Tek and DEC - just curious

Tim Phillips

from Tim P (UK)

I have always been curious about the tie-in between Tektronix and DEC,
particularly
regarding the LSI and semiconductor test systems. I was browsing the 1987
catalog, which shows Tek equipment alongside a DEC PDP11 (?) computer.
The photo I am looking at is the one with the rack of 48 sampling heads.
What was the arrangement between the two companies ?

Tim

Dale H. Cook

At 05:13 AM 1/20/2019, you wrote:

What was the arrangement between the two companies?
I would strongly suspect that Tek bought DEC computers for their computer controlled systems, whereas HP developed their own computers for that purpose. I have seen that in my own line of work, where many manufacturers developed their own digital controllers for their equipment, but the best (and most expensive) brand was controlled by PDP-8/M computers.

Dale H. Cook, GR/HP/Tek Collector, Roanoke/Lynchburg, VA
https://plymouthcolony.net/starcity/radios/index.html

Bruce Lane

I'm ignorant of any formal arrangement between the two, but I will say
this: During the time I was taking my first electronics courses at
Merritt College (Oakland, California), in the mid-late 70's, I
discovered their AAS Degree/Electronics program had been tweaked in such
a way that DEC's Bay Area office was hiring the kids right out of
graduation as field techs.

The campus also had a full-blown PDP-11/70 system. In fact, that's what
I took my first programming steps on. I can't say for certain, but I
would not be surprised if whatever arrangement the district (Peralta
Community College District) had with DEC included free maintenance in
return for being a key training spot for field techs.

Keep the peace(es).

--
---
Bruce Lane, ARS KC7GR