From: TekScopes@groups.io [mailto:TekScopes@groups.io] On Behalf Of John Ferguson via Groups.Io
Sent: 24 November 2018 17:53
To: TekScopes@groups.io
Subject: [TekScopes] the %$## variable knobs for 24** series scopes

I broke one. This scope was going to a friend so I'll need to fix it.
Plan is to 3d print a sleeve which will fit inside the knob and over the
extension and be indexed to the single tab that didn't get broken. After
I've made a couple, I'll figure out how to adhere the knob to the 3d
print and then the Tek extension - the white sleeve.

Just asking before I get into this, but are there any of the originals
available anywhere?

John Ferguson

Not those Colin,

These are the ones which go under the CRT.  As you can see, the ones in the picture are very nice and SUBSTANTIAL and this is likely why they are still available.  FWIW, I have a lot of spares of the ones in Qservice's picture.  after posting my earlier picture, I think I can revive one that is mostly still whole and maybe I can avoid making the sleeves.  I may try it anyway just to see if Ican make anything that's any good.  Looks like the trick will be to make a thick washer with the shaft hole and the two ribs, then grind out what's left of the tabs in the knob, glue the thick-washer in and see how that works.

best,

john

On 11/24/18 1:19 PM, Colin Herbert via Groups.Io wrote:
Would this be what you want? I can recommend Qservice.

https://www.qservice.tv/vpasp/shopexd.asp?id=13506

Colin.

I broke one. This scope was going to a friend so I'll need to fix it.
Plan is to 3d print a sleeve which will fit inside the knob and over the
extension and be indexed to the single tab that didn't get broken. After
I've made a couple, I'll figure out how to adhere the knob to the 3d
print and then the Tek extension - the white sleeve.

Just asking before I get into this, but are there any of the originals
available anywhere?

A lot of people have used RTV to "glue" the knob cover directly to the nylon sleeve.  I haven't tried it but it should work.  RTV is not "permanent" in that you can still pull the knob off when necessary, clean out the RTV and re-glue it.  Might be messy to get the knob aligned properly though.  Your idea of a 3D printed "washer" would be welcomed by many.  I have a half dozen or so of knob covers just waiting for washers.