152-0310-00 replacement

SR77

Hello everyone. I’m new to electronics. I’m fascinated and overwhelmed with the subject and hoping that I can fit all this information in my brain! I always wanted a Tek scope and I bought a 454 that seems to run ok with nothing more than a quick signal generator test. I’d love to preserve this for as long as possible and restore it but I have a new fear of eventually replacing a tunnel diode. The manual says “part #152-0310-00 similar to 1N3758.” NTE claims that the NTE5804 is a replacement for the 1N3758. Is it? Will it work? If that’s my only option, what would be different? Thanks in advance for any help offered.

David DiGiacomo

On Mon, Mar 4, 2019 at 6:13 PM Sal_rosselli via Groups.Io
<Sal_rosselli=yahoo.ca@groups.io> wrote:

Hello everyone. I’m new to electronics. I’m fascinated and overwhelmed with the subject and hoping that I can fit all this information in my brain! I always wanted a Tek scope and I bought a 454 that seems to run ok with nothing more than a quick signal generator test. I’d love to preserve this for as long as possible and restore it but I have a new fear of eventually replacing a tunnel diode. The manual says “part #152-0310-00 similar to 1N3758.” NTE claims that the NTE5804 is a replacement for the 1N3758. Is it? Will it work? If that’s my only option, what would be different? Thanks in advance for any help offered.
That is not a high failure rate part. I wouldn't worry about it.

Fred Schumacher

As a owner of a 454, and having the B timebase not working, I am doing measurements around the tunneldiode you mentioned. Before taking out this diode to measure its proper functioning, I havo to be sure this diode is the culprit of my problem.
The service manual of this oscilliscope mention the 1N3758 as a replacement for this diode. But this is wrong. This diode is an ordinary diode and not a tunneldiode. This should be the 1N3717.
But there is a catch. The capacitance is less than 20 pF. The originel is around 7 pF.
Also the original us a pallet stuck between two winglets, and bent sideways. The replacement has two connecting wires.
The original tunneldiode is very hard to find and if very expensive when available.
So be sure the tunneldiode is wrong before attemting to replace it.
In a 454 are 4 of these tunneldiodes employed. So a scrap scope is cheaper.
Good luck.

On 3 mrt. 2019, at 16:45, Sal_rosselli via Groups.Io <Sal_rosselli=yahoo.ca@groups.io> wrote:

Hello everyone. I’m new to electronics. I’m fascinated and overwhelmed with the subject and hoping that I can fit all this information in my brain! I always wanted a Tek scope and I bought a 454 that seems to run ok with nothing more than a quick signal generator test. I’d love to preserve this for as long as possible and restore it but I have a new fear of eventually replacing a tunnel diode. The manual says “part #152-0310-00 similar to 1N3758.” NTE claims that the NTE5804 is a replacement for the 1N3758. Is it? Will it work? If that’s my only option, what would be different? Thanks in advance for any help offered.

Roger Evans

Later serial number 454s had tunnel diodes which were the small gold can with a flange for polarity and gold plated leads (similar to 1N3716). I have one 454 with these (original) diodes and one which had the stripline mounted tunnel diodes but all four had failed and were replaced with a mixture of 1N3716 and the Russion 4.7mA tunnel diodes off eBay. I have not tested whether the replacement tunnel diodes meet the original spec but the fixed scope works fine for 'normal' use.

Roger

Michael A. Terrell

1N3758 is not a tunnel diode. It is a rectifier that the NTE NTE5804will
replace The NTE part is:
Axial Lead Standard Recovery Silicon Rectifiers, 3 Amp, 400V, DO27

The 1N3758appears to be a 400V, 1A part.

On Tue, Mar 5, 2019 at 12:24 PM Roger Evans via Groups.Io <very_fuzzy_logic=
yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Later serial number 454s had tunnel diodes which were the small gold can
with a flange for polarity and gold plated leads (similar to 1N3716). I
have one 454 with these (original) diodes and one which had the stripline
mounted tunnel diodes but all four had failed and were replaced with a
mixture of 1N3716 and the Russion 4.7mA tunnel diodes off eBay. I have not
tested whether the replacement tunnel diodes meet the original spec but the
fixed scope works fine for 'normal' use.

Roger

SR77

I opened up the scope and the parts in question are small and completely gold in colour with two leads also gold in colour. I’m not sure if I got all the writing but I managed to see “0310GE” written on them. So, which ones do I have in my scope?

(I had tried to post this the other day but it doesn’t seem to have made through. I apologize if it eventually does!)

Albert Otten

Well, apparently these are the 151-0130-00 diodes in DO-17 package, same diodes as all 4 in my 454. These are soldered and I suspect deliberately with the number down since I also could read part of the number in one case only. I have seen the clip-type packages for instance in 3T77(A) plugins. Much later 454s used TD-3A (1N3717) DO-17 diodes but only in the sweep circuits.
Albert