Topics

Pacific Measurements or Wavetek 1038 System

nonIonizing EMF

Hi all,

Interestingly, after acquiring the Pacific Measurements 1038 system, I found the Tekwiki had a reference regarding using the D10 and D11 mainframes.

I noticed the D14 which I had wasn't noted as being Tektronix and found the reference tekwiki page I found that alluded to wondering like me and others... what happened to the 5114 - D14 and what is the story behind?

Was this item developed by Tektronix or a team from and sold to Pacific Measurements?

Does anyone know the story behind the development?

I finally also got around to updating the wiki yesterday:
http://w140.com/tekwiki/wiki/Pacific_Measurements_1038

I'm still looking for more documentation regarding specifically the N10, NS20, NS201 and any other items not noted on the wiki (K13, V20, C10, etc.).

I did manage to find copies of the Instruction Manuals and/or Operation and Service Manuals for the D14, D14A, H10-13, V10-12 and will scan those with the new Brother MFC-9970CDW Color Laser All-in-One with Wireless Networking and Duplex that was given to me free a few days ago when I was up in Traverse City which has made scanning the first document I had (the Wavetek 6000 Computer for NS20) with a bunch of pages and double sided a breeze. I would also like a copy of the Wavetek 6000 Computer for NS20 application since the document doesn't list all the code if that is available.

I was thinking also adding diode information too for the detectors in at least a datasheet document if I can find.

I am also looking for any documentation related to the EDX-1 Electromyograph. If you have anything scanned or know of a reference. Please reply.

Also, feel free to reply with any question, comments and/or suggestions.

Kindest Regards

Hi,
The 5000 series mainframes were, in part, designed to be low cost products. As such they were very attractive to other manufacturers as the display portion of the product they developed. Often, Tek would have provided a way to OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturing) products like this to other companies at a substantial discount provided they were purchased in quantity. In these cases the company would or could private label them with their own logo. This is a common practice in the electronics industry.

Dennis Tillman W7PF

--
Dennis Tillman W7PF
TekScopes Moderator

nonIonizing EMF

Hi Dennis,

Thanks for the feedback.

Any ideas regarding the 5114 - D14 mainframe; why that number was skipped or who'd be the designers or subject matter expert(s) regarding that line of equipment?

Thanks again!

Hans Boon

Hello,

I have a 1038-D14 and 1038-N10 combination, with 3 matching powersensors.

Also have the operating and service manual for the D14A and N10 (already scanned), please indicate how to transfer these files to you.

The major problem I have is the bad pushbutton switches on the N10, which prevent me from operating the units. I already unsoldered the switches, but I am still not able to control the N10 / D14 combination from the GPIB interface. Seems I would have to use the switches to put the N10 to remote contol mode.

Any help on these problems is welcome.

Regards, 73,

Hans, pa2hbn

1038-N10 Switches

The switches on the N10 are a huge problem because the footprint and shaft do not match anything else.
I was able to buy one box of replacement switches from Gigatronics (they inherited the line from Wavetek)
several years ago, but I do not know if any spares still remain there.  only a contact to the service
department will reveal that. I do have a bunch of the black buttons left from the switches if any
use to anyone to try and make a replacement, and one switch to serve as a model.

I think the only fix is to make a tiny adaptor board to fit a more common tact switch to the wide 2 pin
format, and try and find a switch shaft that can mate to the X-cross-section inside the buttons. It's
possible that glue is the only answer to button attachment, which makes the whole process much
clumsier to carry out.

best regards,
walter

--
Walter Shawlee 2
Sphere Research Corp. 3394 Sunnyside Rd.

nonIonizing EMF

Great timing Walter.

I replied to Hans off list and even mentioned you had commented regarding the switches.

I was wondering also if Gigatronics had inherited Wavetek since I read somewhere else regarding I think with the signal generators in a thread.

