <drawding@...>
wrote:

[...]

I have two 576, if you told me which test you need to compare, I will do it with mine. Do you know ferrite core specs? Could be changed some transformer HV turns for a voltage multiplier?

FERRITE CORE E 20 N27
Core Type : E
Core Size : E20/10/6
Core Material Grade : N27
For Use With : -
Effective Magnetic Path Length : 46.3mm
Ae Effective Cross Section Area : 32.1mm²
Inductance Factor Al : 1.3µH
Product Range : B66311 Series
SVHC : No SVHC (15-Jun-2015)
Accessory Type : Ferrite Core