Topics

Advice needed on equipment cart

Chris Wilkson

It turns out they aren't directly rack mountable. They have pull-carry handles instead of rack mount ears. Nice but not perfect.

I did finally purchase a 12U rolling rack here:
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1260045-REG/auray_ers_12u_ers_12u_steel_equipment.html

The equipment is designed to stack and screw lock together. I put it on the rack's flat top and I plan to keep the manuals and any fixtures, etc. in the rack space below.

Thanks all, for the recommendations!

Renée

yes the HF thing may be too narrow 16X30 in. unless you do as I did and add plywood top and angle it for easier viewing, my surface is 20X34 in. after top added. the item no. 60390/507 was $38.00 now $29.99 coupon is good till end of the year.
Renée

On 2018-10-29 1:00 p.m., Chris Wilkson via Groups.Io wrote:
@Hakan: That's exactly the info I needed. That's not going to cut it.

@Mark: I used to have a half rack....gave it away years ago. Then got this beast. So yes, that's an option I considered. I need to figure out how many -U's I need (vertical size).
It's hard to find racks around here though. Everything is melamine and plastic casters, or 2 post with tiny casters. Or no wheels at all.
Still looking though...

@Renee: I also considered a utility cart option. I haven't found anything the right size yet. They're all too narrow (14-16") or too wide (36"). I'm hoping to avoid building anything, but I might have to. Do you know the item # of the Harbor Freight cart?

Dave Seiter

I found the cheapest HF cart (two shelves) to be flimsy, but the second cheapest (three shelves) can handle a lot of weight.  I have my 4x6 bandsaw on the inverted top shelf, and the other two shelves have about 200lbs of tooling on them.
-Dave

To: TekScopes@groups.io
Sent: Monday, October 29, 2018 10:45 AM
Subject: Re: [TekScopes] Advice needed on equipment cart

for some of my equipment I have been using a Harbor Freight metal
rolling cart. Put plywood 30 degree angle on top, bottom shelf for
manuals, pwr supplies etc....currently there is a cart in the coupons
for 29.99.....normally 80.....If you want plastic...well they are more
Renée

On 2018-10-29 9:45 a.m., Mark Goldberg wrote:
How about a rolling 19" rack? There are lots of them, new and used,
available in many different sizes and configurations. I've even seen rack
mounted shelves to provide a work surface. I don't have specific ones to
suggest.

Regards,

Mark

On Mon, Oct 29, 2018 at 9:02 AM Chris Wilkson via Groups.Io <cwilkson=
yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

I have an HP VNA stack (8505A, 8503A, 8501A) that I want to put on a
cart.  The gear is about 130 lbs without cables, manuals, etc.  It's also
rack width.  It's hard to find carts for this big heavy stuff.

I'm looking at a Tek K217/s on ebay, but I can't find any specs for it.
Does anyone here have a manual?  Or just know what the weight capacity is?
  (top shelf and total weight)  And if it will fit rack sized analyzers?

Any advice on the K217/s or any other cart that would work is much
appreciated!

Jim Ford

Speaking of Harbor Freight, I bought some 275 pound (IIRC) rated casters there a few months ago for my workbench.  Maybe there's a way to replace the casters on a rack to beef up the weight handling?  Just a thought.Jim FSent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone

-------- Original message --------From: "Chris Wilkson via Groups.Io" <cwilkson=yahoo.com@groups.io> Date: 10/29/18 1:00 PM (GMT-08:00) To: TekScopes@groups.io Subject: Re: [TekScopes] Advice needed on equipment cart @Hakan:  That's exactly the info I needed.  That's not going to cut it.@Mark:  I used to have a half rack....gave it away years ago.  Then got this beast.  So yes, that's an option I considered.  I need to figure out how many -U's I need (vertical size).It's hard to find racks around here though. Everything is melamine and plastic casters, or 2 post with tiny casters.  Or no wheels at all.Still looking though...@Renee:  I also considered a utility cart option.  I haven't found anything the right size yet.  They're all too narrow (14-16") or too wide (36").   I'm hoping to avoid building anything, but I might have to.  Do you know the item # of the Harbor Freight cart?

Paul Amaranth

I found a hospital crash cart at my local university surplus that I'm going to use
for my LA (16700). It's got 4 inch casters, drawers and could handle 300lbs easy.

Got it for $35.

Paul

On Mon, Oct 29, 2018 at 09:02:33AM -0700, Chris Wilkson via Groups.Io wrote:
I have an HP VNA stack (8505A, 8503A, 8501A) that I want to put on a cart. The gear is about 130 lbs without cables, manuals, etc. It's also rack width. It's hard to find carts for this big heavy stuff.

I'm looking at a Tek K217/s on ebay, but I can't find any specs for it. Does anyone here have a manual? Or just know what the weight capacity is? (top shelf and total weight) And if it will fit rack sized analyzers?

Any advice on the K217/s or any other cart that would work is much appreciated!

!DSPAM:5bd74515320678265213693!
--
Paul Amaranth, GCIH | Manchester MI, USA
Aurora Group, Inc. | Security, Systems & Software
paul@... | Unix & Windows

Chris Wilkson

@Hakan: That's exactly the info I needed. That's not going to cut it.

@Mark: I used to have a half rack....gave it away years ago. Then got this beast. So yes, that's an option I considered. I need to figure out how many -U's I need (vertical size).
It's hard to find racks around here though. Everything is melamine and plastic casters, or 2 post with tiny casters. Or no wheels at all.
Still looking though...

@Renee: I also considered a utility cart option. I haven't found anything the right size yet. They're all too narrow (14-16") or too wide (36"). I'm hoping to avoid building anything, but I might have to. Do you know the item # of the Harbor Freight cart?

On Mon, Oct 29, 2018 at 05:02 PM, Chris Wilkson wrote:

I'm looking at a Tek K217/s on ebay, but I can't find any specs for it. Does
anyone here have a manual? Or just know what the weight capacity is?
According to the 1990 catalog it is:
Top tray 100lbs
Base 100lbs
Total 200 lbs

/Håkan

Renée

for some of my equipment I have been using a Harbor Freight metal rolling cart. Put plywood 30 degree angle on top, bottom shelf for manuals, pwr supplies etc....currently there is a cart in the coupons for 29.99.....normally 80.....If you want plastic...well they are more
Renée

On 2018-10-29 9:45 a.m., Mark Goldberg wrote:
suggest.

Regards,

Mark

cart. The gear is about 130 lbs without cables, manuals, etc. It's also
rack width. It's hard to find carts for this big heavy stuff.

Does anyone here have a manual? Or just know what the weight capacity is?
(top shelf and total weight) And if it will fit rack sized analyzers?

appreciated!

Mark Goldberg

suggest.

Regards,

Mark

cart. The gear is about 130 lbs without cables, manuals, etc. It's also
rack width. It's hard to find carts for this big heavy stuff.

Does anyone here have a manual? Or just know what the weight capacity is?
(top shelf and total weight) And if it will fit rack sized analyzers?

appreciated!

Chris Wilkson

I have an HP VNA stack (8505A, 8503A, 8501A) that I want to put on a cart. The gear is about 130 lbs without cables, manuals, etc. It's also rack width. It's hard to find carts for this big heavy stuff.

I'm looking at a Tek K217/s on ebay, but I can't find any specs for it. Does anyone here have a manual? Or just know what the weight capacity is? (top shelf and total weight) And if it will fit rack sized analyzers?

Any advice on the K217/s or any other cart that would work is much appreciated!