Calibration and full checkout needed - Tek 7000 series

Chris Wilkson

Hi All,

I need one, good working scope to get started on repairing the other 30 or so scopes around here. I have a multitude of Tek 7000 frames to choose from but I think the 7904 (or 7904A) is a good place to start. Once that's working + cal'ed I can at least troubleshoot and maybe repair the others.

Where can I get one professionally calibrated in the greater Detroit area? I can drive a fair distance, but I'm scared to ship. I've had two 7934's, a 7834, and a 7704A crushed in separate shipping mishaps.

Also...which plug ins are recommended to cal for building my golden scope? I have a collection...

Sean Turner

If you end up needing to ship, John Griessen should be able to provide tips. The 7904A I recently purchased from him arrived extremely well packed.

The plugin complement I bought with the 'scope is: 7A26, 7A19, 7B15 (getting ready for the 7104 I want!!), and 7B92A.

Harvey White

On Tue, 30 Apr 2019 12:47:26 -0700, you wrote:

Hi All,

I need one, good working scope to get started on repairing the other 30 or so scopes around here. I have a multitude of Tek 7000 frames to choose from but I think the 7904 (or 7904A) is a good place to start. Once that's working + cal'ed I can at least troubleshoot and maybe repair the others.

Where can I get one professionally calibrated in the greater Detroit area? I can drive a fair distance, but I'm scared to ship. I've had two 7934's, a 7834, and a 7704A crushed in separate shipping mishaps.
Can't help you there, I'm in the southeast. However...

Also...which plug ins are recommended to cal for building my golden scope? I have a collection...
The typical plugins for a 7904 (and that's a good choice, IMHO) are at
least one if not two 7A26, and a 7B92A (which I happen to like). If
you want the flexibility of two sweep plugins, the 7B80 and 7B85 will
do. If you have a 7103/4 and a 7B10 and 7B15, you could use them but
the sweep is not calibrated at the highest frequencies, but those
could be moved over to the 7103/4 when needed.

For things you'd want:

067-0587-01 signal standardizer. The 01 is intended for 500 mhz
scopes, the 00 is for lower bandwidth, and the 02 is for the 1GHz
bandwidth scopes. Needed to keep the mainframes all agreeing with
each other as well as provides some nice linearity and gain signals.
You could use the 00, but it wouldn't allow you to check out the
frequency response to the limit of the scope's bandwidth for higher
bandwidth scopes.

PG506/TG501 SG503/SG504 TM500 plugins that provide calibration
signals for vertical and timebase checking, as well as frequency
response. Those will do any scope. The signal standardizer is
specifically for 7000 series mainframes.

You could also go with a CG501 (TM500) or a CG5001 (TM5000) module
with the appropriate frame. Note that the CG series may need a
specific head to supply the right signals. Those heads may be
difficult to find.

My favorite (depending) setup in a 7904 is a 7A26 (or 7A24 if I need
more bandwidth and can tolerate a 50 ohm input plugin), a 7D12 with an
M2 (sampling) module, a 7D15 counter, and a 7B92A sweep.

Harvey

David Berlind

With four 7000 series scopes in my lab, I've been patiently waiting for
a 067-0587-00,01, or 02 signal standardizer for about a year now and I
finally grabbed one today. They've been going for pretty big money (worth
more than the scope itself) but I managed to snag it for $77 (with
shipping) off of eBay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tektronix-067-0587-01-signal-standardizer-calibration-fixture-for-7000-serie/312578936230

My one concern of course is that it works and doesn't need some form of
rehabilitation.

I will soon find out.

On Wed, May 1, 2019 at 11:13 AM Harvey White <madyn@dragonworks.info> wrote:

[...]

Richard Solomon <dickw1ksz@...>

And who calibrates the Calibrator ?

And so, on it goes ....

73, Dick, W1KSZ

wrote:

[...]

Dave Daniel

Yes, that has always been my question. I had my 2465B calibrated a few years ago by another forum member and have relied on that to provide reasonably accurate relative measurement comparisons with all of my other (uncalibrated)  'scopes, but seeing as it is all relative to the ultimate source of the standard instruments used, it's kind of a guess. I'm always reminded of the Latin phrase "Quis custodiet ipsos custodes" which means, more or less, "who guards the guards".

Re standardizers, one only needs the one that matches the bandwidth of the 'scope being calibrated. IIRC, a -01 is sufficient for all 400 MHz and 500 MHz 'scopes; the -00 is for 250 MHz 'scopes and the -02 is for, basically, the 7104. TekWiki is your friend.

