TEST MESAGE. "Fw: You have been removed from TekScopes@groups.io"

Daniel Koller

Hi Folks,
    This is a test for me to make sure I am re-subscribed, and a warning to others to be careful.
    I use Yahoo mail to read my tekscopes group messages (perhaps I should not use Yahoo Mail).  This morning I *accidentally* clicked on a message and reported it as spam, then immediately restored it to my inbox realizing it was the wrong one.  It seems groups.io is on a hair trigger because it sent me the message below.  This must be a new setting because...
...I have accidentally reported messages from Tekscopes as spam before, and this has not happened, and some Tekscopes messages regularly end up in my spam folder anyway, and I have to check there from time to time.   So, wonder if Yahoo is now reporting when you move a message to spam, or groups.io is now recording when yahoo sends such a report.
   Either way, heads up to everyone that the system is sensitive!
  Dennis, is there a way to set up the groups.io system so that it takes 3 or so reports of spam before groups.io unsubscribes a user?  Thanks,
  Dan

----- Forwarded Message ----- From: TekScopes@groups.io <TekScopes+owner@groups.io>To: "kaboomdk@yahoo.com" <kaboomdk@yahoo.com>Sent: Wednesday, March 6, 2019, 10:23:58 AM ESTSubject: You have been removed from TekScopes@groups.io
Hello,
Because your Email Service Provider reported to us that one or more messages sent to you from TekScopes@groups.io has been marked as spam you have been automatically removed from the group. We suggest that you check your spam box as soon as possible to see if your Email Service Provider has diverted legitimate messages into it.

You will receive no more emails from that group. If this was a mistake, you can resume your subscription within the next 7 days by clicking the following link:

Resume Subscription

Groups.io groups offer several options for controlling how much and what types of emails to receive. See this Help Center article for more information.

If this happens repeatedly please check with your email service to learn about how they decide to send feedback reports to list services (such as Groups.io groups).

Cheers,
The Groups.io Team

Brendan

This happened to me a week or so ago. Like you I accidentally marked a message as spam in yahoo mail.

On Wed, Mar 6, 2019 at 11:08 AM, Daniel Koller wrote:

[...]

David Kuhn

Daniel, I recommend GMAIL. It automatically sorts this forum in to a
"forums" TAB.

Dave

On Wed, Mar 6, 2019 at 1:09 PM Daniel Koller via Groups.Io <kaboomdk=
yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

[...]

Kyle Rhodes

Agreed Dave. I was surprised to see so many people still use Thunderbird, Eudora, and the like, complaining of attachments, etc.

I’ve been on Gmail since it was launched and I’ve never looked back. It also automagically threads conversations so there aren’t any concerns of who said what with the various complaints I see of people not quoting replies properly....

My $0.02 — everyone should at least try it.

yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

[...]

Dave Seiter

This has happened to me about eight or nine times. Not a big deal.

On Mar 6, 2019, at 10:27 AM, Brendan via Groups.Io <the_infinite_penguin=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

[...]

Mark Wendt

On 3/6/19 21:43, Kyle Rhodes wrote:
Agreed Dave. I was surprised to see so many people still use Thunderbird, Eudora, and the like, complaining of attachments, etc.

I’ve been on Gmail since it was launched and I’ve never looked back. It also automagically threads conversations so there aren’t any concerns of who said what with the various complaints I see of people not quoting replies properly....

My $0.02 — everyone should at least try it.

Thunderbird will also thread conversations as this one was threaded.  It's not because of the email reader that complaints from the attachments arose.  The problem is the same whether an email reader or the webmail portal is used.  The attachments are downloaded whether or not you use an email client or the web portal.  For folks with limited data plans that's what causes the problems.  I'm on a limited data plan as are a number of others. I may not be interested in a topic, yet I still have to download those images which I have no desire to see.  The same would happen if I viewed my email in the web portal.

Upload the images to our groups.io pictures section and the I have the choice of whether I want to view those photos or not.

I've tried the web portal and dislike it.  It's not available if I lose my connection, which can happen quite often in this northern rural area when storms and snow hit us.  With the email client I store and save all the emails locally so they are available even if I'm offline.

Mark

Adrian

Hi Kyle, is the 'Gmail' you are refer to the Google email service?

If so, I didn't think it's offers a stand-alone email client like Thunderbird, Eudora etc so no use for anyone who needs a client for their own email or am I missing something here?

