UNC Taps

I'm looking for a set of UNC taps covering 5-40, 6-32, 8-32, 10-24, 12-20,
1/4-20, 5/16-18, 3/8-16, 7/16-14. and 1/2-13

Draper in the UK do a set of UNF 2nd taper (intermediate) taps in High
Carbon steel

<https://www.drapertools.com/product/79199/UNF-Hand-Tap-Set-(10-Piece)>

But strangely not a UNC set. So I'm looking for a similar set in UNC

Please will someone point me to a suitable set (not too spendy), as my
google foo seems to have deserted me.

Thanks
David

Larry McDavid

David, I live in Anaheim, California and I have a very complete metal machine shop. And, I have a nearby machine tool supply house so I can buy individual taps in any size you want. I've done this for a friend in The Netherlands, for example.

If you don't find a source for a suitable set, I can get the individual taps and ship them to you. These would be good quality taps, not cheap ones. I can get taper, plug and bottom styles in any size, really. I can select import (to USA) or US-made taps. All are available off-the-shelf nearby, less than three miles away from my home.

Let me know if I can help...

Larry W6FUB

--
Best wishes,

Larry McDavid W6FUB

EricJ

I would take Larry up on that offer. You don't want carbon steel, get high speed steel.
--Eric
Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.

-------- Original message --------From: Larry McDavid <lmcdavid@lmceng.com> Date: 1/16/19 11:33 PM (GMT-06:00) To: TekScopes@groups.io Subject: Re: [TekScopes] UNC Taps
[...]

Anaheim, California  (SE of Los Angeles, near Disneyland)

Dave Seiter

Yeah, carbon steel taps are junk.  3-x and 5-x taps are "abnormal" these days.  Useful, but harder to find.  I'm not even sure if I have any of the 3-x sizes.
-Dave--------- On Wednesday, January 16, 2019, 9:58:23 PM PST, EricJ via Groups.Io <wyzkydd2358=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

I would take Larry up on that offer. You don't want carbon steel, get high speed steel.
--Eric
Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.

-------- Original message --------From: Larry McDavid <lmcdavid@lmceng.com> Date: 1/16/19  11:33 PM  (GMT-06:00) To:

george edmonds

Hi Dave
First 5x40 is no longer used it you probably want 4x40, 1/4 x 20 UNC is interchangeable with 1/4 Whitworth for all practical purposes.
Try looking on eBay there are multiple sets available, but, I doubt if you will find the entire range in one set as tap and die sets usually start at end at 1/4 UNC.
George G6HIG

On Thursday, January 17, 2019 8:24 AM, Dave Seiter <d.seiter@att.net> wrote:

Yeah, carbon steel taps are junk.  3-x and 5-x taps are "abnormal" these days.  Useful, but harder to find.  I'm not even sure if I have any of the 3-x sizes.
-Dave---------    On Wednesday, January 16, 2019, 9:58:23 PM PST, EricJ via Groups.Io <wyzkydd2358=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

I would take Larry up on that offer. You don't want carbon steel, get high speed steel.
--Eric
Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.
-------- Original message --------From: Larry McDavid <lmcdavid@lmceng.com> Date: 1/16/19  11:33 PM  (GMT-06:00) To:

Mark Pilant

Hi George.

First 5x40 is no longer used it you probably want 4x40
While 4x40 is a very common size now, I have some "older" Tektronix scopes
(I believe they are the 200 series) where the set/grub screw is indeed 5x40.
Just another data point :-)

I'll second/third/etc. the recommendation for high speed steel (HSS) taps.
You don't want to have to extract a broken tap.

- Mark N1VQW

Actually carbon steel would be OK, I'm just going to use them to clean out rusted rivetnuts after drilling out the screw.

If I can get HSS cheaply then ...

Dave

[...]

Been there - suffered the pain.

Dave

Dave Daniel

Consider that at some point in the future you may want HSS for s different task.

Sent from a small flat thingy

On Jan 17, 2019, at 12:47, David C. Partridge <david.partridge@perdrix.co.uk> wrote:

[...]

Hi Dave.

I'm just going to use them to clean out rusted rivetnuts after drilling out the screw.
Might it just be easier to drill out the rivetnut and replace it completely?
Since you are drilling out the screw anyway.) Especially if they are the
aluminum ones instead of the steel ones.

The actual fasteners are pretty cheap and it is fairly easy to set them without
the proper tool. (I had to install a handful of them to install the brake
lines on the 1932 Ford chassis of the hot rod I'm building. :-)

- Mark N1VQW

Rob Weinstock

My go-to vendors for this type of stuff are:
• Fastenal
• MSC Direct
• Grainger
• Harbor Freight

HF will be the cheapest but also lowest quality. Don’t expect to be able to tap 00’s of hoes in high carbon steel with an HF tap set.