$77 for a standardizer is a really good deal, assuming it works (and maybe even if it doesn't word but can be repaired).

DaveD

wrote:

[...]

nonIonizing EMF

On Wed, May 1, 2019 at 03:39 PM, Dave Daniel wrote:

the ultimate source of the standard instruments used
From what the 067-0587-02 manual states on pg.5-3 under "Notes" the use of NSB, or now day NIST, traceable standards for the frequency response as the ultimate source.

Wondering what that SRM or whatever is called is as well as is for the other test requirements and test equipment?

Is there a NIST reference that is in general someone is aware of or otherwise?

Thanks in advance.

Harvey White

On Wed, 1 May 2019 18:13:05 -0400, you wrote:

With four 7000 series scopes in my lab, I've been patiently waiting for
a 067-0587-00,01, or 02 signal standardizer for about a year now and I
finally grabbed one today. They've been going for pretty big money (worth
more than the scope itself) but I managed to snag it for $77 (with
shipping) off of eBay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tektronix-067-0587-01-signal-standardizer-calibration-fixture-for-7000-serie/312578936230

My one concern of course is that it works and doesn't need some form of
rehabilitation.

I will soon find out.

Most of mine worked. The digital circuitry, as I remember it, is
relatively simple. Just checked the listing. Looks clean from here.

Good luck.

Harvey

On Wed, 1 May 2019 15:15:59 -0700, you wrote:

And who calibrates the Calibrator ?
quis cusdodiet custiodes ipsos?

Somewhere, someplace, you need to trace it back to a standard, and
that becomes reality.

Harvey

wrote:

[...]

Tony Fleming

Since I'm new to Tektronix 2465 DMS with DMM, what "signal standardizer"
model number would I need?
Does anyone have one and what should I look for in a used unit?
Are they mostly good or is there some parts that make them less reliable?
Where do you buy your parts and who is reliable to buy from for Tektronix?
I do have Aktakom Function Signal Generator, 50MHz - 2 channels. Is that
good enough?
Thank you guys, you have helped me a lot!
Tony

On Wed, 1 May 2019 21:10:39 -0500, you wrote:

Since I'm new to Tektronix 2465 DMS with DMM, what "signal standardizer"
model number would I need?
DC voltage standard (PG506 will work, set it on DC for the DMM). works
for the scope too.

Does anyone have one and what should I look for in a used unit?
good cosmetics, good reports on the seller, and an idea of what you'd
have to replace if things were bad.

Are they mostly good or is there some parts that make them less reliable?
Ebay and local and you takes your chances....

Where do you buy your parts and who is reliable to buy from for Tektronix?
Major distributors (Mouser, Digikey, Arrow, etc) for standard parts.

Sphere and Qservice are most reliable, buying another with a different
problem is often quite useful.

I do have Aktakom Function Signal Generator, 50MHz - 2 channels. Is that
good enough?
For waveforms, maybe. (linearity).

How do you measure the voltages, and the frequencies (vertical and
horizontal calibration)?

Function generator may not be enough, depending on how serious you
want to get.

Harvey

wrote:

[...]

Thanks for a fast reply Harvey!
I'm not a professional, just a hobbyist and I love to fix anything I get my
hands on.
When I see how people dump everything, before thinking to fix it, it makes
me sick how wasteful we become.
If I could fix stuff for free I would, that is how much I love to give
anything a second, third... chance to do its work.
Helping handicapped and old/poor people brings me more joy, when I see
their eyes sparkling again!
So not for now I don't need a perfect scope, but a working one that gets me
there. My plans are to teach anyone some basic electronics and encourage
them to have a hobby.....
For now the scope does something, that is much more than when I received
it, so now I like to play and learn, since my modern scope is nothing like
2465 DMS.
But I always wanted Tek scope so I have one and it needs a checkup and or a
way to make it work well.
I found on eBay *Tektronix PG506 - * but they are mostly a PLUG-IN style.
Can I run it without a housing?
When I look over the pictures for *Tektronix PG506 *it seems to me that the
power supply is in the base unit..... but I don't know anything about it.
I have skills and even 3D printer, so I can make something to cover the
back end, where I can make a power supply connect....
I'll keep your email and start looking for a complete *Tektronix PG506, *it
can be a great addition to my tools here.
Harvey, you are great help and the rest of the guys here are also very
helpful, I'm glad to belong to Tektronix group!
You make me smile more and more!
Tony

On Wed, 1 May 2019 22:00:36 -0500, you wrote:

Thanks for a fast reply Harvey!
I'm not a professional, just a hobbyist and I love to fix anything I get my
hands on.
Well, I've been in electronics for a while, and even earned money
doing it, so I guess I qualify as a professional of sorts.

