Topics

How can we set up a Parts Wanted list on Groups.io

At the Seaside OR ham swap meet last Saturday one of the TekScopes members
asked if there was a way to list some Tek parts he was looking for on
TekScopes.

Of course there really isn't one at the moment but if we could set one up
what would it look like and how would it work?

If we can work out something "simple" maybe we can get Groups.io to
implement it for us.

Does anyone know how other groups handle this?

Dennis Tillman W7PF

Dave Seiter

Maybe a simple spreadsheet or multi column doc that's writable by all?  Seems to me I've seen something like that in the past in another forum/group.
-Dave

On Tuesday, June 4, 2019, 9:46:13 AM PDT, Dennis Tillman W7PF <dennis@ridesoft.com> wrote:

At the Seaside OR ham swap meet last Saturday one of the TekScopes members
asked if there was a way to list some Tek parts he was looking for on
TekScopes.

Of course there really isn't one at the moment but if we could set one up
what would it look like and how would it work?

If we can work out something "simple" maybe we can get Groups.io to
implement it for us.

Does anyone know how other groups handle this?

Dennis Tillman W7PF

Vince Vielhaber

Every group on groups.io has a database to use. Perhaps we can make use of that.

Vince.

On 06/04/2019 12:45 PM, Dennis Tillman W7PF wrote:
At the Seaside OR ham swap meet last Saturday one of the TekScopes members
asked if there was a way to list some Tek parts he was looking for on
TekScopes.

Of course there really isn't one at the moment but if we could set one up
what would it look like and how would it work?

If we can work out something "simple" maybe we can get Groups.io to
implement it for us.

Does anyone know how other groups handle this?

Dennis Tillman W7PF

ArtekManuals <manuals@...>

MY experience is they post to group with "NEED LEFT HANDED GONZO-PLATZ FOR A 800Z-SUPER SCOPE" . Lots of those in archive and has seemed to work in the past, so not sure what the problem is ????  Sounds like  "millennial thinking" is creeping into the process ?

Or as one my mentors in industry suggested when I was complaining about lack of support in the factory... "Dave ...show me where in your job description it says your job is easy ...now if you cant run with the big dogs ...stay on the porch"

Dave
NR1DX
manuals@artekmanuals.com

--
Dave
Manuals@ArtekManuals.com

David Berlind

How about a Google spreadsheet?

On June 4, 2019 12:46:12 PM "Dennis Tillman W7PF" <dennis@ridesoft.com> wrote:

At the Seaside OR ham swap meet last Saturday one of the TekScopes members
asked if there was a way to list some Tek parts he was looking for on
TekScopes.

Of course there really isn't one at the moment but if we could set one up
what would it look like and how would it work?

If we can work out something "simple" maybe we can get Groups.io to
implement it for us.

Does anyone know how other groups handle this?

Dennis Tillman W7PF

Dave Daniel

Just off of the top of my head, this would be a perfect application for a MediaWiki site (wiki framework that TekWiki uses. Why?

The main problem I see with group forum is that I think we would want individuals to be able to add available parts of wanted parts without everything having to go through a moderator. A moderator would be useful to keep the lists ummmm.... correct, not in an editorial sense but in a bottlewashing and botton sorting type of role.

A wkik allows anyonecwho is given access (and there are multiple levels of access) an easy way to edit the parts lists - and it IS easy - the markup language is straightforward.

Anyway, I used to be a semi-unwilling admin for a TekWiki site where an entire engineering team used it to create a structured and indexed set of arch and design documents for the development of a large embedded system. After a couple of weenks, the engineers were using it without much effort and it worked quite well.

DaveD

Sent from a small flat thingy

On Jun 4, 2019, at 12:45, Dennis Tillman W7PF <dennis@ridesoft.com> wrote:

At the Seaside OR ham swap meet last Saturday one of the TekScopes members
asked if there was a way to list some Tek parts he was looking for on
TekScopes.

Of course there really isn't one at the moment but if we could set one up
what would it look like and how would it work?

If we can work out something "simple" maybe we can get Groups.io to
implement it for us.

Does anyone know how other groups handle this?

Dennis Tillman W7PF

Dave Daniel

I’ve seen the replies to this thread, and have been thinking about it because it would, in my opinion, solve a problem which becomes more acute with every year that passes.

Part of my vision for this type of thing would be that it cover more than just Tektronix parts. I could use parts availabity information for Tektronix, HP, Wavetek, Fluke and Heathkit equipment, to name a few. Thus it seems that the list/Wiki/database should be associated with a structure that is superordinate to the TekScopes forum.

If groups.io can support a database and/or spreadsheet that is editable by all members, that would probably work. I would want to see a separate, new, group, though.

I still like the idea of a Wiki that may be used for parts from multiple manufacturers.