Adrian

On 3/7/2019 2:43 AM, Kyle Rhodes wrote:
Agreed Dave. I was surprised to see so many people still use Thunderbird, Eudora, and the like, complaining of attachments, etc.

I’ve been on Gmail since it was launched and I’ve never looked back. It also automagically threads conversations so there aren’t any concerns of who said what with the various complaints I see of people not quoting replies properly....

Kyle Rhodes

Hi Adrian,

Right -- Gmail, aka Google mail. It's web based, so one doesn't need a
stand-alone client.

For those who have connection issues (slow / intermittent) there are two
additional options -- it allows for a simplified view that works better for
slow connections. It also has a Chrome extension called Gmail Offline that
works like a stand-alone client in that it will queue email compositions
and sync send/receive tasks once online. I personally use this when I'm
traveling abroad and have limited internet access.

It will not work with an old email address, so one must migrate that, which
is perhaps what you're primarily asking about? In my case, I simply
forward old email accounts to my Gmail address, and and I can easily
auto-label emails sent to these other accounts, and even reply as if I'm
replying from these accounts. I also have several domain email addresses
aliased to my Gmail for my businesses.

In the background, Gmail has quite a sophisticated number of settings and
it works very well -- for me anyway.

Thanks,
Kyle

--
KSR Amps / Rhodes Amplification, LLC
Kyle Rhodes

On Thu, Mar 7, 2019 at 6:14 AM Adrian <Adrian@nicol1.org.uk> wrote:

[...]

Hey Kyle,

I've been looking for that extension and can not find it. Any details on
how to get it? It sounds like a great idea.

Dave

On Thu, Mar 7, 2019 at 6:25 AM Kyle Rhodes <ksrhodes@gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

Hi Dave,

Here's a link -- let me know if it doesn't work for you:
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/gmail-offline/ejidjjhkpiempkbhmpbfngldlkglhimk?hl=en

Thanks,
Kyle

--

On Thu, Mar 7, 2019 at 6:55 AM David Kuhn <Daveyk021@gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

Carsten Bormann

The list admin has asked us not to discuss the issue while he looks at the solution.

Unfortunately, there are lot of myths here that may have been true in 1998 but no longer are, and they form the basis of a persistent argument that, by 2019, is now just wrong.

I’ve been on Gmail since it was launched and I’ve never looked back. It also automagically threads conversations so there aren’t any concerns of who said what with the various complaints I see of people not quoting replies properly….
This confuses gmail the mail service with gmail the interactive mail access tool.
Gmail the mail service is very good apart from privacy concerns. There are few privacy concerns with open lists like this, so gmail is just great for a tekscope subscription.

You can use gmail the interactive mail access tool with this, or use a separate mail reader program. By now, both offer offline mail access capabilities.

The attachments are downloaded whether or not you use an email client or the web portal.
This is simply not true.

There are a number of ways you can control what is downloaded.

groups.io has a control that you can set for a specific mailing list:

Go to https://groups.io/g/TekScopes/editsub
Open “Advanced Preferences”. Configure “Max Attachment Size”.

Mail readers usually also have a control for whether the attachments that are offered are downloaded automatically or manually. The way to do this differs between mail readers, usually a couple of clicks or so.
(Apple Mail: CMD-comma, Accounts, (select account), Account Information, Download Attachments.)

For folks with limited data plans that's what causes the problems. I'm on a limited data plan as are a number of others. I may not be interested in a topic, yet I still have to download those images which I have no desire to see.
As I said, this is not factual.

Upload the images to our groups.io pictures section and the I have the choice of whether I want to view those photos or not.
For images that make good named reference galleries: Please do.

For the odd picture that accompanies a “does this look right” message, this is not the right way to do this; you cause the accretion of hard to find information. Mail already supports attachments. The link between the attachments and the message does not get lost.

I’ve tried the web portal and dislike it.
That is your right (I happen to hate “Web Forum” style interfaces, too).

It’s not available if I lose my connection,
Not true, as indicated above.

which can happen quite often in this northern rural area when storms and snow hit us.
Definitely true in many parts of the world, in particular those that actually have enough space to keep Tek Scopes around :-)

With the email client I store and save all the emails locally so they are available even if I’m offline.
Exactly, and that also applies, optionally (automatically or manually), to the attachments.

I’m sorry for not quite following your policy, Dennis. This will be the one message correcting the outdated information for this week. Everyone: please don’t discuss this further until Dennis has found out more about this (which I hope this message facilitates).

