Topics

Tek 4041 GPIB Controller

Tony Fleming

Thanks again!
My Tektronix DMM 2465 - 300 Mhz, 4 channels doesn't have a printer and or a
tape drive.
Can I somehow use my equipment with a PC that would let me see stuff that
can be printed on a PC or can I use a PC as one of the input/output options
with a terminal interface?
Thanks Monty!
Tony

On Sun, Jun 7, 2020 at 3:39 PM Monty McGraw <mmcgraw74@...> wrote:

I fixed my 4041 thermal printer too!

Steps to fix with photos posted at
http://www.vcfed.org/forum/showthread.php?75463-Tektronix-4041-Thermal-Printer-repair-may-also-work-on-AIM-65-thermal-printer&p=624390#post624390

I show how to get to the printer and clean the old grease off the timing
wheel and timing contacts and regrease with Super Lube or other silicone
dielectric grease.

Monty McGraw

I fixed my 4041 thermal printer too!

Steps to fix with photos posted at http://www.vcfed.org/forum/showthread.php?75463-Tektronix-4041-Thermal-Printer-repair-may-also-work-on-AIM-65-thermal-printer&p=624390#post624390

I show how to get to the printer and clean the old grease off the timing wheel and timing contacts and regrease with Super Lube or other silicone dielectric grease.

Monty McGraw

I have edited the System Verification tape AUTOLD file to add a choice to change the console to COMM0.

I added the lines between 300 and 310:

300 Goback: ! 302 Input prompt "CONSOLE TO COMM(1-YES,0-NO)?":in$ 303 If in$<>"0" and in$<>"1" then goto goback 304 If in$="0" then goto goterm 305 Set driver "COMM0(BAUD=9600,FLA=BID,EDIT=STORAGE):" 306 Print "CONSOLE >> COMM0" 307 Set console "COMM0(ECHO=YES):" 308 Goto end_prg 309 Goterm: ! 310 Input prompt "TERMINAL CONFIG(1-YES,0-NO)?":in$ 320 If in$<>"0" and in$<>"1" then goto goterm 330 If in$="0" then load "sysver" else load "termin" 340 End_prg: ! 350 End

Just one prompt is added to the flow of running the System Verification tape:

CONSOLE TO COMM(1-YES,0-NO)?0 Answer 1 to immediately change to COMM0 with the parameters in lines 305 and 307 above, and the AUTOLD program ENDs with the console change to COMM0. Edit those parameters to your needs.

TERMINAL CONFIG(1-YES,0-NO)?0 If you answered 0, this is the original System Verification tape message. Answer 0 to bypass running Terminal Config

SYSVER V2.8 (V2.1 ) If you answered 0 to Terminal Config - this message is displayed and you have 3 seconds to press the front panel ABORT key, otherwise all basic tests will run automatically

COMMAND(99=HELP)? 3 If you ABORT during the SYSVER message, you get to select any individual test to run. 3 is the PRINTER TEST

PRINTER TEST PRINTER TEST EXIT

COMMAND(99=HELP)? 0 Select 0 to exit the System Verification program VERIFICATION EXIT

I found that my AUTOLD changes were too big to fit in the original tape filespace, so I reformatted and rewrote all the files with the new AUTOLD program. Much better than creating a separate tape just to change the console.

I also edited all the System Verification Text files on github to remove the linefeeds (which cause an extra line feed from the 4041 when you are SENDING a file from the PC), and remove extraneous "*" which are serial console prompts from the 4041.

I also found the command to clear memory - DELETE ALL, instead of LOAD "COMM0".

ENJOY!

Jim Ford

Ha, Tony, I've copied code from that EDN magazine article myself. I'm running into an issue with Python not finding the numpy, pandas, and visa libraries. I guess that's what they're called, libraries. Will dig into it more this weekend. Just barely getting started with Python and GPIB myself. It's sure a learning experience. Good luck!

Jim Ford