Note that these are all US-based vendors.

Regards,

Rob

On Jan 16, 2019, at 9:33 PM, Larry McDavid <lmcdavid@lmceng.com> wrote:

[...]

Dan Cordova <danny_cordov@...>

Guys- rivets are not threaded into the metal. I think what you are talking about using a tap to clean up the nut that is held in place with rivets?
Personally, I like little machine shop, Enco, MSC or McMaster Carr, etc. They have two or three different quality (priced) taps. High Speed Steel (HSS) will work fine.
Of course if you're intimidated by the number of selections from the online sources, go to a big box hardware store and buy the cheapest tap they have, especially if you're not going into the machining business.

On Thursday, January 17, 2019, 12:04:52 PM PST, Mark Pilant <mark@n1vqw.net> wrote:

Hi Dave.

> I'm just going to use them to clean out rusted rivetnuts after drilling out the screw.

Might it just be easier to drill out the rivetnut and replace it completely?
Since you are drilling out the screw anyway.)  Especially if they are the
aluminum ones instead of the steel ones.

The actual fasteners are pretty cheap and it is fairly easy to set them without
the proper tool.  (I had to install a handful of them to install the brake
lines on the 1932 Ford chassis of the hot rod I'm building. :-)

- Mark  N1VQW

n4buq

I think he's talking about a rivet nut (essentially a rivet that has internal threads). Commonly used in sheet metal.

Thanks,
Barry - N4BUQ

Guys- rivets are not threaded into the metal. I think what you are talking
about using a tap to clean up the nut that is held in place with rivets?
Personally, I like little machine shop, Enco, MSC or McMaster Carr, etc. They
have two or three different quality (priced) taps. High Speed Steel (HSS)
will work fine.
Of course if you're intimidated by the number of selections from the online
sources, go to a big box hardware store and buy the cheapest tap they have,
especially if you're not going into the machining business.

On Thursday, January 17, 2019, 12:04:52 PM PST, Mark Pilant
<mark@n1vqw.net> wrote:

Hi Dave.

> I'm just going to use them to clean out rusted rivetnuts after drilling
> out the screw.

Might it just be easier to drill out the rivetnut and replace it completely?
Since you are drilling out the screw anyway.)  Especially if they are the
aluminum ones instead of the steel ones.

The actual fasteners are pretty cheap and it is fairly easy to set them
without
the proper tool.  (I had to install a handful of them to install the brake
lines on the 1932 Ford chassis of the hot rod I'm building. :-)

- Mark  N1VQW

EricJ

Commonly called Riv-Nuts as well.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rivet_nut
On the HSS/carbon steel front: the carbon steel taps will dull faster too. If you only plan on occasional use and not too many holes, get whatever you can cheaply. Any tap will probably work for cleaning out the rivnuts on Tek scopes.

-------- Original message --------From: n4buq <n4buq@knology.net> Date: 1/17/19 2:22 PM (GMT-06:00) To: TekScopes@groups.io Subject: Re: [TekScopes] UNC Taps
I think he's talking about a rivet nut (essentially a rivet that has internal threads).  Commonly used in sheet metal.

Thanks,
Barry - N4BUQ

Guys- rivets are not threaded into the metal. I think what you are talking
about using a tap to clean up the nut that is held in place with rivets?
Personally, I like little machine shop, Enco, MSC or McMaster Carr, etc. They
have two or three different quality (priced) taps. High Speed Steel (HSS)
will work fine.
Of course if you're intimidated by the number of selections from the online
sources, go to a big box hardware store and buy the cheapest tap they have,
especially if you're not going into the machining business.

     On Thursday, January 17, 2019, 12:04:52 PM PST, Mark Pilant
     <mark@n1vqw.net> wrote:

  Hi Dave.

  > I'm just going to use them to clean out rusted rivetnuts after drilling
  > out the screw.

Might it just be easier to drill out the rivetnut and replace it completely?
Since you are drilling out the screw anyway.)  Especially if they are the
aluminum ones instead of the steel ones.

The actual fasteners are pretty cheap and it is fairly easy to set them
without
the proper tool.  (I had to install a handful of them to install the brake
lines on the 1932 Ford chassis of the hot rod I'm building. :-)

- Mark  N1VQW

ROLYNN PRECHTL K7DFW

Might it just be easier to drill out the rivetnut and replace it completely?
Since you are drilling out the screw anyway.) Especially if they are the
aluminum ones instead of the steel ones.