When I see how people dump everything, before thinking to fix it, it makes
me sick how wasteful we become.
Some of this stuff is not possible to repair without tools and parts
not available to most...

If I could fix stuff for free I would, that is how much I love to give
anything a second, third... chance to do its work.
Helping handicapped and old/poor people brings me more joy, when I see
their eyes sparkling again!
So not for now I don't need a perfect scope, but a working one that gets me
there. My plans are to teach anyone some basic electronics and encourage
them to have a hobby.....
A good Tektronix scope will be a joy, *if* they can appreciate it.

I once brought a 7000 series scope into a classrom with a 7CT1N (curve
tracer) plugin so I could demonstrate transistor curves.

One of the students looked at it and said "old tech".

He's right, but his view is a trifle narrow....

For now the scope does something, that is much more than when I received
it, so now I like to play and learn, since my modern scope is nothing like
2465 DMS.
likely not.

But I always wanted Tek scope so I have one and it needs a checkup and or a
way to make it work well.
Well, the basic checks are useful for functionality. IIRC, there are
some functional checks in the service manual.

You can check the sweep at least by looking at the relative numbers of
cycles going from one range to another. You won't get exact, but
you'll see if 20 us/div is about right.

Ditto for the vertical section.

I found on eBay *Tektronix PG506 - * but they are mostly a PLUG-IN style.
Can I run it without a housing?
No.

It's made to go into a TM500 style housing. It's a power supply unit
with individual (and somewhat odd) voltages available to each
plugin...

Generally comes in 1,3, 4, and 6 module sizes. The 5 unit is made to
be portable. There may be a 2 unit size, but I'm not sure.

TM 501, TM503, TM504, TM515 (portable), and TM506. The TM5000 series
is similar, somewhat larger, with the units being microprocessor based
and remote controllable.

Most of the TM500 units fit into the TM5000 frame, but no TM5000 unit
will fit into a TM500 frame.

When I look over the pictures for *Tektronix PG506 *it seems to me that the
power supply is in the base unit..... but I don't know anything about it.
You're right, that's where it is intended to go. There are some older
(perhaps tube) models of test generator, though.

Starting with say, a 20 Mhz oscillator, divide by 10, then 2 to get a
1 us period waveform. Divide by 5 then 2 to get a 2 Mhz waveform (500
ns period), divide by 2 to get a 100 ns period waveform, etc. With
the right frequencies and TTL divider chips, you can get yourself a
timing generator.

The 1-2-5 for voltage is harder, though.

I have skills and even 3D printer, so I can make something to cover the
back end, where I can make a power supply connect....
First just find the TM500 style plugin unit. Check out the TM500
series of plugins (DC 5xx, DM 5xx, PG5xx, etc. They may be a good
addition to your lab, within reason. They're not wonderful, but they
are decently made.

I'll keep your email and start looking for a complete *Tektronix PG506, *it
can be a great addition to my tools here.
Read the description first, and don't spend tons of money on it.

What you'd be getting is the amplitude part of a calibration
generator, that puts out voltages in the 1-2-5 sequence that Tektronix
uses. It's very convenient and was intended to help calibrate their
vertical plugins and vertical channels.

The more scopes you have, the more you may need this, but think about
it first. There's a lot you can do to work around not having one.

Harvey, you are great help and the rest of the guys here are also very
helpful, I'm glad to belong to Tektronix group!
It's a good group.

You make me smile more and more!
Keep asking questions. There's no perfect setup, and a number of
workarounds.

On Wed, May 1, 2019 at 04:19 PM, nonIonizing EMF wrote:

Is there a NIST reference that is in general someone is aware of or otherwise?
Looks like pg.72 of this document ( https://nvlpubs.nist.gov/nistpubs/SpecialPublications/NIST.SP.260-176-2018.pdf ) has the reference to the second question that I poorly worded.

The answer to the first question is like I was thinking since I worked on and with SRM's... for electronic devices Standard Reference Instrument's (SRI's) are used. I'll have to read through and compare what is noted in the Tektronix equipment documents.
https://www.nist.gov/sri

Seems there are older NSB standards that might be able to be made DIY homebrew since some I'd think are based on physical properties of pure chemical/elemental materials and their properties and reactions.