Grüße, Carsten

Dale H. Cook

At 09:43 PM 3/6/2019, Kyle Rhodes wrote:

I was surprised to see so many people still use Thunderbird, Eudora, and the like, complaining of attachments, etc.
For some people webmail is not a viable option because of the number of accounts that they have to handle from several email servers. If I had to do webmail for all of my accounts and servers that would occupy far too much time. I also need local storage for some of those accounts.

As for attachments, that is another matter entirely, unrelated to webmail vs. a client.

Dale H. Cook, GR/HP/Tek Collector, Roanoke/Lynchburg, VA
https://plymouthcolony.net/starcity/radios/index.html

ArtekManuals <manuals@...>

Exactly

As Dale says we have multiple accounts (personal + Business) and frankly and using the group web interface directly takes MUCH more time. Also I have years worth of history across multiple emails that are can all be catalogued and stored by topic rather than email address
One stop going back 10+ years.

Dave

On 3/7/2019 8:10 AM, Dale H. Cook wrote:
At 09:43 PM 3/6/2019, Kyle Rhodes wrote:

I was surprised to see so many people still use Thunderbird, Eudora, and the like, complaining of attachments, etc.
For some people webmail is not a viable option because of the number of accounts that they have to handle from several email servers. If I had to do webmail for all of my accounts and servers that would occupy far too much time. I also need local storage for some of those accounts.

As for attachments, that is another matter entirely, unrelated to webmail vs. a client.

Dale H. Cook, GR/HP/Tek Collector, Roanoke/Lynchburg, VA
https://plymouthcolony.net/starcity/radios/index.html

--
Dave
Manuals@ArtekManuals.com
www.ArtekManuals.com

Dale H. Cook

At 08:26 AM 3/7/2019, Dave wrote:

Also I have years worth of history across multiple emails that are can all be catalogued and stored by topic rather than email address. One stop going back 10+ years.
Same here but mine is close to 20 years. I have the client on both the desktop and the laptop and synchronize them, so I have those emails, and access to download new emails, whenever and wherever I am. That also gives me field access to over a terabyte of files that I may need in the field for vocation or avocation.

Dale H. Cook, GR/HP/Tek Collector, Roanoke/Lynchburg, VA
https://plymouthcolony.net/starcity/radios/index.html

fiftythreebuick <ae5i@...>

Mark, I totally agree with you. I like a real email client way way better than any webmail interface. As you said, your email disappears when the connection to the webmail server is lost.

I use Thunderbird and I've been totally happy with it for quite a long time. It handles all of the diverse email accounts that I have with no problem and is quite configurable.

Different strokes for different folks.... :-)

Tom

Mark Wendt wrote:
2:51am #155077

[...]

Geoffrey Thomas

I use T-Bird too and very happy with it, and as I write it's just popped up saying there's an update. For those on G-mail this article is about chrome extensions for it :

http://www.techsupportalert.com/content/improve-gmail-these-chrome-extensions.htm?

For those on limited data, use mailwasher to preview emails in plaintext to see if you're interested and if not delete them on the server.

Geoff.

On 07/03/2019 17:04, fiftythreebuick wrote:
Mark, I totally agree with you. I like a real email client way way better than any webmail interface. As you said, your email disappears when the connection to the webmail server is lost.
I use Thunderbird and I've been totally happy with it for quite a long time. It handles all of the diverse email accounts that I have with no problem and is quite configurable.
Different strokes for different folks.... :-)
Tom
Mark Wendt wrote:
2:51am #155077
[...]

tekscopegroup@...

Anybody at this point still using yahoo mail must not really care much for security and safety. Yahoo mail, really, after all the HUGE and highly publicized repeated security leaks they had not too long ago? Your account is probably compromised already, so please do yourself a favor and get something else, -anything- will be better and safer. Gmail comes to mind. And any other accounts also tied to your Yahoo mail in any way (2FA, fallback, etc) will also be at risk if not already silently compromised and crooks just waiting to act for anything worthwhile to swim by. Really, you need to update now-now.

Brendan

Everyone has their own idea of safety. IMO sending emails with personal information using Gmail owned by the biggest snoops in the world using Windows with known backdoors on routers with know flaws is 100% more dangerous than using Yahoo as a place to read Tek mailing list posts. I highly doubt anyone here is using Yahoo for top secret information... Unless Hillary Clinton belongs to this group.

Brendan