Tektronix used PEM NUTS which are difficult to obtain and difficult to replace correctly. They are a swage nut and once the chassis hole is enlarged or distorted it's game-over.

Those ungodly rivet nuts would make a fine Tek instrument look like a kluge.

Rolynn
Tek Bvtn and Sunset 1966-1971

Larry McDavid

"PEM" is a brand, the best-known brand, of clinch nuts and clinch studs, as well as many other kinds of fasteners; there is a very extensive catalog of PEM products available.

Clinch nuts and clinch studs, though not necessarily the PEM brand, are readily available in several materials and many styles and sizes from McMaster-Carr but are identified as, "Steel Press-Fit Nuts," for example.

Most electronic chassis made of sheet metal use these clinching fasteners to provide good, hard threads for attaching things to the chassis.

These clinch fasteners are meant for one-time installation as they plastically deform the sheet metal when they are clinched in-place. Removal is possible but difficult; replacement is problematical, at best. Clinch fasteners are commonly used in aluminum sheet metal.

If the chassis is made of steel instead of aluminum, clinch fasteners are seldom used; instead, weld nuts and weld studs are commonly used and are spot welded in-place. Then the unfinished steel fastener is plated or otherwise finished along with the steel sheet metal chassis.

Clinch nuts and clinch studs are easily used and I keep a supply of many types and sizes on-hand. An arbor press or even a large bench vise is all that is needed for installation into sheet metal, though special hand tools are also available.

Unless terribly, terribly rusted, rust seldom destroys the threads themselves beyond function. A tap would be handy to clean up the threads but then some kind of metal finish would be needed to prevent further rusting.

Larry

On 1/17/2019 1:45 PM, ROLYNN PRECHTL K7DFW wrote:

Might it just be easier to drill out the rivetnut and replace it completely?
Since you are drilling out the screw anyway.) Especially if they are the
aluminum ones instead of the steel ones.
Tektronix used PEM NUTS which are difficult to obtain and difficult to replace correctly. They are a swage nut and once the chassis hole is enlarged or distorted it's game-over.
Those ungodly rivet nuts would make a fine Tek instrument look like a kluge.
Rolynn
Tek Bvtn and Sunset 1966-1971
--
Best wishes,

Larry McDavid W6FUB

Jim Potter

Nice explanation of PEM nuts and studs. They are quite useful and not all that hard to install.

I buy ready made and custom chassis from Par-Metal http://www.par-metal.com/. I use their Series 14 exclusively since these are EMI/RFI rated. They make extensive use of PEM nuts on all the panels. The front panels have PEM studs to hold 1/2" angle brackets with PEM nuts to fasten the front edges of the top and bottom covers.

Jim

Adrian

So my two penneth....

Taps, avoid carbon steel, not so much because it wears faster - not sure they do if properly heat-treated actually? - but because they are way more brittle and extracting busted taps is no fun at all. I have managed to find small (used or NOS) UNC HSS taps on ebay for not much money and they are fine - I tend to go for a brand I've heard of.

PEM, yes use them a lot, nutserts and studs. Appian and Zygology are two good UK distributors who carry a reasonable stock range but also don't hit you with a daft MOQ for non-stock items. Don't know how they are off for UNC as we use metric.

Replacing PEM fasteners is only problematic IMHO if you need the full retention performance, in many (most?) cases  you don't as once the fastener is done up the parts are not dependent on the stud or nut retention so I have found either knocking them out with a punch or, better, pushing with toggle or fly press and replacing them works just fine.

Adrian

On 1/17/2019 5:47 PM, David C. Partridge wrote:
[...]

Yes they do wear faster. HSS is FAR more wear resistant. I worked in machine shops for about 20 years; carbon steel sucks for cutting steel. Also, try grinding some carbon steel on a bench grinder then try grinding some HSS. Carbon steel is like butter in comparison. HSS is also usually at least a few points harder on the Rc scale. If you want to go crazy you can actually even get tungsten carbide taps. Those would be the most wear resistant but they are brittle. And expensive.

-------- Original message --------From: Adrian <Adrian@nicol1.org.uk> Date: 1/18/19 3:05 AM (GMT-06:00) To: TekScopes@groups.io Subject: Re: [TekScopes] UNC Taps
[...]

James R. Bartlett

David,
I came across company in the UK.
Link.
www.engineering- supplies.com/UNC_Taps
PH. +44 1453 758285.
They list the 5-40 as well as 4-40.HSS.
Hope this might help.
Regards
Jim
Ei2BB

On Thu, 17 Jan 2019 at 05:06, David C. Partridge <