Does anyone know what Tektronix uses as NIST standards or NIST traceable secondary standards or even proprietary?

On Thu, May 2, 2019 at 07:03 AM, Harvey White wrote:

One of the students looked at it and said "old tech".
Old tech, same physics.

You can check the sweep at least by looking at the relative numbers of
cycles going from one range to another. You won't get exact, but
you'll see if 20 us/div is about right.
That'd be 50 ns for the 2465B e.a. With this series, the calibrator frequency "follows" the time/div. setting, catching many off guard...

There may be a 2 unit size, but I'm not sure.
Sure, the TM502A. I have two. Don't know if a non-A existed.
Empty TM50X'units have come down in price recently, at least in Europe, where I live.

With the right frequencies and TTL divider chips, you can get yourself a
timing generator.
The TG501 is another very useful module. It generates time marks in the 1-2-5 sequence down to 1 ns apart - if your 'scope can see that close. The signal is sine-like at the fastest settings. It's a very convenient standard for horizontal calibration.

Raymond

On Thu, May 2, 2019 at 04:34 AM, Harvey White wrote:

DC voltage standard (PG506 will work, set it on DC for the DMM). works
for the scope too.
- Not all PG506 modules can be set to DC. This has been discussed in this group a while ago.
- The accuracy of the (DC) voltage of a PG506 (about 0.25 % if correctly calibrated) is not good enough to adjust any DMM worth its salt. OK for getting an impression.

Raymond

Chuck Harris <cfharris@...>

Uhmmm? No.

The PG506 isn't even 1/100th of the way accurate enough
to calibrate the DMM in a 2465DMM scope. That takes a
full blown AC and DC calibration setup, with current, volts
and ohms..

-Chuck Harris

On Thu, 02 May 2019 02:57:16 -0700, you wrote:

On Thu, May 2, 2019 at 07:03 AM, Harvey White wrote:

One of the students looked at it and said "old tech".
Old tech, same physics.
Yeah, but for him, it was O....L....D....

You can check the sweep at least by looking at the relative numbers of
cycles going from one range to another. You won't get exact, but
you'll see if 20 us/div is about right.
That'd be 50 ns for the 2465B e.a. With this series, the calibrator frequency "follows" the time/div. setting, catching many off guard...

There may be a 2 unit size, but I'm not sure.
Sure, the TM502A. I have two. Don't know if a non-A existed.
Empty TM50X'units have come down in price recently, at least in Europe, where I live.

With the right frequencies and TTL divider chips, you can get yourself a
timing generator.
The TG501 is another very useful module. It generates time marks in the 1-2-5 sequence down to 1 ns apart - if your 'scope can see that close. The signal is sine-like at the fastest settings. It's a very convenient standard for horizontal calibration.
A note on the TG501. The timing pulses are *so* narrow that you may
not be able to see them on slower plugins, even though the rep rate is
valid for the horizontal sweep. That's where a 7A19 or 7A29
(preferred) would come in, or a 7A24 (dual channel).

The 1,2,5 ns pulses are on a different output connector from a
different circuit, and look more like sine waves (since a good square
wave at 1 ns would involve a response to 10 Ghz....

So for calibrating scopes, or at least, checking them out thoroughly,
you'd want the TG501, the PG506, and the SG504 (higher frequencies)
and perhaps the SG503 (for lower frequencies). The SG50x are constant
amplitude frequency generators over their range, and useful for
bandwidth calculations and attenuator adjustment.

Always a workaround, but not always a good one.

The input standardizer is, again, only for a 7000 series scope frame.

Harvey

Raymond

Harvey White

On Thu, 02 May 2019 03:07:37 -0700, you wrote:

On Thu, May 2, 2019 at 04:34 AM, Harvey White wrote:

DC voltage standard (PG506 will work, set it on DC for the DMM). works
for the scope too.
- Not all PG506 modules can be set to DC. This has been discussed in this group a while ago.
- The accuracy of the (DC) voltage of a PG506 (about 0.25 % if correctly calibrated) is not good enough to adjust any DMM worth its salt. OK for getting an impression.
I think the ones I have can be, but I've got other voltage
calibrators. Scope measurements are good to about 1% because of the
visual nature of the readout.

Impressions can be good, though...

Nobody as asked about DMM calibration yet...

Harvey

Raymond

Chuck Harris <cfharris@...>

Sorry, no PG506 of any flavor, design or
incantation is suitable for calibrating a
DMM like is in the 2465 family scopes.

Read the manual.

-Chuck Harris