Topics

Repairability of SD-24, SD-30 & SD-32 sampling heads

Jim Ford

Hmmm...  Did he die-bond, wire-bond, and package the FPGA or just solder it onto the board?  Not so impressive if it's the latter.  Still, the link to the website shows microwave devices being bonded in hybrid packages to repair mixers in spectrum analyzers - now that's impressive!Jim FordSent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone

-------- Original message --------From: Craig Sawyers <c.sawyers@...> Date: 3/25/19 5:07 PM (GMT-08:00) To: TekScopes@groups.io Subject: Re: [TekScopes] Repairability of SD-24, SD-30 & SD-32 sampling heads He clearly knows what he is doing. You don't knock up something with an Altera FPGA unless you have a major development lab at your disposal https://www.qsl.net/ct1dmk/gw_04.jpgCraig> -----Original Message-----> From: TekScopes@groups.io [mailto:TekScopes@groups.io] On Behalf Of Jose Luu> Sent: 25 March 2019 23:29> To: TekScopes@groups.io> Subject: Re: [TekScopes] Repairability of SD-24, SD-30 & SD-32 sampling heads>> https://www.qsl.net/ct1dmk/wbond_ex.html>> This guy seem to have made a home hybrid lab and repairs. Could former professionals comment ?>> Best> Jose>>> On Mon, Mar 25, 2019 at 9:30 PM Bob Koller via Groups.Io <testtech= yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:>> > How well I know. My last job in the hybrid business was at Teledyne> > Microelectronics. Space Qual parts had reams of paperwork, x-rays,> > PIND test,photographs, etc...> > Tek, Keysight, and many other still , out of necessity, use hybrid> > technology with custom parts, in the front ends, and other places, of> > very high frequency instruments. But, commercial hybrid production> > has, I think, largely been supplanted by ASIC, FPGA, and more modern,> > more reliable, less expensive technology.> >> >> >> >>>

Egge Siert

Hi Reginald,

It is in the archives:

https://groups.io/g/TekScopes/topic/7659008#141241

Enjoy.

Egge Siert

Dave Brown

Far as I know he still works at a university in Portugal -he's been there for some years and is well known in scientific and amateur (especially EME) circles.
73
Dave, ZL3FJ

Yes, Luis has done great work! He is in South America I think. Ascertaining and sourcing the correct parts can be difficult.

Craig Sawyers

[...]

Bob Koller

Yes, Luis has done great work! He is in South America I think. Ascertaining and sourcing the correct parts can be difficult.

Jose Luu

yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

[...]

hybrids are bit of thing of the past.
I was a hybrid microcircuit manufacturing engineer in a past life.
Not in the space industry. Hermetically sealed thin film hybrids are still the only way frequently.
Not cheap for space qualified parts though ;-)

Craig

Reginald Beardsley

I rather feared that was the case. So "For parts" units are a significant gamble. I was very lucky that the two SD-22s I got for $150 delivered both turned out to be good. That seller mostly dealt in electrical power parts, boxes, breakers, etc.

And one never knows if the claim "untested" is true or not. It's very easy for someone to have two eBay accounts. One selling tested kit and the other selling "untested" which are actually known to be unrepairable and for which they have a "no returns" policy.

I have verified that the NVRAM does *not* store the last instrument settings and it does not store the RTC values. But what they store is still a mystery.

I'll summarize my adventures once I replace the NVRAM.

To: TekScopes@groups.io
Date: Monday, March 25, 2019, 10:07 AM

These are thin film hybrid
microcircuit assemblies. Easy enough to repair IF you have a
well equipped hybrid lab and access to the right chips.
Figuring out the correct parts, and then finding the die,
could be a major problem, as hybrids are bit of thing of the
past.
I was a hybrid microcircuit
manufacturing engineer in a past life.

Bob Koller

These are thin film hybrid microcircuit assemblies. Easy enough to repair IF you have a well equipped hybrid lab and access to the right chips. Figuring out the correct parts, and then finding the die, could be a major problem, as hybrids are bit of thing of the past.
I was a hybrid microcircuit manufacturing engineer in a past life.

Reginald Beardsley

Has anyone attempted to repair one? If so, what was the outcome? I'm familiar with the EPROM failure repair. I'm really asking about the input and output sections as they are ESD sensitive.

Are suitable parts available? I realize that there are no schematics or other information.

Have Fun!
Reg