I was also wondering if some of the line went to Wandel & Goltermann and then to Fluke per this EEVblog comment ( https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/tektronix-5000-series-(1970-1990-era)-shenanigans/msg1264368/#msg1264368 ) that clearly shows a Tektronix mainframe with the 1038 system:
"Meet the Pacific Measurements (later gobbled up by Wavetek, later gobbled up by Wandel & Goltermann, later gobbled up by Fluke) 1038 system, in this case configured as a dual port network analyzer."

Especially the background history and connection to other manufacturers systems and Tektronix. Seems fitting timing to expose also especially with the recent passing of Rex Garrod more well known from the "Secret Life of Machines" TV series. Looking forward to more information regarding the 5114-D14? or any other "connections."

Thanks in advance!

Hi,

Wiltron also made a Scalar Network Analyzer (Model 640) and they used the entire Tek 5000 series mainframe for it. It looks like they used plugin chassis parts from Tek and put their own electronics in each of the 3 slots. These Wiltron 640 instruments are quite common so many of them were made using a Tek chassis.

The big advantage of buying an already designed scope display, power supply, chassis, and plugin board mechanical parts, is that Wiltron can concentrate on designing the electronics. They do not need a team of mechanical engineers or a mechanical fabrication machine shop and the considerable overhead of all these machines and staff.

Dennis Tillman W7PF

[...]

John Kolb

On 4/23/2019 10:30 AM, nonIonizing EMF wrote:

I was wondering also if Gigatronics had inherited Wavetek since I read somewhere else regarding I think with the signal generators in a thread.
I was also wondering if some of the line went to Wandel & Goltermann and then to Fluke per this EEVblog comment ( https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/tektronix-5000-series-(1970-1990-era)-shenanigans/msg1264368/#msg1264368 ) that clearly shows a Tektronix mainframe with the 1038 system:
"Meet the Pacific Measurements (later gobbled up by Wavetek, later gobbled up by Wandel & Goltermann, later gobbled up by Fluke) 1038 system, in this case configured as a dual port network analyzer."

Hans Boon

Hello Walter,

I removed all pushbutton switches from the frontpanel board. I measured them and all are in an open state. I expected some to be stuck in the closed state, which would explain the not properly starting of the N10. Measuring the resistance of the switches when pussed show major variance in resistance value in the on-state. Seems enough to prevent proper switching.

Unfortunately the previous owner of the instrumen had taken apart 2 of the switches.

I hope to be able to control the instrument from the interfacebus whithout using the frontpanel switches.

Do you know if the instument can be set to remote mode using the interface only or is it required to switch to remote mode using the front keyboard?

I tested the instrument stand-alone, without a sweepgenerator attached to the sweep-input. Could that be the problem?

I am also looking for control software for this instrument (prefer HP-basic or HT-basic), so I don't have to start all-over to write a control program.

Hope we get some interresting discussions on this instrument in this group.

Regards,

Hans Boon

Karl Ireland <rf-guy@...>

I restored a Wavetek 1038-NS20 to fully working condition.
It is using these modules: 1038-NS20, D14, NS206, and one labled "calibrator output" and "ext ref input".

When I bought it on eBay, I found out that ALL the push-buttons had degraded over time
where they didn't snap in/out when pressed, most of them were permanently pushed in
which locked up the instrument!

I had to remove the 1038-NS20 module from the frame,
disassemble the 1038-NS20 module,
unsolder all the pushbutton switches,
cut open all the switches,
remove the guts,
put each one on my milling machine & machine the internal area larger,
install a new tiny pushbutton switch inside the original switch body and solder the connections,
epoxy it in place,
close-up the switch with the original engraved push-button re-installed.
solder the switches back into the PCB,
re-install the PCB into the 1038-NS20 module,
plug the module back into the frame & power it up for a test.
All the buttons worked! This took an entire weekend to do!

stevenhorii

Karl,

Now THAT is what I call very serious restoration work! Nice going!

Steve H.